Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Michigan Underquilt Question...

Hi guys,
    First real post so bear with me. I was going to do my first hang this weekend without a underquilt, but lonehiker talked me into just using my tent (I brought both). He didn't want me to have my first hang be a bad experience.

So, I'm now saving for a underquilt for use in Michigan area. Fall and spring mostly. Might have some sub-zero hangs. What should I be looking for? Synthetic or Down? Does it matter?

I have a Blackbird 1.7 Double. I'm 6'1".

Let me know if you need any other information
    “All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream.” ― T.K. Whipple

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I prefer down, and if most your hiking is spring and fall prolly a 20° quilt will do it. I have a Zeppelin 20° quilt with overstuff that I use year 'round but supplement it in the winter with a second quilt. Check out Underground Quilts, they're Michigan company and Paul and Missy will not steer you wrong..
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Quote Originally Posted by Chet Punisher View Post
    Hi guys,
    First real post so bear with me. I was going to do my first hang this weekend without a underquilt, but lonehiker talked me into just using my tent (I brought both). He didn't want me to have my first hang be a bad experience.

So, I'm now saving for a underquilt for use in Michigan area. Fall and spring mostly. Might have some sub-zero hangs. What should I be looking for? Synthetic or Down? Does it matter?

I have a Blackbird 1.7 Double. I'm 6'1".

Let me know if you need any other information
    Chet , like you Im kind of new to hammocking . Im kind of a cold sleeper so I went complete overkill on my homemade UQ . I took a down and feather M1949 sleeping bag , cut off the foot box and slung it from a heavy duty suspension . I also overstuffed the heck out of it after I cut it open .
    The end result is a monstrous cocoon that wraps completely around me but weighs almost 15 or 20 pounds . This is OK on a packed trail with a pulk but not OK if your breaking trail with snowshoes .
    So now Im embarking on a homemade synthetic monster that will weight about 5 pounds I hope . Always useing a sled in winter so 5 pounds not bad .
    If I could afford it I'd buy that big overstuffed zeppalin for about 300 bucks . Well maybe I wouldn't cause half the fun for me is making the gear .
    Lonetrackers insulated hammock is my inspiration although mine will be a lot differant .
    I went out in the winter 2009 with a buddy and we were totally unprepared . He ended up hypothermic and I thought wed be in real trouble , so since then I practice extreme overkill in winter .

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThundeBird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I was in the same boat a few weeks ago and came across Paul and Missy's site www.undergroundquilts.com. They are Michiganders themselves and know our confused climate real well. I came at them with the same question and they suggested a 20* quilt for the time frame that you are looking at. They have a choice between duck or goose down and they have great information on the difference of the two. All in all you will find plenty of venders that offer great equipment, I just went with Paul and Missy because I heard nothing but great things and I wanted to support a local business. Good luck

Thanks guys, I will contact them.
    “All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream.” ― T.K. Whipple

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is some UQ Intel for you….may give a bit of insight on the subject.
    Carry forth,
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    I did neg 22 in the porkies this winter in a 0 deg jrb Mr wash 4. With an extra homemade underquilt. My diy is made from a military patrol bag. I bought for 18.bucks from army gear.net. good to 40 deg. For sure. Good luck. Michigan is a great place to hang. Hope to see ya out there!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThundeBird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    So ah when is the next BBQ lol. Ill bring the beer.

Hammock
    dream hammock
    Tarp
    Ugq
    Insulation
    Wilderness logics
    Suspension
    Dutch ware
    Images
    For the winter I go with my Hammock gear 0 degree and bring my Wilderness Logics 20 degree if it plans to go much below zero. I do like to use a foam sit pad for under my behind since thats the only spot that really gets cold.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast