zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    the loft is exaggerated. significantly.
    how so? if the loft is measured as the pic shows on the golite website, attached to a pad that is... it is at least 5"
    they measure loft on the quilt just like any other bag company measures loft on a sleeping bag. just to clear up any misconceptions.
    there is a general acceptance for temp ratings on loft, and id say 2.5" is pushing a 20° rating claim, but not significantly exaggerated. my 2¢

then again, i have a tq i made that is about 30% overfill and it has only 1.5" baffles, overstuffed to 2". the density of the down takes me down to 20° without worry.
    I doubt, however that the Ultra has a 30% overfill

Images
    ordered mine this beautiful rainy morn.

Hammock
    BB, HH Expd, Eno (it's a sickness!)
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti!
    Yeah, I broke down and got one as well. Tried to resist..I am weak!!!

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x12 Sil Nylon
    Insulation
    Peapod
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Yes, you get an order confirmation email almost immediately. Then, another email with tracking info upon shipment.
    Thanks. I contacted them via chat. No one was on when I sent the message but about 8:30AM PDT, they got back to me telling me that my order didn't go thru. I reentered it. Interestingly, my account creation did work ... Maybe I didn't keep clicking long enough last time.

Anyway, I've got an order receipt and was able to enter "wife carrying contest" too. A great deal.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    "wife carrying contest" doesnt seem to work anymore. an expired riddle, or wrong answer. I was told on the "sierra trading post coupon" forums that it was reliable, but did not work for me. Sorry if it does not work for anyone else either...Regardless, $14 for the poncho is worth me not having to drive to Bass Pro to get one myself. I like the big brown truck.

then again, STP sent me a new email today with a 25% off anything coupon in it. if you follow the link from the email, it is automatically subtracted at checkout. figures, a day late

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    how so? if the loft is measured as the pic shows on the golite website, attached to a pad that is... it is at least 5"
    they measure loft on the quilt just like any other bag company measures loft on a sleeping bag. just to clear up any misconceptions.
    there is a general acceptance for temp ratings on loft, and id say 2.5" is pushing a 20° rating claim, but not significantly exaggerated. my 2¢

then again, i have a tq i made that is about 30% overfill and it has only 1.5" baffles, overstuffed to 2". the density of the down takes me down to 20° without worry.
    I doubt, however that the Ultra has a 30% overfill
    maybe a 30% underfill. i get what you are saying about the loft, though, i never realized the bottom flaps were to be included, possibly along with the pad. i think the quilts ability is significantly overrated by the 20 degree rating, especially if used alone on the ground. i found that it performed better in the hammock, but this was in conjunction with plenty of other insulation.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    the big thing to consider, is that loft doesnt lie. 2" loft should get one down to 20° in a bag but the major component in a bag that a quilt lacks is a hood.
    Still i think a quilt with a 2.5" loft should work to 20° - get a Jacks r Better Down Hood and you could go even lower, possibly.
    i was under the impression that the down can shift during the night and leave bare spots (at the hip and shoulders) that caused some reasonable complaints. If you guys end up with loss of down, cold spots, or overall feel the fill is less than desirable, maybe i can do an overfill upgrade for a small fee. still, even if you only get 30° from the thing, at 19oz i wouldnt complain. my 2¢

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Thank you for the discount information, Mike. Great timing. We are heading out for Banff and Jasper NP soon. It was time to lighten up my day pack options. Yippee!I just placed an order for an Ion.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    the big thing to consider, is that loft doesnt lie. 2" loft should get one down to 20° in a bag but the major component in a bag that a quilt lacks is a hood.
    Still i think a quilt with a 2.5" loft should work to 20° - get a Jacks r Better Down Hood and you could go even lower, possibly.
    i was under the impression that the down can shift during the night and leave bare spots (at the hip and shoulders) that caused some reasonable complaints. If you guys end up with loss of down, cold spots, or overall feel the fill is less than desirable, maybe i can do an overfill upgrade for a small fee. still, even if you only get 30° from the thing, at 19oz i wouldnt complain. my 2¢
    A Feathered Friends Winter Wren has 2.5in baffles and a very conservative 25 degree rating. I second the reccomendation on the JRB hood.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    I talked to a nice lady named Brenda at GoLite... the quilt has not been redesigned. She said they underestimated how popular it would be, which is why it disappeared for a while while they got more stock in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast