Thread: New Hammock Sag

Hammock
    BIAS Camp XL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

New Hammock Sag

So I just tested out my new and first hammock. It is a BIAS 1.9 single layer hammock.

It worked great and was very comfurtable but I was very surprised at the amount of sag I jad in one night. I probably lost about 8 inches or more over the night. I didnt know if I set this up incorrectly or if it was just new gear break in.

Just a bit more info on the set up I was running. I used a marlin spike and webing with a whoopie sling and an adjustable ridge line. Not sure if there are some tips you all could give. Thanks for the help.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Sounds like either your whoopie slings slipped or your webbing stretched. Nylon webbing will stretch. Where did you get your webbing? Do you know what it is? Where did you get your whoopie slings? How many inches of adjustable bury do your whoopies have?

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle hammock
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    What angle did you have it hanging at?

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    What was it tied to? You can tweak a small tree with your weight and it doesn't take much movement to drop you 8". I've tied off to vine maples that were like springs. It's amazing how much force you can exert with a hammock. I tried 4x4 fence posts for a backyard setup and had to upgrade to 4x6's.

A little magic marker should tell if your whoopie slings are slipping. Tree strap stretch might be a factor to. Some brands are stretchy.

I used a similar BIAS hammock with no problems at ~210. I would expect some stretch when new, especially if you are a bigger guy.

Hammock
    BIAS Camp XL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Not sure on the angle but it may have been slightly under 30*

Also all the webbing and whoopies are also from BIAS. Im more thinking it might be my set up than the equipment but wasnt sure?

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    .....it doesn't take much movement to drop you 8". ............. I would expect some stretch when new

+1

New gear stretches. Fabric and webbing weave tightens up; knots tighten.
    Humidity can affect your setup sag also.

Hammock
    BIAS Camp XL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks everyone Im about 250 and I was tied off to a 4x4 and a large oak so Im not sure it would have gone down on the tree side but very well could have on the other. But it was some what windy as well and some noise from the hammock happened each time the wind blew. So that may have bern from a webbing slipping here and there.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, it wasn't the hammock and it probably wasn't the tree straps (unless the straps actually slid down the tree). So the only things left is that you didn't milk the whoopies after you adjusted, or that 4x4 is about to dump you on the ground. A lot of folks say a 4x4 is just not robust enough for hanging.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    BIAS Camp XL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The 4x4 is fine it is 6ft into cement bed and about 10ft tall lagged into my deck so that isnt goint any where. But yeah I did not milk the whoopie so this looks like inexperience on my part. Thanks everyone for the help. And also for all the advice!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    A 4x4 is fine if the top end is secured. Amazing how noodle like they can be when standing alone. When you think about it, the weight at the tree strap is the same as your weight, sob it's not much different than "walking the plank" on whatever you are hanging on. all of a sudden you want a bigger stick to hang from

• + New Posts