Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    phoenix 20F
    Suspension
    webbing&dutchware

Max length of a pad for a WBBB?

Heya all,
    I need some advice, I'm going to buy a Exped Synmat UL LW for those occasions where I have to sleep on the ground . The mat could do double duty and be used as bottom insulation for my WBBB on multi day walks so I can also sleep in huts. Is the length of the Synmat 197cm/77inches too long to use in the WBBB?

Cheers,
    Metz

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

XXL Sleep pad in WBBB

No exactly answer u wanted. But i have used REI XXL 2.5X29X78 inch sleep pad in WBBB XLC and had plenty of extra length space, but was close to limit on width to go diagonal. The R5.8 gave good insulation down little below freezing might do well below that i don't know, so warm in TX/OK. As u know this is not a good long term hang solution: very bulky and condensation issues. But i have tons of space when using 12' canoe or 14' kayak for transport to wilderness. Hope this helps, not fun to return pad to store. PS i like segmented pad cover idea from Speer and others, a future go to gnd project or purchase for me, more packable.

I have a synmat 7 lw, same size as yours but slightly warmer. My lite owl is a foot longer than the blackbird. The pad is too long to fit well diagonally, the foot end slopes upward about 30 degrees. It's not warmer than 1/2 inch thick ccf which was disappointing given its high r value and high price. Check out Shug's videos, a smaller inflatable stacked on ccf works well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl,DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    phoenix 20F
    Suspension
    webbing&dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    No exactly answer u wanted. But i have used REI XXL 2.5X29X78 inch sleep pad in WBBB XLC and had plenty of extra length space, but was close to limit on width to go diagonal. The R5.8 gave good insulation down little below freezing might do well below that i don't know, so warm in TX/OK. As u know this is not a good long term hang solution: very bulky and condensation issues. But i have tons of space when using 12' canoe or 14' kayak for transport to wilderness. Hope this helps, not fun to return pad to store. PS i like segmented pad cover idea from Speer and others, a future go to gnd project or purchase for me, more packable.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakine View Post
    I have a synmat 7 lw, same size as yours but slightly warmer. My lite owl is a foot longer than the blackbird. The pad is too long to fit well diagonally, the foot end slopes upward about 30 degrees. It's not warmer than 1/2 inch thick ccf which was disappointing given its high r value and high price. Check out Shug's videos, a smaller inflatable stacked on ccf works well.
    Mmmmm sounds like its not gonna work as double duty I might even try a ccf pad although I'm not a fan on sleeping on the ground on them,
    I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy a separate ground rig.

Thanks dakine and ntxkayakr for your prompt answers.

• + New Posts