Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Clark vertex or singles side by side?

Hey everyone, the wife and I have been doing a lot of research into hammocks and want to become hangers We are seriously considering purchasing the Clark Vertex 2 person hammock, my wife is thrilled that it looks so comfy/roomy and she won't have to hang by herself (she's had bad tent experiences with bears, and isn't so thrilled not sharing the same space as me).

The vertex is a bit more expensive, which is fine if we end up loving it... but it is also on the heavier side and we want to go backpacking/hiking. Would it be better weight/cost/comfort wise to get singles and try and hang side by side? Is it difficult to hang two singles side by side? Let me know your thoughts and experiences please! And, also if anyone has a partner that was freaked out of sleeping in a hammock (because you aren't in the same space)? Did they overcome it and how long did it take?

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    The Vertex is big and bulky for backpacking, but you can split it up (tarp and poles) (hammock). That may work okay. I used to own a Vertex and my husband loved sleeping in the same hammock with me, and it is much more private. Due to his bad knees, I had to sell it. It is a great hammock, but I myself would not like to backpack with it, but that is just me.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Yukon Mosquito
    Tarp
    2mil dropcloth
    Suspension
    whoopieeeeee
    Granted I am new at this, but wouldn't it be possible to make a DIY side by side setup to at least try it out?

I'm thinking you could suspend two hammocks from a spreader bar although it would be quite tippy unless you had 3 or 4 trees to go to. I would think the whole setup would run you $50-60 bucks.

I'm sure someone here has tried a DIY vertex.

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Here is a picture posted from one of the members, I have not tried it out myself yet but it looks good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would prefer two. Either way you go you have to have 3 trees properly spaced apart. On the shared tree you could set up you tree straps where the tie off points are on either side of the tree so the foot end of your hammocks won't be right against each other. Then you could share a large tarp. With separate hammocks you can each carry your own weight also. Just my 2c
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My wife and I use two hammocks, one tarp, and only two trees. We accomplish this by using spreader bars between our suspension lines on each end of the hammocks. She loves it and it is nice to be able to spread the load out between backpacks. Plus if she doesn't want to go, I don't have to carry anything I don't need.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doc17th View Post
    Here is a picture posted from one of the members, I have not tried it out myself yet but it looks good.
    The first pic is mine. While it appears that the hammocks (WBBB & BMBH) are side by side they are actually hung in a tight triangle of trees. My son and I were about two feet apart sharing a large tarp (JRB 11x12). Very doable if you find the right trees. I would not want to try this setup in stormy weather.

S

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Togetherness is lovely. Sleeping with someone half on top of you is not so lovely. I think the vast majority of people with experience would agree--A nap and a snuggle is nice. A night of being squished together not so nice, makes for being tired and cranky in the morning. Add a hike on to that and you may end your Hang sooner than expected.

However, do not listen to me give it a try in your back yard or the local park, see what you two feel, after a night together all 8 hours or more.

It is always best to TEST NEW GEAR BEFORE YOU GO. I hope you two are the rare exception to too much togetherness.

If you want/need the close proximity to reach out and touch, then you likely will not be satisfied with two separate hammocks. By virtue of needing this closeness you accept less than optimum hiking conditions, i.e. weight. This said, the vertex, while not light weight, is packable by two people. Shared loads, you carry some of hers, she carries some of yours. You might not want to tackle a 200 miler but weekend hikes should work out fine. I have never used a vertex, but I have set one up and laid inside with someone in the other bed, and there is super room inside for two, and getting in or out doesn't disturb the other person very much. The best thing would be to try one out, if only for a couple hours, so if you have a friend with one try to borrow it, or perhaps make a friend with an owner.

Thanks everyone! I think we are going to go with the side by side hang. Now to decide which hammocks to get! I'm leaning towards the Blackbird XLC and the wife is wanting to get one of the dream hammocks.. probably the Dangerbird or Blackbird :-) After we figure out this whole hammock thing we will probably get UGQ top-quilts and under-quilts because those things look awesome! Whew... so many decisions for hammock shopping!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast