Tarp
    used blue tarp
    Insulation
    Cheap Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1"Web Bckle Amstel

Black Bears & Hammocks

Howdy all,

Going to be venturing into the north woods this spring and had a couple questions.

Has anybody had any experiences/stories with Black bears and Hammock camping?

Any tips other then don't take an open snickers bar laying on my chest as I drift off.

Never really worried about it when I tent camped before but It will be my first hammock swing in the woods.

Thanks for the info erverbuddy!
    "There is no Wi-Fi in the forest, but I promise you will find a better connection"
    "Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    "I have never found time spent amongst nature to be a waste of time"
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Adventure may hurt, but monotony will kill you"
    "I yearn for a place untouched by man" <-- Best describes me

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    A tent wouldn't stop a curious bear either.. If they want in something , they will get in for sure.. Just don't keep anything they like by your person..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    HH/SLD/GTUL/DH
    Tarp
    WL BD/MLD UL/OES
    Insulation
    te-wa/KAQ/WL/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies
    a t**t gives you a false sense of security. you will be fine just store food and smelly things safely.
    check out my youtube channel! Trip Reports and hammock talk. - Creekcrossings Youtube channel

My Blog - Creekcrossings blog

Also check out my Facebook page! - Creekcrossings Facebook page

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I've never been able to understand why people feel safer in a tent than in a hammock. The tent material, even old canvas tents, is like tissue paper when it comes to sharp claws.

And when it comes right down to it, unzipping a tent door to flee is no harder than unzipping a bug net.

Keep a clean campsite, do your cooking away from your tent, hang your food (and other smelly stuff) PROPERLY and at a reasonable distance, clean your fish across the lake. I emphasize the 'properly' because I can't begin to tell you how many campers I've seen being lazy with their hangs. Me, cause I throw worse than a girl, I bought a bear barrel. It goes with me unless I'm camping with others that CAN throw a rope.

Me, I'll take a comfortable bed that I'll probably sleep through a bear exploring the kitchen area of the campsite before I'd sleep on the ground thinking that I'm safe.

If it's a worry, hang your bear spray from the ridgeline.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    used blue tarp
    Insulation
    Cheap Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1&quot;Web Bckle Amstel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Gout View Post
    A tent wouldn't stop a curious bear either.. If they want in something , they will get in for sure.. Just don't keep anything they like by your person..
    Quote Originally Posted by yooz85 View Post
    a t**t gives you a false sense of security. you will be fine just store food and smelly things safely.
    they do give that sense, and that's why I never thought of it before. I was hoping to not use my tarp too much either( unless absolutely needed ). something about sleeping under the stars in the open air is needed during this trip.

Thanks
    "There is no Wi-Fi in the forest, but I promise you will find a better connection"

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    used blue tarp
    Insulation
    Cheap Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1&quot;Web Bckle Amstel
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post

If it's a worry, hang your bear spray from the ridgeline.

I don't think it's a worry more than I have heard hundreds of stories / tips from tent campers but not many from hangers.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Do everything that you know you should be doing in the woods to discourage bears or any other critters from eating your dinner, and whatever you do, don't dream about bear burritos or bear pinatas. (just kidding!)
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    ENO DN or DIY 11' CS90
    Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    From what I understand, black bears are generally wimps. They stumble into people territory drawn by the smell of food, soap, etc., and don't notice the trembling people watching them from over the collars of their sleeping bags. Then someone gets the courage up to yell at the bear, it gets spooked and runs off.So, if you do get face to face with one, just raise a racket and get all big and mean looking - and don't run unless charged, cause then you're prey.

Then again, the only wild bear I've ever seen was the one I almost ran into with my car in the middle of a town in Maine. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I was spending 3 days by myself hiking thru Hoist Lakes area (in Alcona County, MI) last fall. It was October and the fall colors were AMAZING! Perfect weather in the 50's-60 daytime, 25-30 at night.

The first night I stopped to camp near North Noist Lake. The sun was about down but had about 45 minutes of light left so I walked down to the water to filter some for the night and morning coffee. When I looked up, I saw a black bear about 50yards away getting his evening drink too!

Very uncomfortable feeling to start the trip. But they're usually very timid and bolt at the sight of a human. I quickly got my iPhone out and took a few pics and video. It was cool to see him run up the hill and disappear into the brush, while seeing a trail of thrashing trees marking his location.

The next day I was hiking to a new location and after a couple miles I saw a black bear running full speed thru the woods crossing the trail about 75 yards in front of me.

Senior Member Sleepytime Gorilla Sack's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO DN, WBBB 1.9-1.1, GrandTrunk UL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator &amp; Burrow
    Suspension
    Ready Straps
    There is a Sow in my Nicolet National stomping grounds I run into periodically over the years. A few years ago bow hunting I had her at arms length while I stood there in a gille. Felt like a eternity.

As stated: Keep your cook gear and food tightly bagged and hung/isolated with the rest of your unused nightly bag/gear. If the food stuff is contained your special scent will do more to keep them away...although I have had [watched] them follow my trail/scent. Just be cautious in season where the sows have cubs along.

Agreed, hammock/tarp will be no different then a tent. If they think there is opportunity for food and are hungry they are going to "open" the shelter. Black Bears would be low on my list of potential worries.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast