Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

heavy duty storage

Well I made my first hammock the other day (photos in intro thread) and today I was playing around with a bit of canvas making a bag to carry my 4wd's air hoses in and realised it is the perfect size to hold my hammock
    so now I can throw the hammock in the draws in the back of the 4x4 and not have to worry about it getting damaged by the other stuff ripping it.

Always looking for the next adventure
    www.gowalkabout.com.au

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Congrats!

BTW are there enough trees in 4WD Paradise?

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Nice! . .
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post

BTW are there enough trees in 4WD Paradise?
    Well I have been here for 24 hours and already pi$$ed someone off that must be some kind of personal record.
    BTW I don't know what it is like where you are but not all 4wd'ers are people that want to run over everything in sight and rip up the rest. Where I live we are considered the greenest state in Australia with the majority of the state covered in trees. For the most part 4wd's are a necessity to get into some very remote parts of this state and country. As for trees in some parts NO there aren't enough trees that is called the desert so when I am in these areas I will be hanging my hammock between 2 4wd's.

I am only here to learn and hopefully share.
    So Bushwhacker pull you head in and don't assume the worst in people before you even know them. Didn't your mother ever tell you "if you cant say something nice don't say anything at all".

If by some chance I have taken your comment out of context I really do apologise but if not please keep these types of comments to yourself and in your own sheltered little world.
    www.gowalkabout.com.au

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gowalkabout View Post
    Well I have been here for 24 hours and already pi$$ed someone off that must be some kind of personal record.
    BTW I don't know what it is like where you are but not all 4wd'ers are people that want to run over everything in sight and rip up the rest. Where I live we are considered the greenest state in Australia with the majority of the state covered in trees. For the most part 4wd's are a necessity to get into some very remote parts of this state and country. As for trees in some parts NO there aren't enough trees that is called the desert so when I am in these areas I will be hanging my hammock between 2 4wd's.

I am only here to learn and hopefully share.
    So Bushwhacker pull you head in and don't assume the worst in people before you even know them. Didn't your mother ever tell you "if you cant say something nice don't say anything at all".

If by some chance I have taken your comment out of context I really do apologise but if not please keep these types of comments to yourself and in your own sheltered little world.
    Sorry, you must have misunderstood me - I've lived in Australia and 4WDing was something I wanted to do but didn't have the funds. My question was referring to the lack of trees in the desert - I was curious if it would be easy enough to hang your hammock there, or if you're planning on resorting to a tent for the more arid parts of your country.

So so sorry for any misunderstanding.

Edit: I lived in ACT, where the trees are plentiful, and I am well aware of the lush rain forests in Tassie, Vic, and QLD. I just have never had the opportunity to see any sand dunes while I was there (Outback, Fraser Is, etc.).

Second Edit: Most of my question was to gauge how feasible hammock camping (without the luxury of two cars) would be should I return to Australia. I remember the trees getting sparser driving up to Armidale, but I have no idea where you would hit the land where trees are too sparse to make hammocking plausible. For instance, I have seen pictures of trees on Fraser Island, but would it be plausible to actually use them to camp? Are there restrictions on hammock camping there (or at parks with a similar ecosystem)?
    Last edited by Bushwhacker; 02-25-2014 at 00:02.

Bushwhacker as I said if it was a misunderstanding I do apologise for having a go.

In the desert or any place that is short on trees for that matter I have several options.
    I will either
    string the hammock between vehicles
    use my swag
    use my camper trailer
    or simply use my hammock as a sheet and sleep on the ground
    www.gowalkabout.com.au

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gowalkabout View Post
    Bushwhacker as I said if it was a misunderstanding I do apologise for having a go.

In the desert or any place that is short on trees for that matter I have several options.
    I will either
    string the hammock between vehicles
    use my swag
    use my camper trailer
    or simply use my hammock as a sheet and sleep on the ground
    It's quite alright - I just wanted to clear up such a dreadful misunderstanding ASAP. Never wanted to offend anyone, much less scare them away from such a great forum.

As far as I know I have never heard or seen anything about restrictions on hammocks. The biggest problem would be finding a suitable spot in some designated campgrounds but I don't think it would be that much of an issue. The way I look at it if you drive there that is one anchor point therefor you only need one tree. So even out in the desert you should be fine
    www.gowalkabout.com.au

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Glad you two settled up! Nice handiwork. This thread needs photos from both of you hanging in the Australian outback. Most of us will never get a chance to hang with the koalas, kangaroos, wallabies and dingos. Here I just go hang in the temperate rainforest or on the slopes of a nearby mountain.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Images
    Nice work mate, certainly works.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast