Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    And just exactly what does a riverpirate look like?
    Interesting question. I think if you take the pictures of our most-admired members, Sparrow and Hetairoi, and place them beside a mirror, and peer into the mirror, that you would get at least a 2 out of 3 hint of what a river pirate looks like. But, actually, I'll bet you'd bat 1000 and get 3 out of 3. Seedy looking bunch, don'cha think?
    Last edited by DougTheElder; 06-02-2009 at 20:34. Reason: Couldn't spell Hetairoi on 1st try.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DougTheElder View Post
    Seedy looking bunch, don'cha think?
    I agree. I wouldn't trust either one of those characters further than I could kick them...

Oh wait...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I agree. I wouldn't trust either one of those characters further than I could kick them...

Oh wait...
    Yeah, You've got to be careful about what you might get on your boot!!!!
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I would not take a SOT on Lake Superior if you planned to leave the shoreline at all, and maybe not even then. You could get dumped quickly with a SOT. Sea Kayaks are much better options for Lake Superior kayak trips.

Every boat has its purpose, and I like SOT's and am not slamming them in any way. IMO, it would be downright dangerous on Lake Superior. And I grew up on that lake, and have seen my share of danger on it.

Nice pics, I'm jealous!
    agree fully, you do not want a SOT in lake superior!!!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

It’s looking a wonderful trip. Your photos are telling the whole adventure of that trip. I must say you had a great fun over there. I would love to go on a trip like this where I can enjoy truly.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I enjoyed this oldie, which I hadn't seen. Motivated now to do some of the Arkansas River.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Wow...I hadn't thought about this thread in a while! We posted this one back in '09. I haven't posted a lot of trip reports in the past couple of years, but Hetairoi and I have still been out hiking and paddling at every chance.

We re-paddled the 50 miles from Tallassee to Fort Toulouse in 2010 when we completed a complete paddling descent of the Tallapoosa River (~260 miles, and quite an adventure) We also paddled the 20 miles from Fort Toulouse to Montgomery again last fall as part of our 660 mile paddling descent of the Alabama Scenic River Trail. That was a goal that we'd been working up to, and are proud to have completed!

We have a few more adventures lined up for later this year, so I'll try to post some reports from those too.

Glad you guys enjoyed the report. I encourage everyone to 'get out there' as often as you can.

(I'd enjoy paddling with you sometime OG)
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Wow - those photos bring back memories. My mother owned a plot of land on the Alabama River (at Jones Bluff Lock and Dam, I think).

The river with the brown water is the Alabama, right? That's how I remember the water looking. And what river has the clear water?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The river with the brown water is the Alabama, right? That's how I remember the water looking. And what river has the clear water?
    In the photos, the muddy water is the Tallapoosa River. It is mostly turbid because the last dam on the river is an overflow dam, and that stirs up a lot of sediment in its turbulence. Above that dam, the water is very clear.

The Tallapoosa River flows into the Coosa River, and together they form the Alabama River. The Coosa River is the larger of the two, and since the dams upstream on the Coosa are bottom-drawn, the water remains clear.

So: Tallapoosa (muddy) + Coosa (clear) = Alabama River (mostly clear)

The Jones Bluff Dam (RF Henry Dam) is about 40 miles further down river than the last of these photos.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234