Clark NX250
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 15
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Decision: NX 200 or NX 250

Right now, the main thing holding me up on a Clark Hammock is the 200 v 250 question. Based on the pictures, it appears the 200 has more headroom when sitting up, but the 250 has more "elbow room" when lying down. Presumably, I will spent more time in the recumbent position so the 250 may make more sense.

The 200's rain fly is attached and I don't understand the benefit of this. Clark seems to think it is convenient, but in the rain I think it would be more convenient to set up a fly first, and then the hammock. Packing up in the rain would probably go easier also if the fly were the last item taken down.

On the other hand, the 200's fly with its additional lines looks like it may add to the stability of the hammock. However, the 250 seems to be roughly the shape of a Blackbird, which does not have a 200-fly setup. Blackbirds sound like they are stable enough.

Clark says they will continue to make the NA/200 hammocks which have "stood the test of time," but I am wondering if the 250-type may turn out to be the NA's sucessor.

Not having withstood the test of time, the 250 is more of a gamble but since I have never been in any hammock before I will be gambling anyway. Even so, it is tough to decide between these two.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    make sure you read the report just posted on the clark NA and clark NX. Laying in a clark, the hammock is really close to you, like a second skin. I personally like having the hammock close like that, when I'm on my side, it's kind of supporting my backside from rolling. If you're wanting a "roomier" feel then go for the 250 model. (note here that I haven't tried that "roomier" clark, just going by what others have said)
    About the tarp: as soon as I figured out how to set up the clark in it's original state (like you first receive it w/tarp attached) after setting up a few times, I removed the tarp and put it into it's own silnylon stuff sack. Get used to how it comes to you first, then experiment with different ways of putting it up and packing it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I think TinaLouise is dead-on about the tarps. They detach from the hammock pretty easily, so they can be carried separate from the hammock without much effort. I've not tried the 250 so I can't say for sure, but in none of the 3 Clarks I did try did I see any reason the tarp would affect the stability of the hammock. The connections are not structural.

How big/small are you? Based on my experiences, my knee-jerk instinct is to say go with the 250. The width of the Clarks was really the only thing I didn't like about them. Yea I wasn't tickled with the tarps, but I never really gave them a chance either. No reason they wouldn't function great once better understood. Since the width is my only problem with them, my recommendation is for the 250. Unless you need to do some naked Yoga poses, then maybe you want the headroom. Just keep the weathershield closed, nobody want to see that!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 15
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I'm 6' 3" and 200 lbs, so it sounds like either the NX 200 or NX 250 would be about right. The only other problem with the NX 250 is that if any of those poles get lost or broken, it probably won't go up like the picture in the brochure. I suppose nothing would prevent me from being "careful" with the poles though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff355 View Post
    I'm 6' 3" and 200 lbs, so it sounds like either the NX 200 or NX 250 would be about right. The only other problem with the NX 250 is that if any of those poles get lost or broken, it probably won't go up like the picture in the brochure. I suppose nothing would prevent me from being "careful" with the poles though.
    Poles just don't seem right for hammocks. I'll forever be bothered by them on a hammock. In a pinch, I bet some well placed twigs and some extra Mason line could hold the dome up no problems. Probably be the first thing I did if I got a 250; figure out a way to leave the poles at home.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    I doubt they are going to replace the NA or 200 with the 250 but I may be off on that. It seems like it would be getting on the heavy side of things. The rainfly on the 200 is quite easy to remove. It's good to keep it attached at first to get a good feel for how it is supposed to attach but after that its not hard at all to keep them separate.

The 250 looks like a neat deal and if weight is not an issue then it might be a nice choice. It's getting awfully close to 4lbs on it's own though. I would have liked to see aluminum poles instead of fiberglass to hold up the bugnet to reduce weight.

If your needs are lightweight long distance backpacking then I'd think the 250 is quite heavy for that. If you are not concerned by that aspect then the wider, more open bed would be quite appealing to me.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Like Photomankc I don't foresee any thing leaving the line of the Clarks. I have spent allot of time talking with them and they don't lead me to believe there doing away with any of them. Like others have said if you want real room go with the 250 if you like room to roll around or put your arms behind you head then the 200 will do that but know this going into it even though there is room and you can spread out a bunch in it the hammock material will always be close to you in the 200. Tina pointed out something that I have never really thought about and that is that having the hammock close to you does give some support. I like the closeness of the hammock call me crazy but it gives me an extra feel of security kinda like cuddling up with a thick comforter.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 15
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    These comments have all been much appreciated. If the 250 and 200 are equally stable, my inclination is to go with the 250. Weight is less of an issue for me than the size of the bag the hammock will pack into, and I have a good place to stow a stuffed 250.

The benefit of having hammock material "close" is a good point and there is no question that the pole setup makes a 250 look more like a suspended tent. It is hard to say without trying one out, but from the pictures it looks like the 250 might be usable without any poles at all, similar though not identical to a 200 (with a few extra lines, bungees, etc.). If so, there may be options as to how close it is.

Anyway, thanks for all the info. I wil get cracking on this transaction.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff355 View Post
    These comments have all been much appreciated. If the 250 and 200 are equally stable, my inclination is to go with the 250. Weight is less of an issue for me than the size of the bag the hammock will pack into, and I have a good place to stow a stuffed 250.

The benefit of having hammock material "close" is a good point and there is no question that the pole setup makes a 250 look more like a suspended tent. It is hard to say without trying one out, but from the pictures it looks like the 250 might be usable without any poles at all, similar though not identical to a 200 (with a few extra lines, bungees, etc.). If so, there may be options as to how close it is.

Anyway, thanks for all the info. I wil get cracking on this transaction.
    you might want to call them or ask that question again on this forum I am sure you can use the 250 with out the pole there is no doubt about that but the canopy will be laying down on your face if you don't do something with it.

This is all a guess with me but it sure looks that way before you order it call and talk to Spencer.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    You got to remember that the weight on the clarks includes a rain fly...so the 250 is close to 3 lbs or 48 oz with no tarp and suspension included that is about the weight of my 1.7 DL warbonnet with suspension the poles only weight 3 oz.... changing them to aluminum would maybe shave an ounce? save more weight if you took the pockets off the bottom of the hammock and made the weather shield removable. Then it would possibly be lighter than the warbonnet for the same weight rating.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast