Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    This may be a dumb question but has anyone ever thought about getting together and making some log-bridge crossings like they have up in the Smokies? I would think it would be a great alternative for folks that don't want to get drenched while day-hiking or, especially, backpacking.

Just wondered.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    One issue is that the water level varies from a few inches to over 20 ft and changes very rapidly. But the real reason is it's a wilderness area.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntn View Post
    I've only been to sipsey once and on day 1 Borden was impassable. Afternoon of day 2 and Borden looked like it did in jnunniv's pic. How does the sipsey crossing on the 202 compare to the Borden crossing? What about farther upstream where the 209 crosses? I know it's all dependent on rainfall and water level, but when conditions are the same how do they all compare to one another?
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    The other 2 you mentioned are usually not deep, with a more firm rocky bed. Slightly upstream from the 209 crossing is the cascades-you can rock hop across, but the bank is steep on the 209 side.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnunniv View Post
    One issue is that the water level varies from a few inches to over 20 ft and changes very rapidly. But the real reason is it's a wilderness area.
    Take a look at the graphs on this page. Plug in variables as needed to cover X amount of days( 1 year is standard), and scroll down. Flow from about 5 cubic feet/second to almost 7000 over the last year, gage height from about 2 to ~ 23 ft! This is for the Sipsey River, but the same principle applies to all of the feeder creeks. ( I plugged in for about 5 years and the low fell to under 1 cfs flow and high up to about 10,000! (gage height was still ~ 2 up to 31 ft. IOW, from almost nothing to wash you away!

http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/n...te_no=02450250

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/burrow
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Yes, that was Borden a little bit upstream from the official crossing point. It will get deep in a hurry when it rains.
    We went a few weeks ago and had to cross, it was knee deep, and bone chilling. My legs were numb for an hour. I guess the warmer days have helped to warm up a bit, but I'm sure still very cold.

Quote Originally Posted by MississipVol View Post
    This may be a dumb question but has anyone ever thought about getting together and making some log-bridge crossings like they have up in the Smokies? I would think it would be a great alternative for folks that don't want to get drenched while day-hiking or, especially, backpacking.

Just wondered.
    I think a cable line bridge similar to a horizontal dumb waiter would be feasible at a couple of crossings that would make crossing a bit easier during high water

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I can definitely see where the water levels would prove problematic, but I think they've done a great job in the Smokies of preserving the character of the wilderness but making trails much more accessible.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    But the real reason is it's a wilderness area.

While some type of bridge would be convenient, there are rules and/or regulations in place although I don't know all of them.

I believe there are very few, if any, man made objects that are allowed to be placed in a designated wilderness area.

IMHO, bridges are great for state parks, nature areas, etc but distract from a true wilderness experience.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 02-26-2014 at 09:24.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Dutchware half zipped
    Tarp
    Cheap Amazon speci
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UG
    Suspension
    Dutchware beetle b
    Beautiful pics. I need to find some trails near here that some nice waterfalls. That water looks a bit too cold so I have to applaud your ability to wade in that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12