Tarp
    Nothing Yet
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Weeks 16-19 in the Great North Woods

Weeks 16, 17, 18 and 19

It seemed a little much to put one of these up every 7 days, so here's a four week summary of the weekly camping adventures my son and I have been taking.

Week 16: Spent a VERY windy night nestled in a protected stand of oaks. We attached the foot of the hammocks to the same tree and V'ed out the heads to two others. Just something to try, and I didn't notice any issues with that sort of double-hang set up.

It got down to -6, which wasn't bad, but once we exited the woods and got hit with the 20 mph winds the next morning...frigid! Nice clear night, but had a bit of an issue with my pad around the shoulder area that I'm going to work on.

Week 17: We went up to Camp Horace Johnson, on Island Lake with about 15 Boy Scouts. Since it was another subzero night, the boys had the option to stay in the bunk house or brave the elements. 14 boys stayed in, one stayed out...

It got down to 4 below, but actually warmed up around 2:00 am. By the morning, it was a balmy 6 degrees. It started to snow around 5:00, but once I figured out why my face was getting wet, I just draped the extra hammock material from my Double-Nester over my face and immediately went back to sleep.

Week 18: Last Friday's camp out marked the 20th day in a row of subzero nights for my neck of the woods. I don't know if it was that, or the limited amount of time we had to get ready, but we decided to "go to ground" in a quinzee. The last time we had used this particular shelter was a -30 night around week 12, and a decent amount of settling had taken place with the snow pack since then, so I re-punched some ventilation holes, and had to squeeze through the entrance. Once inside it quickly became nice and warm and I slept like a baby until 8:30 the next morning!

Week 19: Saturday’s camp out started out fairly warm at around 6 degrees, but dropped down to -9 by morning (record breaking day 60 over all of sub zero temps this winter.) We set up our hammocks in an L shaped configuration. We've been reading “The Mysterious Benedict Society” every night before bed for the last week, and my son asked me to try it in the hammocks too. I just used my head lamp for a reading light and it worked out better than I thought. It started snowing as we went to sleep, but when nature called around 3:00 AM the clouds had left and it was a very bright, clear night with a full moon. I took the book out again to see if it was bright enough to read by moon light, and it was! I had to cover my eyes with my hat to get back to sleep. Great night out in the woods…but aren't they all!

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    "One stayed out"

I hope that my future kids are as brave as yours.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    great pics and report! inspirational,
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The memories your son will have of figuring it out together will cause him to remember this fondly! Good on ya.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great pictures! Love seeing some nice ENOs in the wild
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Great stuff! One question, do you guys not have tarps?

HY
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    ENO Double Nester
    Tarp
    Nothing Yet
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    We do have a tarps, but until we run into a rain situation, I prefer the view that going without provides. The super clear, star filled, winter nights have been specular enough that the couple of times we've had snow wasn't that big a deal.

Having said that, I'm sure once we get a little more versed in ridge lines, Dutch clips, prusik knots, and which-a-ma-giggees, we will be using the tarps on a consistent basis. At this point we have a great deal of enthusiasm, but very little knowledge. Learning more here every day though!

Quick Update: Week 20

With high winds and 14 inches or so of fresh snow on Thursday night, the nice trail I had blazed last week to our campsite had completely drifted over. So rather than wade through hip deep snow for a 1/4 of a mile, we decided to shovel out the massive drift in front of our trusty quinzee for Friday night's camp out. We had to make a drift fence of sorts to make sure we could get back out in the morning, (winds were wicked all weekend...LOTS of drifting going on.) but we had another excellent night in our snow cave. It's amazing how quiet it is. Even with the howling winds, you couldn't hear anything outside of the cave.

• + New Posts