Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Still figuring it
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images

First sleep (in a hammock) observations

Recently, I made my first hammock (not just first DIY -- first one of any sort). My three younger children (ages 12, 10, & 8) decided they also wanted hammocks and have made their own (with a little guidance, but they did the work). We hoped to camp out on our property sometime during this last week. We picked out a night when it was forecast to not rain, but the forecast changed. So, we changed our location to inside the house we're building (a debt free timber frame straw bale house -- but that's another topic). That way if it rained (and it did) we would stay dry -- we don't have tarps yet.

So, we hung our hammocks inside the house and got things ready for our first night ever of hammock sleeping. After all of the great things I've read on HF and elsewhere online, we were excited to experience what we expected to be one of the best nights of sleep any of us has ever had. Knowing that it would be a little cool in the house (mid-50°s), we planned for some insulation. We each had a sleeping bag, and the children also added wool blankets or an afghan for extra insulation underneath. I attached my just finished $4 underquilt (made from half of a polyester comforter I bought for $1.00 at a consignment shop and some shock cord and clips from elsewhere -- the second one from the other half has yet to be completed).

There was no problem with any of us staying warm overnight. The temp only got down to 54° inside (we started at 58°). But, it was not the best night of sleep any of us had ever had. Only the youngest (she's 8) was completely comfortable. There does seem to be a learning curve. Maybe we were too excited. Each of us had some difficulty getting things adjusted and getting in to the right position. I think I had the UQ too tight and it was squeezing me out of position (at least psychologically). I felt a lot of heel pressure, too. Although it didn't meet my initial expectations, it was better than sleeping on the ground. Later the next day, I discovered I had my head too low. Also that day, I experimented with laying in the hammock with and without the UQ, and I adjusted the UQ and raised the head end of my hammock. I felt better about how the next nights sleep would go. While trying things out, I almost fell asleep.

So, last night, two nights after our first foray into hammock sleeping, my 12 year old and 8 year old (the 10 year old opted for his bed) tried it again. Again, it rained, but we were safe and dry inside the house. The temperature was again in the mid-50°s. We were all warm, and the sleep was much better. I was much more comfortable in my lay and had the UQ better adjusted. I did discover that it is more efficient insulation-wise when it's tight against the bottom of the hammock (I had it too loose for a while). I didn't experience the same heel pressure. My only complaints were a stiff neck (until I used my jacket for a pillow) and some lower back muscles that were somewhat uncomfortable (I think because of the difference in how I lay in the hammock as compared to a bed which used/involved different muscles -- and the "soreness" didn't last long). I slept well and am even more encouraged.

I know how much photos are appreciated, so here are a couple:

The 8 year old's hammock (made with a $3 piece of fabric from a consignment shop), my hammock, and my 10 year old's hammock. You can see my red $4 underquilt.

My older son getting things ready with hammock suspended from the timber frame.

The house is still under construction, and the color of the walls is due to the clay plaster which hasn't received its final coat of plaster and hasn't been pained with the natural, home-made paint all the walls will have (hopefully this summer so we can move in by fall).

Hammock
    DIY 11-1/2' Argon w/knotty
    Tarp
    WB SuperFLY
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ+ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Awesome...looks like you guys are on the right path.

The house looks cool so far too!!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Welcome to HF.

It's always good to start with "backyard" testing...and you have a very nice backyard in the photos.

Looks like you're figuring you setup out very quickly. Congrats. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if a few more shots the house construction got slipped in.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mighty fine and Whooooo Buncha Buddies))))))))
    Cool home project as well.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Too many think that they can jump right in for the wonder sleep. It usually does take some fiddling and tinkering. Glad to hear that the second night had the learn curve show good progress. Hanging with the family is a great time.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Dutch Argon/HH Exp. Zip
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Love what your doing and that the young-ins are joining in. Outstanding.

Hammock
    sld treerunner dl
    Tarp
    toxaway
    Insulation
    hg incubator uq
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    I agree with your observations. slept outside last night - my 3rd overnighter. Going back out tonight. last night was much, much better (set up using some tips from my recently acquired Ultimate Hang book) than nights 1 and 2. even so, I have to admit I sleep better on the ground using my exped mat. Going to give it some more time. But, at the end of the day, it's all about getting a good night's sleep while out on the trail for me. I am planning a long section hike for later this spring. I will not take a hammock unless it will "outperform" my tent and pad system.

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Very cool! I wish I'd known about hammock camping when my kids were younger. It's hard to get them out of our toy hauler now...them and their momma.

I too would like to see the progress on the house. Very intriguing.
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

This is cool. What a fun thing for you and your kids

Speaking of comfort, I've been playing around with DIY hammocks. I think size (length) and correct suspension set up (30 degrees) has a lot to do with how comfortable you get in the hammock. I made two 9'2 ft DIY hammocks for myself and my better half. I'm 5'8 and she's barely 5', but she seems very comfortable. I've had leg discomfort despite trying many configurations. I'm making a longer hammock (11-12ft) and hopefully this will reduce pressure on my calves and knees.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Neat. Just looking I wonder about tightening up a bit on the hammock to get a flatter lay. Just a thought.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast