Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Does this require a special GPS phone, or just something like a Razor?
    It can be done with any cell phone by using triangulation, but this is not normally available to just anyone. My understanding is most local police are able to work with cell companies to have this done though:

from ehow.com

"Cell phone triangulation collects data and traces the approximate location of the cell phone in question. Because cell phone triangulation requires tracking the strength of the signal from cell phone towers receiving a signal, normal citizens will be unable to perform this function without paying a company for their technology. Once the information is gathered the coordinates will pinpoint you to the position within 25-100 meters of said cell phone. Read on to learn more about how to triangulate a cell phone."

Has been used with success to find hikers lost in remote areas:

"Denali National Park (Alaska) - Two hikers who got lost in the Alaskan wilderness are now safe thanks to some crafty cell phone triangulation. 25-year-old Abby Flantz and 23-year-old Erica Nelson had gone out on what was supposed to be a one night hike. A search was called after the pair didn’t come back the next day..."
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetairoi View Post
    It can be done with any cell phone by using triangulation, but this is not normally available to just anyone. My understanding is most local police are able to work with cell companies to have this done though:

from ehow.com

"Cell phone triangulation collects data and traces the approximate location of the cell phone in question. Because cell phone triangulation requires tracking the strength of the signal from cell phone towers receiving a signal, normal citizens will be unable to perform this function without paying a company for their technology. Once the information is gathered the coordinates will pinpoint you to the position within 25-100 meters of said cell phone. Read on to learn more about how to triangulate a cell phone."

Has been used with success to find hikers lost in remote areas:

"Denali National Park (Alaska) - Two hikers who got lost in the Alaskan wilderness are now safe thanks to some crafty cell phone triangulation. 25-year-old Abby Flantz and 23-year-old Erica Nelson had gone out on what was supposed to be a one night hike. A search was called after the pair didn’t come back the next day..."
    I know nothing, but I'm assuming that the cell phone would need a signal?
    I guess "remote" depends on where the hiker is...
    I have no cell coverage inside/outside my office building, so if I'm lost no one could use triangulation to find me
    But Denali National Park, oh yea, coverage is there!
    CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?? no...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dubs View Post
    Really, though, when you go with someone else you accept responsibility for them and often have to make too many compromises.
    TWS
    This is one of the things I don't enjoy as much about Hiking with others. I really don't know the skill and knowledge level of some of the people that go with me, so I always feel like I need to be responsible for them, even my regular hiking partner. It takes some of the fun out of it, although I don't mind teaching them what little I know.

The good thing about my regular hiking partner is that, if there is a snake within 100 yards of us, he will spot it. He's very afraid of snakes. (Sorry, Snakeman, if you are lurking and read this.)
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBristol View Post
    As a semi-introvert I enjoy the solitude, yes it can get lonely, especially as night draws in but the moment I climb inside that comfy Hammock with the sounds of nature all around me all that is forgotten. Well rested, I am then ready to face another day.
    Ditto...Same for me.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    None
    Billybob there are a few locator applications I thought I knew of a free one. Quick Google Search http://products.vzw.com/index.aspx?id=fnd_chaperone

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    None
    I was in scouts then got out just got back in to scouting. So group solo group. Going solo this weekend.

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    ENO fast fly
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie-slings
    it depends for me. I like the company and the safety factor of taking a buddy or two, but if there are more than 3 of us, it gets annoying waiting for everyone. But every once in a while, I enjoy the solo trips and the alone time in the woods. Nothing like sitting alone in the woods reflecting on life and figuring out what I am doing with said life.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.
    i said with a buddy or 2 in the poll but I like solo also .... after a couple days it gets lonely though. I get the willies too sometimes.... I like to take my collie, sometimes it's kind of limiting. really like to hike with a female (platonic) .... the all guy thing gets too testosteroned up.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I usually hike solo by choice. However, when my 12 year old son is not in school, I go with him. Theres somthing about going solo, it kindof gets on your blood. I find it to be very relaxing and peaceful! After a long hard stressful week, I kind of crave a solo trip! Heres another question for the poll, are you an extravert or an introvert? I think it would be pretty interesting to see how that lines up with your hiking preference, (solo, or not)

I couldn't pick between the "always" and "never" choices. While I usually go with a buddy -- but some of my 5-7 day trips and most of my winter trips are solo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast