Tarp
    ID Siltarp2
    Insulation
    Down sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Issue EasyHammock

Blizzard blanket as a UQ.

Hi guys.
    Anyone tried or know the results of using this item as an underquilt?

http://www.amazon.com/Blizzard-Emerg.../dp/B0082PMDY6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIyjBd15KwY

It's more than mylar space blanket as it got 3d cells giving it some "loft".

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Somebody used one (or more) as a hammock cover/sock...but you'll have to some digging to find it. Nah, I found it.
    Here's one thread

Condensation could be an issue. Repacking the blanket after initial deployment will be tricky. It never repacks as well as factory vacuum packing.
    Sealing off the ends could lead to CO2 build up? Durability? Weight/bulk/cost vs a regular uq/tq is minimal.

It is a "survival" item, which means it wasn't intended for long term/repeated use. Crinkly, noisy.
    YMMV.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    EasyHammock Hiker XL green
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp2
    Insulation
    Down sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Issue EasyHammock
    Thank you very much for that link. So it can work in certain conditions. Also I was thinking a blanket as a under quilt and not the tube.
    My target temps would be 40-30 combined with 20 degrees down top quilt. Im very tempted but the problem is it's about 50$ in UK so I need more data.

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattBigmonster View Post
    Thank you very much for that link. So it can work in certain conditions. Also I was thinking a blanket as a under quilt and not the tube.
    My target temps would be 40-30 combined with 20 degrees down top quilt. Im very tempted but the problem is it's about 50$ in UK so I need more data.
    For $50 I would get a pad like the Zlite Sol or maybe something less bulky if that is important. It is about 14 oz and will be more durable and less noisy than the space blanket /survival bag.

Also I don't where you are in the UK, but most of the places I have been in the East and SE GB are similar to the eastern part of the United States and condensation would be a problem.

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    JUst for kicks I slept in my "hiking clothes" in a Blizzard blanket at about 10 F windchill. I used a USGI patrol bag basically to keep the Blizzard bag where I wanted it. Because there was a 15 MPH wind I did not experience moisture problems. BUT... I was wearing my stephenson's hooded jacket and I may have adjusted temp by venting in my sleep and just do not recall. Blizzard blanket is a winner as an emergency product but is very noisey.

Regards
    Paul

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    I have tried a mylar space blanket as a tube and it helps for sure but it is snug and loud. Mylar is very fragile and rips easily. I don't think it will be a useful long term solution but, I do keep on in my pack as one of my very few just in case items. This item would be interesting to try too. I like the adhesive side to form it up into a tube and "baffles" are interesting too. It appears to made of a similar material as the space blankets so I would not expect any great improvement in durability. At 15 ounces though there must be something to it as a normal space blanket alone is just a couple of ounces. Weight and cost wise though you are half way to a real under quilt (minus the international shipping). When I first started hanging I tried all kinds of pads, poncho liners, shock cord, cord locks, and blankets in an effort to save money. After spending all that money working on a cheap solution I could have easily bought a decent UQ. So I finally broken down and got a jarbidge UQ that would cover what you are looking for.

jarbidge UQ= $100
    hillbilly rigging supplies= $130 (easy)

Just a thought if the goal is trying to save some money. If the goal is experimentation with a new product..please let us know your results too!
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

• + New Posts