Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Single or Double layer??

Ok so after much research I am pretty set on ordering a Dangerbird. It seems to offer everything that I am looking for. Now do I get a single layer or double? I am fairly light and short, 5'5" 150 lbs so that isn't an issue really. My thought is that since I am a ground sleeper converting to a hammock then I may want to use some of my existing gear. Notably either my ridge rest foam pad or my thermarest air mattress. I have read where a lot of people like the double layer setup so they can slide a pad in the middle of the layers. This seems like something that may work for me, is this a reasonable expectation or am I just as well off with a single layer? I typically do both spring and fall camping where the temps can see near and sometimes below the freezing point. I was thinking the pad would add a level of insulation. Then again I could always use it under me in a single layer anyway and hope it doesn't move around much. I would appreciate feedback from those with experience, if you use a pad in a single layer does it work out ok or do you recommend a double layer? Thoughts??!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I got a double layer for the same reason as you, but never ended up using it, as it was too much of a hassle to insert the pad. However, my main reason for getting a hammock in the first place was convenience.

I still appreciate the double layers though - according to reviews they are supposed to prevent mosquitoes from biting through the bottom. Permethrin is supposedly just as effective, although you would need to reapply frequently.

Enjoy your new hang!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I would ask, how you intended to use the D-Bird. Camping, Car camping, Hiking?

If weight is not a factor, then by all means. If it is, then why carry the extra hammock?

Another question to ask is, like most hangers, do you intend on just using the pads until you can obtain/afford an Under Quilt. If so, I'd probably go ahead and deal with the pad inside the hammock for now, until then.

Another question is, do I need or want the bug net on every trip? The answer for me is no. I'll leave it at home any time I know I won't need it. I'll carry it with me any time it's a maybe, but glad to keep it in the pack, if I don't.

When bugs are the worst around here, it's also usually the hottest. All nets restrict air flow. You only notice it, when very warm, when it makes the hammock like a sauna, or very cold when vapor freezes on it.

Best answer might be...Talk to Papasmurf! He can help you decide and build exactly what you want/need. He'd rather have a 110% satisfied customer than the usual 100% he always deals with. His communications are next to none, and will be glad to listen and work with you on every phase, from order throughout construction to delivery and set up.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    HighlandWare
    Tarp
    Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    HW Buckle & Web
    Don't have a dangerbird, however I can comment on the single vs doublelayer. Some feel the double layer helps prevent mosquito bites, though I've yet to have a mosquito bite me through either 1.1 or 1.9oz ripstop nylon. I'm extremely sensitive and needed an epipen last summer due to too many mosquito bites (over-exposed while working in in-law's garden).

That said, most feel double layers are great for when you plan on using a camping pad while the single layer is good for hotter climates to feel the breeze better, for when you want a lighter weight hammock, or if you plan on using an underquilt to take care of your colder season needs.

Hammock
    Thunderbird 1.9 double
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    20 degree Zeppelin
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I chose a double layer T'Bird so I can use a Thermarest or underquilt as desired. With the Thermarest and a groundcloth I can improvise a bivy if there aren't trees.

Art

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    A double layer hammock will give you options. A single layer will save you weight. You decide what's more important to you.

Most of my hammocks are double layered although I use underquilts, because I like to be able to put additional insulation between layers. It definitely helps keeping the insulation where you want it.

A double layer will also give you a bit of a firmer lay, and you've kind of got a fail-safe if one layer should become damaged (although I don't know how likely it is for only one layer becoming damaged...).

If I where to do a long-distance hike with lots of trees, however, I would probably go single layer.

A last thought: if you go with Dream Hammocks, you might be able to have Randy make you a UL double layer hammock from Argon. It will be heavier than a single layer 1.1 oz, but I think the Argon is about 0.7 oz, so the additional weight does not hurt too much...

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    I was thinking of getting a single layer T-Bird not just for weight, but also for space in my pack.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    One problem not always mentioned. Having a double layer to slip a pad in between probably does help keep it in place to a larger extent than one might anticipate. I move around at night and even using UQ's I find the need to adjust for position. UQ's make this really easy.

At least with your pad inside the hammock with you, one can, with some effort slide them around to where you want w/o actually getting out of the hammock. Having the pad sandwiched by your weight in between two layers of material ups the difficulty factor considerably.

I think the smaller you might be, also helps a lot when using pads. Human and Hammock alike.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    So I'm going to take this question and over think it a little: I'm looking at a double layer TB or DB, and I was concidering using polyester for the iner layer for it's wicking abilities so that if I sweat at all it'll hopefully wick away from me. Only bad thing is that the poly fabric is 1.8-1.9 I think. I was origionally hoping for 1.1/1.1. Do you guys prefer the same weight fabrics for both layers, or do you mix it up a bit? I was origionally looking at a thicker fabric for the outer layer for durability, but the colors I want are only available in the lighter fabric, so I might end up with a 1.0 or 1.1 outer and 1.8 inner layer.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    Yeti, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    A personally like the stiffness and firmness that a double layer provides. A single layer feels more stretchy to me. Mixing the outer layer (1.8 or 1.9) with a lighter inner (1.1) makes a noticeable difference in firmness for me. All about what "YOU" like and if you like it enough, you will carry the extra weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast