Diy tree straps from recycled seat belts and other possible projects this week.

Ok so I had a thought. Then today I followed up that thought with an action. I went out to the 05 vw passat and cut out all the seat belts to make tree straps out of. I ended up with 4 sections about 7.5 to 8 feet long. I also have a texsport jungle hammock that my wife bought me for anniversary so of course I love it but I am not sure about it. I will start by re-rigging it with zing-it, lash-it, and 7/64 amsteel, and see how it hangs and lays after that. I also must make a little bag for the coleman mini single mantel lantern but I may wait till next week on that.

oh so pic of the belts in their as is condition after washing.

Hammock
    Yukon Mosquito
    Tarp
    2mil dropcloth
    Suspension
    whoopieeeeee
    ...you cut out the seatbelts of your car? For $10 worth of material?

I must be missing something here.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webb & buckl.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by antichip View Post
    Ok so I had a thought. Then today I followed up that thought with an action. I went out to the 05 vw passat and cut out all the seat belts to make tree straps out of. ]

I find your lack of impulse control disturbing, but you get an A+ for initiative
    If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

I am learning from my mistakes, so I can make better and bigger mistakes.

Ok well yes I do have slight impulse control. HMMMM it seems like someone has been speaking with my wife, lol. Well not that much of an issue I waited till the morning to go cut them and not when I thought of it while laying down last night.

And for those concerned about the safety, it has airbags.

Ok ok enough clowning. It is a parts car for my 04 Passat. I got 2 made earlier and I need to do 2 more for sons set-up. So far I think they will be happy straps.

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I just go to a local outdoor store or mountain high outfitters...etc to buy some webbing. I usually get 4-5 ft and then add an overhand knot on a bight to create the loop at the end. If you add one on each end of the webbing you can loop it around the tree, though one end of the webbing then just attach via carabiner to your hammock.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybakedhammock View Post
    I just go to a local outdoor store or mountain high outfitters...etc to buy some webbing. I usually get 4-5 ft and then add an overhand knot on a bight to create the loop at the end. If you add one on each end of the webbing you can loop it around the tree, though one end of the webbing then just attach via carabiner to your hammock.
    If you are buying climbing webbing it is nylon and stretchy. Most of us use polyester or polypropylene for less stretch.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

OK, well I got the 4 straps made up yesterday, all 4 total out to 19.7 ounces. I will need a total of 10 soft shackles, 10 short whoopie type slings, maybe 12, these are all short guys going from the hammock to the tree straps. All these bits are being done from lash-it and zing it.
    It seems the lash-it is a bit looser. I don't know if this is typical, but the yellow zing-it seems much more stiff and unforgiving.
    I must also make some shorter whoopies and soft shackles from the 7/64 amsteel to tie all this conglomeration of cluster flock together. And considering I want to be camping within a few hours I should get off the computer and get too it.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Say to your wife, "You know the hooks on your bra would make great connection devices for my bugnet"
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Say to your wife, "You know the hooks on your bra would make great connection devices for my bugnet"
    LOL! I was actually staring at a pack of those last week, trying to figure out how the heck I could incorporate them into my diy bug net. Didn't buy them in the end.. wouldn't have used them either, since the pack hooks I got from Scott have ladder locks that hold the 1/2" elastic quite well.

• + New Posts