Hammock
    HH Ultra light
    Tarp
    stock tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomic
    Images

Snake Skinned hammock

Does anyone out there put there snaked skinned hammock into a stuff sack/dry bag/compression sack when they are packing up? It seems like it will pack into my backpack easier that way when cleaning up. I am curious what size you all use? And if anyone thinks this is over kill or not?
    Thanks again. i want to be prepared for when my hammock comes that i can get right into the woods.

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    At the present time... Once my HH hammock is in the skins, I put it in the factory stuff sack. I find it a pain, at times, but I like to keep things organized. I couldn't find the thread that discussed this... But, it is usually personal preference.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    My only hammock that I have snakeskins for is my hennessy and I don't use a stuff sack. I just fold the snake up into a bundle about 15" long and wrap the support ropes around the bundle and put it in my pack.. That keeps it pretty well organized for me. And the snakeskins are pretty waterproof so I don't see a need for a dry sack as well.

Actually I don't often use a stuff sack for my other hammocks either. I roll them up and wrap them in their support lines and that makes a nice little bundle (though not waterproof).

Quote Originally Posted by JEVanHorn View Post
    Does anyone out there put there snaked skinned hammock into a stuff sack/dry bag/compression sack when they are packing up?
    Yes. I use a small stuff sack from a sleeping bag. It also holds my webbing straps and my carabiners. I find it easier to deal with the skinned hammock that way.

(So why skin it at all? Why not just use the stuff sack? Fair question. Leaving the hammock skinned but hung gives me more room under the tarp if it's raining and I want to cook or hang out. Makes it easier to pack up in the morning in rainy weather, too. I suppose I could just shove the skinned hammock inside my pack, but I tried that and didn't like it.)

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    I was able to use the stock Skins for my Exped. Asym with the 70d hex fly (much bigger than standard) and am able to get them in the skins (both hammock and fly) with no trouble. I then wrap them together with the tie out lines and put them back in the original hammock bag. It takes some manhandling but it is a good option for keeping the pack organized and for keeping things from snagging your hammock while in the bag.

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I skin and stuff. Snake skins are quick and easy, but I seem to have a fetish for bags, so I wrap the straps around the skins and stuff them in a sack. Adds weight but makes it easier for me to get in my pack the way I want it.

I don't know of any advantage of doing it that way, it's just a preference. A blackbishop sack is also a great way to keep everything together.
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetairoi View Post
    I skin and stuff. Snake skins are quick and easy, but I seem to have a fetish for bags, so I wrap the straps around the skins and stuff them in a sack. Adds weight but makes it easier for me to get in my pack the way I want it.

I don't know of any advantage of doing it that way, it's just a preference. A blackbishop sack is also a great way to keep everything together.
    Outdoor Research makes a small Sil-nylon compression sack that can make this bundle tiny!!

Images
    I do. It goes into a dry bag after use. this means that my bergan is organised and i don't have loose bits of kit floating around.

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images
    I use military style packs (med or large ALICE with a gen III MOLLE frame or an ATS RAID pack with a tropical airflow external frame). Due to the outside pockets, I don't stuffsack the snakeskinned HH, just feed it into the pouch and press down. I have found that when space is at a premium, a snakeskinned HH is a lot less bulky this way than stuffsacked. For instance, I put all of my shelter gear in the same pouch - HH fly, HH, army hootchie tarp - and it all fits in a med. ALICE external pocket with room for a poncho on top as well.

I prefer not to stuffsack the HH because it can be fed into irregular spaces.

Note that this has just been my experience and as always, your mileage... etc.

Cheers.

• + New Posts