Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I got a hundred bucks says I know who that friend is you're talking about. Same friend taught me the same lesson. Still have an old water bottle with holes poked in the lid. Genius!

As someone that started my hammock career in Florida, I totally agree with the brisk rinse-off at the end of the day to help you deal with the heat. Clean skin (or cleaner skin) stays much cooler than skin covered in oil and dirt. Plus, you feel human again after hiking in 90+ degree temps and 99% humidity. Nice feeling!
    water bottle with holes in the lid...GENIUS!!
    making one right now (man, I'm easily impressed cause I have no imagination of my own!)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    the heat is for kayaking i HATE the heat hiking. anything above 50 i start sweating. 20* is the BEST for hiking.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    the heat is for kayaking i HATE the heat hiking. anything above 50 i start sweating. 20* is the BEST for hiking.
    I like your style Karl! Been eyeballing those kayaks for my lake and some river backpacking.
    Sounds and looks like the way to go in summer!!!!!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I agree k. karl! I'm in South Florida and I simply can't sleep outside in summer. It's not just the heat, if you stand outside for 10 minutes, you will mildew! It's the humidity.

I go to New England once each summer for a backpacking trip. That's all the outdoors that I get to enjoy for summer.

Of course, during the winter, Florida is pleasant. But then again, call me a gluten for punishment, I go to New England in the dead of winter too, for snow camping trips.

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    OK just so you guys/gals know, I am HOT (assuming you like fat, old, bald headed men) but did not want to get off topic here.
    Ditto here-add hairy too!
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    OK just so you guys/gals know, I am HOT (assuming you like fat, old, bald headed men) but did not want to get off topic here.
    Fat is a matter of opinion, bald is sexaaaayyyyy. Old is a state of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Well in my opinion I am fat. If bald is sexy, I am one of the sexiest men in the world. Old is not a state of mind. My mind says I am young, my body says otherwise.

And in response to Karl: I am not in to hiking at all, which would explain the fat comment above, but I am a kayaker year round. Some even say I am a professional kayaker?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    The US Military doesn't think fat is a matter of opinion. I had to watch everybody else eat PB&Js in the mess hall because my CC had determined I was a 'fat kid'.
    Bald is only sexy on other people.
    I lost my mind when I was young, can't speak to that one.

Kayaking to keep cool. Have you guys been paddling out here in the Rockies? That water won't just keep you cool, it'll make things shrink. IT'S REALLY FREAKING COLD! Genuine Draft wants to go whitewater rafting this month so I've been busy trying to find my old wetsuits. Did I mention that water is cold?
    Trust nobody!

I don't do the cold water kayaking stuff. I fish from kayaks and I prefer slow rivers or the salt water. Yea yea I know I am getting off topic here.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    well to help get it back on topic I will put my 2 cents worth in

we have bad humidity here and the last two day's have been in the mid 90's and 70 at night. I must say that it is hard to sleep when I am hot in fact I sleep with the window cracked and a fan on in the winter to tell you how I don't like to be hot.

Having said that your body can become chilled at anything below you body's core temperature and have found my self sweating and becoming chilled when it was 86 outside at night. I too do not use any kind of padding or underquilt in the summer I have a light fleece blanket I use and it is almost always pushed up to the foot end of hammock.

at home I sleep with very little on if anything and out camping in the summer I sleep with under armor boxers and sometimes even a under armor tea shirt it does great thing to those of us who sweat it helps wick away the water and any little breeze feels cool and wonderful.

okay places to hang as someone else mentioned sleeping near a stream is great but you have bugs to contend with. try to place the hammock were it is going to catch any air and set the tarp accordingly if your in a hilly or mountain area try to pitch the hammock and tarp close to the edge of them as it almost always has air movement off of it. I have also found that if you have a good stand of pine tree's that it is often cooler in them than it is under other types of trees. I contribute this to the fact that the needles on the ground do not let the heat build up on the ground. ( I stayed at a holiday inn express last night) I don't have a degree in forestry so don't hold me to that.

and lastly hang the tarp and hammock higher in the air so that you do not get as much ground heat and it will allow more room for air to flow and keep you back side cooler.

that's it

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast