Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

RRG trail maint. in March:

"Hey Trail Crew,

The March Outing is upon us in just a couple weeks. I hope everybody is itching to get out into woods; these recent warm days are giving me cabin fever. The March project will be clearing the trails along Auxier Ridge. These ridgeline trails have taken a beating with hard-freezes and heaving ground, then came the ice storm followed by soggy ground and high winds. You can bet we will find some trees and branches across the trails.

We will be meeting at Grey’s Arch parking lot on Tunnel Ridge. We will split into maybe four groups to cover the most ground. Our Chainsaw operators will be the team Leaders for their groups. We will support them but also have handsaws and pruners for the smaller stuff.

So, we meet at Grey’s Arch Picnic area 9:30 Saturday, March 8th. We will brief then head to the trailheads in for a day in the woods. As usual, later that afternoon we will gather at our Volunteers only campground for the dandiest potluck dinner, and best fireside conversation in the Red River Gorge. Camping is free Saturday night for RRGTC Volunteers. Also, if you haven’t got your RRGTC T-shirt yet, we still have a few.

To get to Grey’s Arch Picnic Area; take exit 33 from the Mountain Parkway and turn left under the overpass. Turn right on KY 15 south, about 3 1/2 miles then turn left on Tunnel Ridge Road, about a mile on the gravel and there you are. If you need more information feel free to drop a note or give me a call.

More information can be obtained at www.rrgtc.com or by calling the Gladie center at 606-663-8100

All Red River Gorge Trail Crew service outings are official US Forest Service approved projects. All Red River Gorge Trail Crew participants sign on as official US Forest Service Volunteers. For more information contact the US Forest Service Office, 705 College Ave, Stanton, KY 40380 Phone 606-663-0576 e106

See ya in the woods, Charlie R.

Charlie Rowe

Daniel Boone National Forest

3451 Skybridge Road

Stanton, KY 40380

(606) 663-0576 e106"
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Do you guys only maintain the official trails, or do you maintain any of the unmarked trails as well?

I've fallen in love with the gorge, and would love to give back, and help keep it in great shape. Every trip I make I always end up packing out a bag full of other peoples garbage...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Do you guys only maintain the official trails, or do you maintain any of the unmarked trails as well?

I've fallen in love with the gorge, and would love to give back, and help keep it in great shape. Every trip I make I always end up packing out a bag full of other peoples garbage...
    Sorry, that message is a,,, forward from Charlie, the lead maintainer at RRG. The first few times I posted them I said so, this time I got lazy.

I think I can answer your questions though: The trail crew is for the official trails ONLY. By my count it's under 40 miles of trails, but quite a bit on fairly rugged terrain, so I'm thinking they are a bit stretched.
    I know Charlie & crew would be happy to have you. To attend you need the following gear: "Volunteers should wear sturdy boots, in addition to bringing gloves and water. Long pants are also recommended." The trail crews I have met all were wearing hard hats & had safety glasses & a few had reflective safety vests.
    There is more (& definitive) information on their web site http://www.rrgtc.com/.
    If interested in going PLEASE DO! Outings take place on the second Saturday of every month. The pre work detail safety meeting is MANDATORY. Know that you will be put to WORK! Plus, before & after working you will have to hike in & out!
    I think I'll be there, still need to verify my work schedule though.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts