Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!

multiple hammock setups done cheap?

I am in the beginning stages of putting together a camping mens retreat. One of the options I would like to offer is a full hammock sleep gear setup.

If I am thinking right for each person who wanted this I would need:

Hammock
    insulation
    tarp
    bug protection

If all goes well the retreat will be either early summer or late summer (hopefully one of each!!)

I already got an awesome deal on 35 yards of 1.1 ripstop nylon. Right now I am thinking double layer 1.1 hammocks, but I do not know how much weight that would comfortably support.

I was also thinking about buying some cheap blankets and converting them into underquilts.

Haven't given much thought to this yet so feel free to set me straight.

Any ideas? or connections cheap gear?

Hammock
    BIAS Camp XL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    As far as I have seen 250 would be the max on 1.1 rip stop for the hammock.

As far as other things required you would also need to make sure you have all the tree straps and ridge lines etc.

For insulation you can go a few routes. Some have used smaller sleeping bags and made them into under quilts but you have the negative on weight. Not sure if that matters to you or not. Or you could use the 1.1 rip stop and make an underquilt from that and some layers of insulted a bit lighter weight but a bit more money.

Either way good luck and hope this helped a bit

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    Thanks for saying something about the suspension. I was kinda thinking of that as part of the hammock. I was planning on making whoopie sling suspensions for everything. I am sure there are reasons to use other suspension systems, but I just don't see much benefit.

Right now I think I am more concerned with price and size than weight. I have looked but I haven not seen much of cheaper UQs on here. Is there a problem with using regular quilt batting for insulation? Is the biggest downside to this weight or bulk? Cutting down on bulk would be preferred.

Worst case with insulation I can get twin size comforters from Walmart for $15-20 and convert those to UQs

Also, Just in case it wasnt obvious. I do plan on making most of this (Thats why its in the DIY section :P )

Any Ideas on tarps? I would rather not buy a bunch of walmart tarps. I am thinking either something a little nicer, or go even cheaper and buy a big roll of plastic sheeting.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by twandawg85 View Post
    I am in the beginning stages of putting together a camping mens retreat. One of the options I would like to offer is a full hammock sleep gear setup...
    More questions, no answers.

Are these hammock systems going to be setup and ready to use in a fixed camp?

Are the campers with no hammocking experience going to set them up (I foresee lots of cold butt syndrome)? How much studying and practice setups did we all have to do before we had our first warm and comfortable nights sleep in a hammock with cool temps?

Are the campers (again with no hammocking experience) going to backpack with these setups?

Quote Originally Posted by twandawg85 View Post
    I was planning on making whoopie sling suspensions for everything. I am sure there are reasons to use other suspension systems, but I just don't see much benefit.
    The benefit of other systems such as webbing and cinch buckles is one of familiarity for the campers with no hammocking experience and ease of explaining setup for you.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    More questions, no answers.

Are these hammock systems going to be setup and ready to use in a fixed camp?
    We will set up when we get there, but I expect to have some sort of training for set up.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Are the campers (again with no hammocking experience) going to backpack with these setups?
    I do expect to hike a little ways, but nothing major.

I also expect those who go for this setup to be fairly limited in camping experience in general (which is why they would need the set up)

As I said this is in the very beginning stages. Much of this is just in the "this is what we would like" stage. Some of it is not even that far yet.

It should be a weekend trip (setup Friday, tear down Sunday)

Thanks for the questions!

• + New Posts