WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

MS>Noxubee Trail System Overnighter

My 10-yr old and I did an backpacking overnighter this weekend at the Noxubee Trail System in central Mississippi: Trail Map

It was a pretty remote location for these parts. We had to travel by gravel road for about 6 1/2 miles to get to the trailhead and then hiked 3 miles before setting up camp. We set up about 50 yards off the trail which was approximately 100 yards from a large field and 200 yards from a small stream.

It was the first hike with our hammocks and only the second time we have set them up. I have a Warbonnet Blackbird which is actually the newly updated version. You can see pictures if you are interested in this thread. My son has a Hennessy Scout Zip.

The trails in the Noxubee trail system are very well maintained with an abundance of markings and signage. We took Sheep Ranch Trail to Log Jump Trail before setting up.

The trails are mostly used by mountain bikers but we saw two groups of hikers and I know there is some hunters that use the area. We took advantage of the "camp anywhere" policies and enjoyed being in a remote area by ourselves.

Here are a few pics from the trail. Its hard to tell but the last one is a pic by a huge area of ferns.

We used the PCT method to hang our garbage bag of food. Since we don't have bears in our area I put it about 9-10 feet off the ground. Even though it survived the night apparently that was not high enough because the bag had puncture marks the next morning. I initially thought it was a mouse but couldn't see anything on the inside disturbed. I am thinking that maybe a raccoon tried grabbing it by jumping from a neighboring tree?

There is an abundance of wildlife and during the night we heard deer, raccoons, coyotes, and maybe even a fox. I think the field we were by is used as a food plot during hunting season and I am sure a lot of animals were headed toward the stream. In the morning we found fresh deer scat within 10 feet of our hammocks.

The stream proved to be pretty puny and it was difficult to get a significant amount of water in our Sawyer bags. I wish I would have brought some type of scooper so will learn from that next time.

The only downside of the trip is that the temperature dipped well below the forecasted 44 degrees. In fact, it got all the way down to 35. My 40 degree top quilt was not quite enough in a hammock despite my BA insulated air core sleeping pad and a windshield visor. My son got cold too and got in my hammock with me at about 3 am. So now we have a better idea about our limits with cold (until we get new gear that is).

Otherwise, we were both extremely comfortable in our hammocks and even comfortable when he moved over to mine. So overall it was a GREAT trip and just wanted to take some time to share!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    Thanks for sharing, looked like a great trip. Lifetime memories for you and your son.

Images
    Nice work MV. Lots of fun and some solid lessons learned. Well done.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Ummm, I have a question??
    What's all that brown stuff called?

My woods look like this...

Nice trip.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Great trip! It's fun that you're both tackling this hammocking thing together. He looked completely happy and content in all those photos. Good job Dad!

Hammock
    HH Explorer, 2 or 3 others
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Pads + Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    Stock (for now)
    Great experience to share with your son, Vol! I too have a 10yo son and we're looking forward to our first hanging overnighter together this Spring... HH ExpDeluxe for me and the gratis HH Cub for my son.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    I'm with Gargoyle. Cannot relate to a brown landscape this time of year!

Just kidding, thanks for great pictures and to me, a different kind of winter camping!
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    HH Explorer, 2 or 3 others
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Pads + Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    Stock (for now)
    Great experience to share with your son, Vol! I too have a 10yo son and we're looking forward to our first hanging overnighter together this Spring... HH ExpDeluxe for me and the gratis HH Cub for my son.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Ummm, I have a question??
    What's all that brown stuff called?

My woods look like this...

Nice trip.
    what is that stuff in your picture?
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

glad you and your son were able to get out. Other than the temps getting lower than you expected I bet you both had a great time
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast