Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie: looking to buy 1st hammock - Hennessy vs Warbonnet BB xl

My son is about to cross over from Webeloes 2 to Boy Scouts. Most of the Troop uses hammocks (including the dads). There are only 3 hammock brands used in the troop eno, Hennessy and warbonnet. I've spoke to everyone and the opinions are the eno guys wish they had bought a Hennessy or Warbonnet. The Hennessy guys like their hennessy's but the warbonnet guys love their BBs. Here's the deal I'm willing to purchase the Hennessy or warbonnet but the warbonnet looks to be about $500 for the XL with winter cover and a large fly. Even though I'm sure it's a phenomenal hammock the Warbonnet seems very expensive. So here's my questions: is the Hennessy a better bang for the buck?
    Does the Hennessy offer a winter cover? Pack size and weight isn't a big factor for me so I would also like to know about each company's rain fly. I want a big, all encompassing rain fly to ensure I stay dry. Should I stick with a warbonnet or Hennessy hammock depending on which one I buy or should I buy a 3rd party rainfly? I also eventually may buy an under quilt but we'll be doing more hot weather camping than cold weather. So ventilation and rain protection is a higher priority. Thanks ahead of time. This is an investment and I don't want to make a bad choice. I'm also going to buy my son one once I'm have tried my own out and he's tried mine out.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hennessy hammocks are tough and affordable. The asym rainfly is a little small but I've slept in a few good rain storms and kept dry in it. It comes in a all in one package. You could always upgrade to a better tarp later and still use the Hennessy.

But I rather my WBBB or DIY ripstop hammock. My kids have dream hammocks. Only got them when I knew they would take good care of them and would stick with hammocking.

Mis-statement regarding rainflys. Should I stick with a Hennessy rainflys if I buy a Hennessy or warbonnet rainfly if I buy a warbonnet or should I buy a 3rd party rainfly? Again I want to stay completely dry in the worst rain storm.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You can get whatever rainfly with whatever hammock. I have a WB superfly and love it. Also have a wilderness logics tadpole and big daddy. Love them all.

Make a spreadsheet with all the tarps available, sizes, prices, and weights or whatever is important to you. All the vendors you see here will have quality equipment.

No dust what made you go with dream hammocks for your kids ? How does dream hammock compare to Hennessy and warbonnet?

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The dream Hammocks were about the lightest with integrated bugnets. We backpack often and wanted to keep their carry weight down.

I didn't care for the HH suspension. It is a good strong durable hammock and for about $150 you can be ready to hang on a tree.

I got my WBBB used on the for sale forum. I have only spent two nights so far on it. I rather a net less hammock if the bugs aren't bad. But the WBBB will get much use come springtime.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    There will a hammock hang in May at Falls Lake ( Smoked Butt Hang). Good place to check out a lot of great hammock set ups.

You might want to check out a Yukon Skeeter Hammock. Woot has them on special for about $30 with shipping on a regular basis. It would a great starter hammock until your son learns more about what gear he will want and or need.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    I have an HH Ultralight backpacker I could let go for cheap. Its just collecting dust..

Its been converted to strap suspension and has a 2QZQ mod done to it so you can enter

from the side or bottom. Think it has Dutch clips as well.

PM if interested.
    Last edited by Gary_R; 02-18-2014 at 23:04.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I don't think you could make a poor decision between the two, but as someone who was making the same decision very recently, I chose WBBB XLC and Superfly Tarp. I am thrilled with the set up thus far and both pieces have been very easy to use for a noobie and the quality is top notch all around (noobie to hanging but not to backpacking gear).

To me the biggest reasons for my decision were the cottage vendor quality, the footbox, and the ability to remove the bug netting completely as well as switch it out for a top cover in colder weather. I also consider the superfly to be one of the most versatile tarps out there.

Some things to consider is if you buy from HH directly you can upgrade to their larger tarp for free, which based on your desires you will need, as the stock tarp is pretty small and can be tough for an inexperienced hanger to get complete coverage in very wet conditions. Another option to consider is to get the HH first, if you love it, get your son one, and if you don't give it to your son and try Warbonnet. Further, if you are an REI member you could buy a HH from them (although you can't upgrade tarp for free this way) get it immediately, and if you don't like you have the option to return it.

Also the guy offering to let go of his for cheap above is likely a good idea also.

Hope that helps!

ETA: One big factor for my decision I forgot was getting a double layer 1.1 so I could keep it light weight but still have the sleeve under me for pads and such for insulation.
    Last edited by loghangin; 02-19-2014 at 09:06.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by packfan View Post
    I also eventually may buy an under quilt but we'll be doing more hot weather camping than cold weather. So ventilation and rain protection is a higher priority.
    most people find they need some kind of insulation underneath them even in temps up to 70 degrees or so, whether it be a pad or underquilt your son will need something for insulation

that being said, i started with a hennessy and switched to a wbbb and will never go back, if it were me i would i would go with a regular blackbird and a superfly, that combination will get him through most anything, i'm 6'3", 200lb and the regular bb is plenty big enough for me, then you can spend some of the extra $ you save and maybe get and underquilt for him

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast