NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's

Tx>lsht>th11

Hey all! It appears I have to take an unpaid furlough from work starting March 17 and going to the 21st. So, I thought I"d do a looong hike on the LSHT from the morning of the 15th to Sunday the 23rd. I'll start at Trail Head 11 and go west to TH 6. depending on the weather and my own stamina I may bail earlier, in which case I'll update this thread, but TH11 - 6 is my plan for now.

I'm researching what I need in the way of permits, burn bans, etc. right now and have all the maps in electronic form (and will probably download them for printing as well), but was wondering if any of y'all have any tips and tricks I should know before launching on my adventure. Any advice is welcome as long as you understand I will freely ignore it at a moment's notice, or upon seeing a grasshopper or squirrel.

Also, anyone who is out during those weekends (or that week for that matter) chime in and we can try to get together.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    There is a pretty good water crossing some where close to where you are starting out (we crossed it last month and it would be a wet crossing most of the time... we were able to climb across a downed tree). No real elevation changes, so you can cover quite a bit of ground. Plenty of trees, so you won't have any problem finding a place to hang.

Have a great trip.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    This was posted to the LSHT Yahoo Group this morning:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...ns/topics/3327

Morning,

Wanted to pass along a report from the #15 trailhead. Finished the entire trail, wow what an experience. For people planning to hike soon, here's some current updates:

Swampiest:
    Mile 90-93: easily the slowest going part! Super boggy and muddy, expect to move slowly through here.
    Mile 9-12: also very sloppy.

Water issues:
    I carried iodine and UV filter, but even with those, there were only a few places I felt ok getting water. Especially between miles 33 (Alligator Creek) - 71 (while fording San Jacinto), there were only three creeks with non-stagnant water. Not sure what the drought index means on the LSHT site, but water was very limited. Tarkington Bayou (approx mile 81 - 90) was completely dry, no muddy sections, less shade, no water either. This was probably my least favorite portion of the hike, but probably beautiful in more wet seasons.

Most captivating:
    Being from CA, Im more used to high elevations, Sierras and mountain lakes. I don't think I'd ever been hiking in a bayou iron swamp. Winters Bayou by far was the most exceptional to me. Even the muddy sections were made ok by the beauty of this ecosystem. The pistachio green ponds, ferns and wildflowers at sunset made my day yesterday. Hiking solo, I was able to surprise and spot quite a few turtles, snakes...and perhaps an alligator? Miles 90-96 were the most unique to me. That said, the stretch between Double Lake and Upper Tarkington TH is also lovely. You get some nice hills and a good workout for sure.

Mile markers missing?
    I did not spot 70, 82, 83, or 95. Unsure if I missed them or they're missing!

I have much more to report, but tired, and with a twisted ankle. Soon getting a ride back to TH #1, then on back to Austin. I don't check this board often. If you have specific questions about a section, feel free to email me: christopher@ subtxt.us.

Thanks to everyone who helps keep this trail alive and well!

Christopher

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    Thanks Sarge! I'e got a couple of weeks and I was planning on carrying a 3L bladder for water storage and at least a 2L bottle for drinking from. I've both the Sawyer Squeeze and Mini and am slightly phobic about using them both, one after the other. AND adding Aquamira to the bladder.

Still it's good to know it's a bit dry now, but hopefully in th enext couple of weeks some rain will fall and it'll at least be less stagnant. I'll subscribe to the yahoo group as well.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
    Thanks Sarge! I'e got a couple of weeks and I was planning on carrying a 3L bladder for water storage and at least a 2L bottle for drinking from. I've both the Sawyer Squeeze and Mini and am slightly phobic about using them both, one after the other. AND adding Aquamira to the bladder.

Still it's good to know it's a bit dry now, but hopefully in th enext couple of weeks some rain will fall and it'll at least be less stagnant. I'll subscribe to the yahoo group as well.
    My general impression of stuff I've read and where I've been on the trail is to not count on it for water. My plans for the thru is to cache water wherever I can along the route.

Hammock
    SimplyLight Trail Layer
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ & EE TQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    My general impression of stuff I've read and where I've been on the trail is to not count on it for water. My plans for the thru is to cache water wherever I can along the route.
    How do you plan on cacheing water so it doesn't get accidentally picked up? My initial thought is that trailheads are a good place since you can drop them off, but the traffic seems like it might disappear more quickly too.

Also, anybody have resources or knowledge about the Little Lake Creek Loop Trail? Can't find much info about it other than a pretty map.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    When we were down last fall, sarge cached water for us. He had just hiked in a bit from a TH, found a blow down, and hid the water under it. Within 10 yards f the road or TH.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkygeek View Post
    How do you plan on cacheing water so it doesn't get accidentally picked up? My initial thought is that trailheads are a good place since you can drop them off, but the traffic seems like it might disappear more quickly too.

Also, anybody have resources or knowledge about the Little Lake Creek Loop Trail? Can't find much info about it other than a pretty map.
    As RJ said, I just hike from the nearest PL to a good site that is recognizable and has vegetation or blow downs that afford concealment. One of the caches was at the intersection of the Little Lake Loop and LSHT in some bushes, another under a blow down about 20 yards down the trail, etc.

We hiked a bit of the LLC at the Last Chance hang. My impression of the part we did hike is that its not much different from the LSHT, but I've gotten some input from others that says it can be difficult to follow in some parts. The portion just west of PL #4 has been closed until just recently. While it hasn't been traveled extensively, it has been recently cleared of the deadfall from the drought and should be in tip top maintenance condition right now.
    Last edited by sargevining; 02-26-2014 at 11:21.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I’m hiking the LSHT west-to-east starting tomorrow morning. I hope to finish in 4½ or 5 days, lower extremities permitting. I’m planning on dropping water near Evelyn Road and at the mid-point of the Big Woods section off FS202. With all the rain today it may not really be necessary, but better safe than sorry. I’ll post a trip report when I get back.

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaggleroot View Post
    I’m hiking the LSHT west-to-east starting tomorrow morning. I hope to finish in 4½ or 5 days, lower extremities permitting. I’m planning on dropping water near Evelyn Road and at the mid-point of the Big Woods section off FS202. With all the rain today it may not really be necessary, but better safe than sorry. I’ll post a trip report when I get back.
    A trip report will be most welcome! Can you post the fact you've done it here, so I'll know it's posted in the trip report section? Thanks!
    Last edited by lostagain; 02-27-2014 at 00:56. Reason: correct spelling

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast