WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    Hammonkey, I hope you know the forum rules on language. >
    I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, and I love it.

Was talking with my account last week. We were discussing my upcoming motorcycle trip to AK. Told him I would be using the hammock up there. He commented that me in a hammock would look like a giant hotdog to a grizzly

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    blackbears are the biggest cowards of the woods. Dont worry about them, and they'll stay far away from you.
    Yea, every one I have seen they were scampering the other way. Only once in spring when I saw fresh momma bear and cub tracks did I freeze and got out of the area quickly.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I live in Bayfield County, the back of my property is a 15 minute walk from the NCT so I spend a good amount of time hanging in the woods around here I've never had one come into camp or even run into one on the trail. Only once from a good distance while day hiking. I've had far more close encounters in the Boundary Waters and every one ended up with the bear running off. Sometimes simply by spying us, others with a little yelling. Like everyone is saying keep a clean camp, be aware so you don't startle that rare, rare occasion otherwise you're good. Don't even let you bother you for a second hammock or otherwise. I've been hanging for years and as I mentioned one's never come calling or sniffing at that strange human hanging above the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Like has been said, I'd worry about your food more than anything. In the Adirondacks where I like to go hiking, we have to use bear canisters (no Ursacks allowed). And, the Garcia Machine is highly recommended. There was a bear who was able to open the BearVault (the same one in the video below). The bears are used to people, and aren't really afraid.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Like allot of other folks have said , keep your camp clean and most likely you'll have no problems.
    About being near or in-between a mother and cubs, your not really in danger , as someone else mentioned she needs to be alive to bring up her cubs so doesn't want a confrontation, but she is looking for your intentions so show her by slowly backing away from the cubs, keep calm and don't fix your gaze on her or the cubs. +1 for bear bangers,,,,,,, compact,,easy to use,,cheap.
    Grizzlies. You should not go into Grizzly area's without bear spray. Grizzlies are no joke . They act first and ask questions later. Chances are you'll never see one but be prepared. The exception to this is in certain area's on the BC coast like The Great Bear area where they are quite tolerant.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    KAQ Summer
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I think if it was an issue you would have heard horror stories on this forum.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You should not go into Grizzly area's without bear spray. Grizzlies are no joke . They act first and ask questions later.

Now you tell me

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl, XLC 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG B/I 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Last year in the BWCA I was camping on Lincoln Island on Basswood Lake and woke up to bear just starting to rummage through my gear under my hammock. I sat up, looked out and was basically nose to nose with him. He quickly jumped away from me and started walking away. By the time I got out of my hammock he already walked under my buddies tarp. I grabbed my camera and was able to get some pretty good footage.

Now, I know I should have blew a whistle or yelled at him to let him know he is not welcome in the campsite, but I felt no threat and was caught up in the moment and enjoyed the view.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Did you have food in your gear, or was he just there because he'd been fed enough to associate humans with food?
    Add life to your years!

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast