Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Anyone from Manitoba??

As a newbie I appreciate your sentiments. It can be very confusing trying to choose equipment when there are so many divergent opinions. I chose my hammock based on my location, the availability, price, reviews, weight...
    You mentioned helping new members to find others in their area to talk in person. Just wondering if anyone out there is from Manitoba, Canada.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    if i'm in the woods i'm happy, and you should be too!

Hammock
    Diy rip stop
    Tarp
    DIY Ripstop hex
    Insulation
    diy climashld UQTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Right on! Well said, I agree!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I've been at this for a while, now, and have a duffle bag full of hammocks to show for it. I sleep every night in a "beginner hammock."
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_R View Post
    Out in the woods for the most part your right. although I have have people try and make me change to what they have on many occasions..

But when a new person comes in here and says he just bought so and so and everyone says he should have gotta this or that to the point
    where they now are not happy with what they bought even before laying in it.. its just not needed. It in no way helps the new person.

Encouraging them to meet a local member and try one out for themselves is much more productive, and gives them a positive look on things.
    Also shows them its ok not to follow the crowd or not to be embarrassed because they have a less popular or less expensive hammock.
    I like and agree to the spirit of this post and follow-up comments.
    I find most folks provide a good analysis of what they have/used/know - Ex: "I've owned both and .....".
    A few add remarks without regard to their actual experience or facts - based on their internet/youtube knowledge (maybe even seeking recognition as to being a subject matter expert). Ex: "If you buy, then you need to change this/that, and send it out for mods.....".
    Noob questions one month followed by expert advice the next would be a red flag to me. You can click on a user's ID and show his/her other posts.
    I guess you just need to learn/look into who is real world experienced vs. who is 'virtually' knowledgeable as part of your research.
    That being said - this is the internet and anyone can comment.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    good thoughts indeed.
    The subtlety is strong in this one. - Yoda
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I respectfully disagree with the concept of hammock equality. If someone solicits opinions, there are always differences of opinion. That's why people ask for opinions - to help them make a decision. In the example given, "I have seen this go as far as to make a new member regret his choice of what he ordered when he hasn't even tried it yet!" then that OP is to blame for soliciting opinions on something AFTER he bought it.

Saying that all hammocks are good is like saying all cars are good. There's a Yugo; then there's a Ferrari. No, all cars are not good, just as all hammocks aren't good.

What annoys me is when people just invent something to get offended about. Somebody always steps up to say that mass-produced-in-China hammocks (aka beginner or noob hammocks) are just as good as cottage vendor hammocks, etc., and let's avoid calling them beginner or noob hammocks lest we offend someone and geez, can't we keep it all happy? Someone suggested once that we call them gateway hammocks - that's getting a bit ridiculous.

I would hope the word police don't incorporate anything into the HF TOS about what adjectives we can and cannot use to express our opinions. Just as OP thinks all hammocks are bad ***, I think all opinions are bad ***. I also think we have a rich and wonderful language that we should use to its fullest extent. If someone wants to call ENO or Kammok a beginner hammock, or they call the Clark a Cadillac hammock, that's not brand bashing. It's just someone expressing their opinion.

And there is nothing in the HF TOS to indicate that we are all here to promote or proselytize hammocks. The TOS does say, "Be Respectful. This is not negotiable." However, that applies to people, not products. If someone thinks ENO is a beginner hammock, that shows no disrespect to the owner of the hammock, and it is ridiculous to assert such a thing.

As others have mentioned, if you feel like it's a personal attack that someone called your brand of hammock a beginner hammock, then you should probably stay off the Internet entirely.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 02-27-2014 at 21:53.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I respectfully disagree with the concept of hammock equality. If someone solicits opinions, there are always differences of opinion. That's why people ask for opinions - to help them make a decision. In the example given, "I have seen this go as far as to make a new member regret his choice of what he ordered when he hasn't even tried it yet!" then that OP is to blame for soliciting opinions on something AFTER he bought it.

Saying that all hammocks are good is like saying all cars are good. There's a Yugo; then there's a Ferrari. No, all cars are not good, just as all hammocks aren't good.

What annoys me is when people just invent something to get offended about. Somebody always steps up to say that mass-produced-in-China hammocks (aka beginner or noob hammocks) are just as good as cottage vendor hammocks, etc., and let's avoid calling them beginner or noob hammocks lest we offend someone and geez, can't we keep it all happy? Someone suggested once that we call them gateway hammocks - that's getting a bit ridiculous.

I would hope the word police don't incorporate anything into the HF TOS about what adjectives we can and cannot use to express our opinions. Just as OP thinks all hammocks are bad ***, I think all opinions are bad ***. I also think we have a rich and wonderful language that we should use to its fullest extent. If someone wants to call ENO or Kammok a beginner hammock, or they call the Clark a Cadillac hammock, that's not brand bashing. It's just someone expressing their opinion.

And there is nothing in the HF TOS to indicate that we are all here to promote or proselytize hammocks. The TOS does say, "Be Respectful. This is not negotiable." However, that applies to people, not products. If someone thinks ENO is a beginner hammock, that shows no disrespect to the owner of the hammock, and it is ridiculous to assert such a thing.

As others have mentioned, if you feel like it's a personal attack that someone called your brand of hammock a beginner hammock, then you should probably stay off the Internet entirely.
    Yeah, that pretty much sums up my thoughts about this as well.
    Last edited by silentorpheus; 02-28-2014 at 00:46. Reason: That pretty much sums it up. Yup.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123