Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    the big thing to consider, is that loft doesnt lie. 2" loft should get one down to 20° in a bag but the major component in a bag that a quilt lacks is a hood.
    Still i think a quilt with a 2.5" loft should work to 20° - get a Jacks r Better Down Hood and you could go even lower, possibly.
    i was under the impression that the down can shift during the night and leave bare spots (at the hip and shoulders) that caused some reasonable complaints. If you guys end up with loss of down, cold spots, or overall feel the fill is less than desirable, maybe i can do an overfill upgrade for a small fee. still, even if you only get 30° from the thing, at 19oz i wouldnt complain. my 2¢
    I always thought that 2.5" top layer loft ( or 5" bottom plus top in a bag) was associated by most bag ratings with 20*? But I might be wrong. But whichever it is, there are those other variables, such as hoods and amount of down control and draft tubes and neck collars.

So IMO a 5" loft (both layers) semi-rectangular bag will not be as warm as a hooded/neck collared mummy of the same loft and shape. Unless of course some means of compensating for head and neck insulation is used.

How much more so, then, with a hood-less quilt, which is far more prone to developing drafts along the side if you move in your sleep or when you try to turn over? And even more so on the ground and with a more narrow quilt? The total body "sealing" around head and neck and sides is a considerable contributor to the warmth rating of any bag of given loft. Same thickness of top layer does not guarantee same warmth, and in my experience the difference is easily noted.

In my Ultra 20 in a hammock, I have done an extremely windy 18* OK with adequate clothing, including my hooded 14 oz PG jacket and 8 oz PG pants. Another snowy night in the mid to hi 20s, and using the same clothes/quilt, I woke up middle of the night a tad cool on top. This time I added my Marmot down hood ( well over 2.5" thick measuring one layer) and quickly became toasty warm and stayed that way. Another time I made it with this quilt and clothing for most of the night down to about 11*F, though I had to get on my side with bag pulled mostly over my head. But even with that, I was too cool to stay asleep by about 0430, so I had to switch to a thicker bag with hood, then I was fine. I wish I had thought to try my Marmot hood before I ditched the GL Ultra 20.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    valid for 1 week starting thursday June 4th 2009
    So does this end tonight or tomorrow? I get confused sometimes.

Also, I am looking at doing a little trip to Europe next year, so I am looking at the Jam pack as something lightweight. Anyone with any experience with this pack? Will it classify as carry on?

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    so what do you get with a chinese made bag? an empty baffle!
    on the side of the quilt there are baffles, granted these will usually lay under a normal hammock sleeper and the down would be compressed anyway, rendering it (near) useless.. but one of the baffles on the far side of the quilt is completley empty. Second time for a chinese made bag, first was a Montbell SS #3 with a totally empty chest baffle. Its a good thing: I have a bunch of down, I know how to sew, and the price was so cheap.
    anyone else get theirs?

Fig, sale ends Friday. I suggest you talk to Brian @ ULA-equipment.com and discuss the pack to fit your needs. I found after owning a Jam2, the Conduit is far superior.

Images
    One negative re: Golite so far: While trying to decide which pack I should order, I followed the link "Have a question?", asking advice. First at the start of this sale, and again yesterday or the day before. I have had NO response.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    so what do you get with a chinese made bag? an empty baffle!
    on the side of the quilt there are baffles, granted these will usually lay under a normal hammock sleeper and the down would be compressed anyway, rendering it (near) useless.. but one of the baffles on the far side of the quilt is completley empty. Second time for a chinese made bag, first was a Montbell SS #3 with a totally empty chest baffle. Its a good thing: I have a bunch of down, I know how to sew, and the price was so cheap.
    anyone else get theirs?

Fig, sale ends Friday. I suggest you talk to Brian @ ULA-equipment.com and discuss the pack to fit your needs. I found after owning a Jam2, the Conduit is far superior.
    Did they refund part or all of your money or offer to fix it for you?

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i got mine. didn't appear to have any empty down holes. although it does appear thin to meet the +20 rating. who knows though, i've never had a quilt before, only sleeping bags, so the lack of loft underneath when it's lying out may be deceiving

either way, it's super freaking light and soft. the 'windproof' feature of the pertex is interesting too. if i can rig my goretex bivy undercover i should be fine down to freezing in this and my wally world blue pad (until i can afford a yeti)

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Did they refund part or all of your money or offer to fix it for you?
    i fixed it. they appear to be sold out of the regular size. and to make things worse, by the time i paid shipping and waited for a new quilt i could have added my own down a hundred times. what i put in was in the neighborhood of 4g. down.
    here's the kicker: the practice thread that came with my machine is the exact same color as the golite thread (that ugly turquoise) so the patch job is flawless... exept the Ultra has sorta gray down and the stuff i put in is bright white

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Hmmm... I don't have any idea what down costs, but even if I were capable of doing a flawless patch job, I would expect a further discount or store credit or something for sending you a defective product.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    i got mine. didn't appear to have any empty down holes. although it does appear thin to meet the +20 rating. who knows though, i've never had a quilt before, only sleeping bags, so the lack of loft underneath when it's lying out may be deceiving

either way, it's super freaking light and soft. the 'windproof' feature of the pertex is interesting too. if i can rig my goretex bivy undercover i should be fine down to freezing in this and my wally world blue pad (until i can afford a yeti)
    what is a yeti?

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    a 2/3 length underquilt sold by some dude here. warbonnetguy maybe. light and warm and small

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast