Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I have the big tarp which I string completely separate. Once its up and pitched you can do most everything from safely underneath, and your hammock stays dry. I've never had to pitch it in the rain but I HAVE broken down in a downpour. Use a second bag for the fly only, so you don't put your dry hammock in the bag with your wet fly...
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Planning to hike AT - New Hampshire and Vermont this July/August. Got the HH Ultralight bottom entry for Christmas. Added the Super Shelter. Haven't been out much with it yet. What I need from others is the wisdom of experience.
    My question -- hanging in the HH with SS in the rain, does the undercover usually get wet or rarely get wet.
    Here's why I want to know. When taking down the set up when everything is dry - I can just wrap everything in the rainfly (hammock, top quilt, underpad, and undercover) and stuff it in a bag or in backpack.
    But when taking down after a rain - I don't want to pack wet things with dry things.
    1) Will my undercover usually be wet, thus requiring I separate the undercover, underpad and space blanket from the hammock?
    2) Will the hammock itself usually be wet enough that I shouldn't leave my top quilt in the hammock after a rain?
    3) Will the rainfly be the only thing wet enough times after a rain, that it's worth getting one of those large snake skins that can contain all but fly (hammock, top quilt, super shelter)?

Hammock
    Dutch Argon/HH Exp. Zip
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I believe there is a lot said for the HH stock setup. Some can say that it is at the expense of weight but the system is well thought out.
    However, we all like to play and experiment. I have been thinking of moving to a larger tarp on a continuous ridge line and adding snake skins for the trap. The hammock can be packed dry in the pack while the tarp can be tied to the outside in the skins after becoming wet. Won't know until I try it after a rain. Who Knows?
    Live, Learn, and Weigh; considering Comfort, Ease and weight. Enjoy, Enjoy - Did I say enjoy.

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet / BMBH / WBBB 1.1SL
    Tarp
    Sargasso/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    HudsonRvr/Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by danthornton View Post
    Planning to hike AT - New Hampshire and Vermont this July/August. Got the HH Ultralight bottom entry for Christmas. Added the Super Shelter. Haven't been out much with it yet. What I need from others is the wisdom of experience.
    My question -- hanging in the HH with SS in the rain, does the undercover usually get wet or rarely get wet.
    Here's why I want to know. When taking down the set up when everything is dry - I can just wrap everything in the rainfly (hammock, top quilt, underpad, and undercover) and stuff it in a bag or in backpack.
    But when taking down after a rain - I don't want to pack wet things with dry things.
    1) Will my undercover usually be wet, thus requiring I separate the undercover, underpad and space blanket from the hammock?
    2) Will the hammock itself usually be wet enough that I shouldn't leave my top quilt in the hammock after a rain?
    3) Will the rainfly be the only thing wet enough times after a rain, that it's worth getting one of those large snake skins that can contain all but fly (hammock, top quilt, super shelter)?
    I've used those Sea to Summit small towels, you know the ones in micro fibre or chamois to dry off tarps and tents....havent used it on my undercover yet, but that would be easy enough. For the 5 minutes effort it improves your pack ups.

I'm keeping my UL Explorer with Super Shelter and top quilt in a 40 ltr. dry bag. It's so easy to stuff it all in the large bag, and it squashes down to around 10 ltr. and fits at the top of my pack. I have a small sack for the tarp. Tom Hennessy just stuffs his straight in the top of his pack, but I like to be able to easily get access to things on the track.
    When I get home, I let the bag expand out to its full 40 ltr. and thats how its stored. (edit) Top quilt is stored separate.
    I don't get too excited about snakeskins. I only have them on one tarp, but find it more cumbersome than alternatives. I think a snakeskin that holds your full setup would be too cumbersome an item.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12