EasyHammock Hiker XL green
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp2
    Insulation
    Down sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Issue EasyHammock

Hammock kit list.

OK, so now that I have decided to become a complete convert, I'm in the process of rethinkig/revamping/upgrading and redoing my kit. So any pointers what more do I need?
    1. I would like to go as light as possible but without sacrificing too much comfort. Also I like simplicity and ease of use.
    2. I'm 6'4''/270 pounds so can't really go UL.
    3. I have some bits from my ground dwelling days, it would be nice to keep them (I love my tarp).

So far:

HAMMOCK: Custom double layer with netting (can't be completely removed, only stowed away) - Woodsman X from UKhammocks. 27.5 oz.

SUSPENTION: Webbing, ring buckle and ti dutch clips.

ISOLATION: Custom top/under down quilts, both about 20F, total about 3 pounds (not arrived yet).

TARP: Over the ridgeline IntegralDesign siltarp3 (12x10), 6 x 2mm dynema lines, TI stakes, dutchware. Total 30 oz.

Tarp goes in to a drybag (2oz) and everything compressed with ridgeline.
    Hammock + suspention in a bishop bag and in a big drybag (3oz) with quilts.

So I'm looking for any advice on what gadgets are worth the extra weight, what I might need and what can be binned.
    Now I have doubts/thoughts on:
    - snake skins (I'm quite happy with stuffing in a drybag),
    - tri bags (I was thinking to use bishop bag from the hammock for that/as a pillow),
    - triangle thingies for UQ (I was hoping to replace them with cords/prussic loops),
    - ridgeline organizer (can't I just hang things on the ridgeline?),
    - ground sheet, very usefull when GD under a tarp but does it help to have it under a hammock?
    - gear hammock, I have light (6oz) small hammock/chair for chilling that can be used for storing gear
    - a dedicated pillow, so far I have been "surviving" on a stuffed drybag,
    Any other commodities? I had my GD system really streamlined and "versatilized", but with the hammock I need to do that thinking all over..
    Last edited by MattBigmonster; 02-25-2014 at 17:54.

Triangle Thingies ... I am about to make a set out of light dyneema cord (cos I have lots of it around) but the more I have looked into it the more I can see that the sewn triangles are probably worth it in the long run as the cord along 'can' rub through other items as the movement creates friction sawing.

Groundsheet - I just balance in my hammock while I fish my boots from under the hammock and put them on

Gear hammock - I am about to try the DIY hammock chair / gear hammock but until then I just use a pack cover that came with a rucksack (using elastic / cord / mini biners to string it up)

Ridgeline organiser - I don't want the weight or bulk but I am about to make one ... because I am fed up of waterbottles descending on my head in the hammock, losing fone, camera etc and trying to find headtorches hung on the ridgeline in the darkness

Good luck with your choices

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It sounds as if you have all the big decisions made. The fluffy stuff is what remains. Congratulations!

I do take a small water-impervious sheet. I use it for various things.

It can be the place under my hammock where I can put sock feet and usually expect them to stay dry while I find my boots.

I keep it in the top of my pack so I can put it on a rock for a rest period. No rock in my part of the world is without dampness, and I hate wet pants.

It is also a good thing to spread out on a picnic table for making a meal.

My current one is a FedEx large tyvek envelope which I liberated and cut open. I also rounded off the corners to make it lay better and look cooler.

Tarp skins look great. I plan to make a set someday. For now, I get along without them. You might consider whether a set of tarp skins would be lighter than the dry bag you are planning to use. Think.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp2
    Insulation
    Down sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Issue EasyHammock
    Yeay, those little things I keep perving over :-)
    ACCESORIES. Less is more but some of them are sooo cool. Me want.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Looks like you have things pretty well thought-out!

I found that a pillow wasn't as necessary in the hammock vs sleeping flat 'on the ground' (I still use something in a stuff sac, just not as much thickness).
    You'll figure that out for yourself after one night, though.

I've tried a couple of inflatable pillows and don't like them (yet).

+1 on the waterproof stuff sacs/dry bags for keeping your wet tarp separate from the rest of your (dry) stuff.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Your tarp is made to get wet, don't stuff it in a dry sack. Carry it in an outside pocket so that you can set it up during a storm without opening your pack.
    Your hammock suspension will get wet in a rain and can get tree sap on it. You want it removable from the hammock so you can pack it separately, if need be.
    Use one of your empty stuff sacks as a ridgeline organizer.
    Oh, congratulations on getting up off the ground!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp2
    Insulation
    Down sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Issue EasyHammock
    Yes, my tarp lives in a separate small drybag outside of the pack (Hammock, UQ, TQ in a big drybag inside the pack).

When you look at other people videos they always seem to have their hammocks suspension plastered with items and bags and what not clipped to it. So I have been wondering what am I missing.

I'm really thinking about butchering my old CCF pad to make a foot box pad/sit pad/kneel pad/under the hammock pad. And maybe a pillow. But from what you are saying there is not much extra you need in a hammock.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Give the skins a try. You will like being able to set up and not deploy the tarp until needed.

This is what currently works well for me, and others....because I got it from someone else here bouts. Most just common sense.

Try to use a single internal pack sized dry bag, ONLY for those things you MUST keep dry. Hammock, Insulation, clothing mostly.

Things like maps, phone, food, firekit, are probably best served in their own double sealed storage containers or zip-lock bags and can ride inside, on top or in a pocket somewhere.

I keep my tarp stowed with RL and cordage rolled up in snake skins, in the large outside pack pocket, along with, Rain gear, hammock suspension, (4) Ti-stakes, Tato Tie-Outs, and Tarp cover. Things that can and will get wet to keep me dry.

You won't even need to open your pack up to the elements, until you're out of the weather.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Give the skins a try. You will like being able to set up and not deploy the tarp until needed.

This is what currently works well for me, and others....because I got it from someone else here bouts. Most just common sense.

Try to use a single internal pack sized dry bag, ONLY for those things you MUST keep dry. Hammock, Insulation, clothing mostly.

I keep my tarp stowed with RL and cordage rolled up in snake skins, in the large outside pack pocket, along with, Rain gear, hammock suspension, (4) Ti-stakes, Tato Tie-Outs, and Tarp cover. Things that can and will get wet to keep me dry.

You won't even need to open your pack up to the elements, until you're out of the weather.
    This is what I do also. Tarp (in skins), stakes, and rain gear in the outside mesh pocket.

Everything that MUST stay dry is in the pack in a trash compactor bag.

Simple and effective.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    Snakeskins are a huge convenience. I can hang my tarp, in the skins, and have an unobstructed view that I can convert to rain cover in under two minutes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast