Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    12 ft polypro straps, 1 inch and JRB Tri-glides.... 4.2 oz.

Pan
    Same. Rope setup on the Blackbird. The few feet of AmSteel are probably a most an ounce. Use the JRB straps as tree huggers. The tri-glides allow quick easy shortening if the trees are thin. Sometimes use couple CampNano 23 carabiners. So total weight less BB line can exceed 5.5 oz.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Stock BB strap suspension... I think brandon has it listed at 7.7oz, but that probably doesn't count the biners.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    After much use and reflection and study, we decided that getting the hammock centered within less than 1" between the trees and with the suspension line angle off the tree within 1 degree wasn't really necessary.

TeeDee being the Physicist and Mathematician that he is, just naturally went that route when he developed the method. He likes to measure and get things JUST RIGHT.

Well, after much discussion, he finally realized that having the hammock centered within less than an inch wasn't really necessary and that if it was off by 6" to 12", so what? Well actually, it wasn't all that much discussion

Also, we sat down and examined the table and decided that if the hammock was off center by 6" and the suspension angle at the tree wasn't exactly known within 1 degree, then getting the slack in the suspension rope wasn't really all that critical either.

So given that we went back to the angle table, and decided that if we just used between 2" to 3" of slack, that was good enough.

So, we now just casually pace off the span and tie a bowline on one end for that distance.

Then go to the other tree and pull the suspension line tight so that it is horizontal. Now I don't mean really, ultra-tight using the most force possible. Just pull it tight with little sag. Then back off 2" to 3" and tie another bowline on that end with the end of the bowline loop at the selected spot in the rope.

On both bowlines, use a bight to go up out of the rabbit hole, around the tree and back into the rabbit hole. Makes tying the bowline easy and undoing it easy.

You mentioned that you were repositioning the toggles on the line.

You should never have to reposition the toggles. The only reason to reposition the toggles is to change the length of the ridge line not the position of the ridge line on the suspension line.

Using the above much abbreviated method, you will have the hammock centered as much as you want it and with the suspension line angle at the tree between about 25 degrees and 30 degrees. If you want more than 30 degrees, increase the slack let out to between 3" and 4".

If you want the hammock off center for any reason, just decide which end should be the shorter end and tie the bowlines such that that end has the shortest distance from a toggle to the tree.

So to summarize:

1. pace off the distance, no need to be ultra-precise - we have always done this anyway to make sure that we have picked trees with a reasonable span.
    2. tie a bowline on one end so the end of the bowline loop is one-half the tree span from the middle of the rope,
    3. pull the suspension rope horizontal at the other tree, and
    4. let out 2" to 3" slack.
    5. tie bowline with selected spot at end of bowline loop,
    6. hang hammock from toggles.

We find this easy and quick and we don't have to struggle with the full weight of the hammock and any quilts, over covers or under covers while hanging the suspension line.
    TiredFeet,

Thanks for the very thorough reply. I will give it another go. This sounds way easier. I don't know where I got it in my head that I should center the hammock by moving the hammock toggles, but I did. Anyway, thanks.

-SlowBro

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Stock BB strap suspension... I think brandon has it listed at 7.7oz, but that probably doesn't count the biners.
    Is that total for both ends? I tried to weigh mine yesterday ( without removing it from the hammock) on my lo tech kitchen scales, and I got about 4 1/2 oz counting roughly 3/4 oz of biner.

I weighed the rope on my HH EXP UL and got roughly 2 oz, but I did not have a tree hugger handy to weigh.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Yeah, I think he means both ends, but like I said, I don't have a scale and so I can't weigh mine. I'm using his 'biners, which are pretty dang light.

Were YOU talking about both sides with that 4.5 number? That seems awfully low.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Well, I finally found a suspension scheme I'm happy with --
    total weight 152g <-> 5.4 oz
    - tree straps (3 ea, in 2', 3' & 5'+ lengths) from cheap HF webbing: 67g
    - Amsteel 7/64 suspension lines (9', 11' lengths): 32g
    - 2 descender rings: 25 g
    - 4 aluminum toggles (1/4" x 2-1/2"): 28g

Adding 9' of Amsteel 7/64 for a ridge line brings the total to about 167g <-> 5.9 oz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Yeah, I think he means both ends, but like I said, I don't have a scale and so I can't weigh mine. I'm using his 'biners, which are pretty dang light.

Were YOU talking about both sides with that 4.5 number? That seems awfully low.
    Oh, no- sorry- I weighed one end with one biner. Not WBG's biner, some other one. weighs about 3/4 oz or so.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    12 ft polypro straps, 1 inch and JRB Tri-glides.... 4.2 oz.

Pan
    Pan - is that 4.2 oz for both ends or one end??

Is that 1 12' strap or 2 12' straps?

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Cancel my previous question. I see from your web site that your polypro + triglide set is 4.8 oz.

I was confused by Ed Speer's polypro. He lists both 700 lbs rated and 1800 lbs rated polypro straps. At first I only noticed the 1800 lb rated stuff and 8 oz for 30'. Which doesn't work at all for your straps. But then I finally noticed his 700 lb rated stuff at 6.25 oz for 30'. That's more in line with your figure and you state that your strap set is 700 lbs rated.

Hmm. 700 lb rated. I don't think I would be comfortable with that. I remember Grizz mentioning one time that he switched from the 2.8 mm Spyderline to something over 3 mm because he snapped a suspension using the 2.8 mm rated at 1200 lbs.

But then each to his/her own.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by caboyer View Post
    Well, I finally found a suspension scheme I'm happy with --
    total weight 152g <-> 5.4 oz
    - tree straps (3 ea, in 2', 3' & 5'+ lengths) from cheap HF webbing: 67g
    - Amsteel 7/64 suspension lines (9', 11' lengths): 32g
    - 2 descender rings: 25 g
    - 4 aluminum toggles (1/4" x 2-1/2"): 28g

Adding 9' of Amsteel 7/64 for a ridge line brings the total to about 167g <-> 5.9 oz
    Caboyer,
    Do you happen to have any pics? Wondering how you're using the toggles?
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast