Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

integral bug net

To test the feasibility of sewing a bug net on the bottom of my zhammock, I got an idea. DOH! <G>

I climbed inside the doublle layers and pushed the top layer up, as if it was the bug net. It worked just fine. There is plenty of room.

So: I will need to sew tabs to the bug net to run a ridge line through when using the bug net mode. How it this done?

Do you sew a loop in some grossgrain and then sew the ends to the mesh? Do the big boys sew reinforcement on the inside?

My Byers Mosquito Traveler had these loops, but I can't for the life of me remember any details.

I plan on locating the loops at around neck and knee position. Does that sound right? Then I will sew the zipper to the bug net, the bug net to the zhammock on three sides and finally the fourth side and zipper to the remaining hammock long side.

TIA for any pertinent advice

Tom

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    So: I will need to sew tabs to the bug net to run a ridge line through when using the bug net mode. How it this done?

Do you sew a loop in some grossgrain and then sew the ends to the mesh? Do the big boys sew reinforcement on the inside?
    I would definitely put some reinforcement patches on the netting where the grosgrain will attach. I wouldn't trust the netting to hold a small stitch area like that. I guess you're planning to have the ridgeline on the outside of the netting? Putting the netting over the ridge wouldn't require tie-outs and might give you more room inside.

I plan on locating the loops at around neck and knee position. Does that sound right? Then I will sew the zipper to the bug net, the bug net to the zhammock on three sides and finally the fourth side and zipper to the remaining hammock long side.
    I think I might make the netting more of an oval or diamond shape, rather than a rectangle. Think Hennessy. Basically shape and sew the netting to fit the hammock when it's already whipped. This would reduce weight and probably put less stress on the netting.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Thanks, Black Bishop,

I thought about the hennessy tie outs and the whole assym thing, but decided I don't need/want them.

I know the diagonal position I want to sleep in. (I sleep with my inside shoulder outside of, or, at least on, the centerline of the hammock.)
    It is true that I have to "push the edge of the hammock out there to get in position, but, once set it's stable and I don't feel any risk of flipping. So "for me", simpler is better.

If the strain on the netting causes problems, I will go in the direction you suggest.

Thanks,
    Tom

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Thanks, Black Bishop,

I thought about the hennessy tie outs and the whole assym thing, but decided I don't need/want them.

I know the diagonal position I want to sleep in. (I sleep with my inside shoulder outside of, or, at least on, the centerline of the hammock.)
    It is true that I have to "push the edge of the hammock out there to get in position, but, once set it's stable and I don't feel any risk of flipping. So "for me", simpler is better.

If the strain on the netting causes problems, I will go in the direction you suggest.

Thanks,
    Tom
    I wasn't really recommending a HH clone, with tie-outs and Asym. Rather, I think using that shape for the bugnet would just be easier. No need for tie-outs IMO.

The stress I referred to (should've probably been clearer) wasn't stress to the body of the netting like you're suggesting (I think). I would be more concerned about having part of the netting inside the end whipping. The support lines might very well tear the netting pretty easily, making a hole and defeating the purpose. If you were to make the netting in a sort of "fitted oval" shape and attach it outside the whipping, you wouldn't have that problem. Might save a couple ounces, too. JMO.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I am a devotee of the sheet bend knot in the hammock ends, rather than the whipping technique. I don't think I'll have a problem.

With three layers of material, it is getting to be quite a handful of material.

We'll see, I guess.

Also, I plan on using the hammock as a "convertible," flipped over with the net on the bottom, when bugs are scarce. If it were sewn on assym., I don't think that would be possible.

Good points you bring up.

Tom

• + New Posts