Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TTTM popularity

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10

TTTM popularity

I was looking into buying a Ticket to the moon double and i've been searching the forums for review on similar hammocks like one from ENO, GT and Kammock.

While I have been able to find some reviews on the TTTM using the search, the overall impression I have is that it is not as popular as the others. Is their any particular reason that people don't seem to use them in their setups as much? I just want to be sure that I'm not missing anything. If I do decide on it in the end i don't want to be disappointed.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Lots of folks have them, though not as many as the other brands that actually distribute in the US or North America. They are fine hammocks....and some of us think that they make some of the others you listed and some of the dozens of other brands of parachute hammocks. But many folks look at the shipping cost and time compared to something you might be able to pick up locally in the other brands....hence the lack of a major following.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaDan View Post
    I was looking into buying a Ticket to the moon double and i've been searching the forums for review on similar hammocks like one from ENO, GT and Kammock.

While I have been able to find some reviews on the TTTM using the search, the overall impression I have is that it is not as popular as the others. Is their any particular reason that people don't seem to use them in their setups as much? I just want to be sure that I'm not missing anything. If I do decide on it in the end i don't want to be disappointed.
    This is just a guess, but I'd think availability is the key factor.

Eno and Grand Trunk are available throughout the US, both from a number of online vendors as well as at brick and mortar sporting goods stores (REI, EMS, etc.).

From just a quick search, the only place I could find to purchase a TTTM hammock was from their website. Which means you would have to order and have it shipped from Indonesia - for a flat rate of $20.

Their shopping cart was displaying funny on my computer - but from what I could gather their double hammock was $55, + $20 shipping = $75 (and that's assuming that there are no VAT or other fees associated). For $69 you can walk into REI and pick one up, if you so desire. Or you can find a deal and get them for less on Amazon, or any number of other websites. I.e. you save money, and don't have to wait for it to arrive from overseas.

Kammock is now sold at REI as well.

This, of course, is just an observation from someone who hasn't actually tried to buy any of them. And given that you're in Canada, perhaps they are more ready available there.

In the end, pretty much all the mass market type 'parachute' hammocks are the same product - and that one seems like more of a hassle to procure in the US.

So, what Paul said.

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Thanks for the replies! that explanation makes a lot of sense. I think I'm going to go for the TTTM double in the end, I've found a local dealer down the street that sells them for $60CAN ($53.90US at current rates). It's an even better price than the the TTTM's own website!

CanadaDan,

Not sure if you bought one yet or not but it looks like they'll be touring Canada's Costco stores. They're in Montreal from April 1-13. http://www.costco.ca/wcsstore/Costco...ENGLISH_01.pdf

Not sure what the prices will be but it might be worth waiting until then.

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Thanks! I havn't bought it yet, i'll have to look at what its going for at costco.

I did find a TTTM distributor right in my city which is selling them for less than the official website. Even is cosco has decent prices, since im not a member there, i doubt it'll be worth it.

Keep in mind that the prices on the linked site would be in CAD, not USD.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I believe you can mail order from Costco, if you have a membership, at least in the USA it is possible.

We used a friends membership, he just went with us while we made our purchases. We liked the store so we bought a membership.

You could make a trip across the border and buy your hammock State Side. That is what I do when I want something that I can not purchase where I am living. Now days I go back and forth frequently. I buy my gear online or pick it up in the USA and take it back to Canada. Just be aware of the exemptions, and do not fib.

CanadaDan - be sure to post back with your thoughts on the hammock. I'll be looking at the double when their travelling road show gets to the local Costco in a couple of weeks.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    I don't know if you have made a purchase by this time or not but I recently pulled the trigger on a TTTM set up. The VAT was included in the price. If your order exceedes a certain amount, I do not recall but the total set up does, they drop the shipping charge all together.
    Now, I have not actually hung my new hammock yet but it LOOKS good. The stiching seems sound and, as an old paratrooper, I am familer with this kind of material. It all looks and feels kosher.
    I got a TTTM Single hammock in Chocolate brown with purple trim and a matching $20 daypack. My Chocolate lab, who has been my constant companion for years died on Christmas Eve, she always wore a purple colar. This is my little tribute to Elsie May dog and my way of taking her along on future adventures. Anyway, I also got the "nautical rope" set, the bug bag and the tarp.
    The whole kit'n'caboodle tapped out right around $205 and I had it in about 4 business days. I was stunned at the shipping. Their website was kind of funky. It has an interactive, build your "thing" thing in it. I could not do it from my work computer at all, not that I would EVER use my work computer to order sporting goods from....or post to a forum...(looking around hasitly)...It worked fine from my home computer though.
    All in all, I am pleased with it. Of course, this may change the first time I conduct training, in the old back yard and cannot get the thing hung or it dumps me on my butt! That will certainly be the hammocks fault and not mine too.

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    I may not be a gram weenie, but I am a stickler to paying the lowest price available for an item! I'm going to have to send some emails to all the providers and get quotes on shipping, VAT, etc. to figure this out!

I've committed myself to pull the trigger on an TTTM double, but I need to save some money before I can. I'm in no rush anyways since I don't plan on really using it until at least may. All my extra spending money is currently being saved up for some new rock climbing gear (shoes and harness). The hammock will be next on the list of gear to buy!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast