Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb I'm looking to purchase my first hammock. Need opinions

So I live in Florida, and discovered that I'm only an hour away from tons of state parks! That being said, I hate setting up tents and sleeping on the ground. So I've decided to buy a hammock. I've been looking religiously around for the best hammock for the price. So i'll lay out my criteria
    - i'd like to price to be in the mid $100 range (if it's a little more pricey but is well worth the upgrade then I wouldn't mind spending a bit more)
    - Mosquito nets are very important since i'm in bugville USA. I can make my own net if there's a hammock that's so great but doesn't come with one, but i've been reading that some hammocks are so thin mosquitoes can bite right through the hammock fabric
    -I need to be able to lay diagonally, I sleep on my side and stomach, cocooning is ok, as long as I can still have some room.
    -I'm 6'2" 175lbs, so the lengthier the better.
    -Weight really isn't an issue, i'm only planning on doing short hikes.
    Now here are some questions I cannot answer on my own
    -Why are whoopie ties so great, and how do I do it
    -What is a ridgeline? I've tried to watch videos of people explaining it, but they just don't do well at explaining. could someone link a diagram of the parts of a hammock?
    -What material are rain tarps made out of? and where's a good place to pick up that fabric? Rain tarps seem to be wayyy to expensive for what they are
    -Do I need an industrial sewing machine to make my own hammock? If not what type of fabric is superior, where can I get it, and are there any patterns you found to be the best that you wouldn't mind sharing.
    These are the hammocks I have interest in, but there's been so many mixed reviews that I cannot decide between them. if these are all terrible choices please feel free to throw a suggestion in.
    -Eno Double Nest deluxe (deluxe or no deluxe)
    -Kammok Roo
    -Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter
    -Bliss No see um no more

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Welcome to the addiction.

I can't speak to any the hammocks you mentioned but i do have a Warbonnet Blackbirds XLC and guys size I find perfect. Comes with a built in bug net which is also needed badly where I live. The price is well worth it. I think you can save a few bucks if you leave off over cover you likely don't need in Florida.

I can sleep on my side and somewhat my stomach.

Whoopie slings are a lightweight suspension and easily adjustable. At least that's why i like them. I'm on my phone so looking up a how-to video is beyond me right now I'm sure someone else will pitch in. They are very ready to make and use.

A ridge line is a piece of cordage that sets the sag of your hammock. There's a great book by one of the forum members called The Ultimate Hang that explains much these things with drawings.

Rain tattoos are made of many materials. The two dominant ones I know are Silnylon and Cuben Fiber. I use a Superfly by Warbonnet and it is made of Silnylon. There are lots of diy options here the forums.

That's the extent of what I can contribute. I hope I answered some of your questions.

Cheers
    Brady

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Find any post by a member named Shug and strap your self in and start watching his video series, You will not only answer most of your questions but will also be amused

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Since you sound like you want to make your gear, I recommend you order a tablecloth from tablecloths.com and make your own hammock. The price for the crinkle taffeta tablecloths is so reasonable, and you have a variety of colors to choose from. The 132x90 will do you well, and you will have a nice long hammock. You can look at the turtorials on how to make whoopie slings and a ridgeline for your hammock, or you can check out one of the cottage vendors and buy them.
    Good luck to you.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

I'm looking to purchase my first hammock. Need opinions

Welcome to the forum from South Florida!
    If you want to buy a well made hammock that is nice and long (11') at a good price, go to www.wildernesslogics.com
    They also have separate bugnets that completely enclose the hammock. Email or call the owner, Marty, and he will help you select the best options for you.
    If you want to make your own gear, which is fun, the best all around supplier is www.DIYGearSupply.com. The owner, Scott, is a hanger and supplies all the parts you will need for hanging. He also has design guides on his the website for making everything.
    Hope to see you on the trail!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    +1 on Shug's videos and the Warbonnet XLC. It is in your price range and you have the option to choose webbing or whoopie slings. Seriously check out Shug's hammock hangin' how to videos on youtube and you will learn pretty much everything you need or could ever want to know about hanging. Welcome to the forums from rainy Guam.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I found this explained Ridgelines to me when I first got into hammocks….http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html
    It is from Just Jeff's hammock site. A treasure trove of intel.
    Carry forth,
    Shug

Here is a peek at some of my hammocks

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    I'm in East Central Florida near the Space Center. "Florida" is a real estate fraud from the Spanish - should have been named Bug a da! So I know where you're coming from.
    Seriously I started this hammock thing last year with a War Bonnet Blackbird and MamaJama Tarp then bought myself a Ridge runner and Cloudburst tarp for Xmas.
    The language is Tres confusing I know! There is a Ridgeline for most hammocks and also for tarps.
    The ridgeline on the hammock serves to keep the hammock body hanging at approximately the ideal 30* angle by limiting it's spread. The ridge line for the tarp is a support for the tarp ridge and can be one piece ie continuous or not - segmented and over or under the tarp. Woopies are an adaption from either a sailing, climbing, or Arboist's rig. Think Chinese finger handcuff and you'll be able to visualize the concept - the hrder you pull the tighter they are.
    If I'm way wrong somebody will jump in momentarily.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I am 6'1" and have both the HH Explorer Deluxe and the Warbonnet XLC DD and both the Hex tarp from HH, Warbonnet's superfly and Hex made out of silnylon. Looking at your sleeping requirements I would point you to the Warbonnet XLC DD and either their Hex or superfly tarp as FL has a lot of flying insect and the thicker material helps stop the sting. The nice thing about the Warbonnet XLC has a netting that can be removed and I would buy the solid cover when you buy it as you do not know where hanging will take you. Today FL tomorrow the Minn.

By the way I would go with Warbonnet's strap and buckle.
    Last edited by Canoefor2; 02-27-2014 at 08:13.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness

Florida has just started to allow hammocks to be used in its state parks last year, so you should check with the rangers to find out which site(s) they will allow you to hang at. Also be sure and use tree traps.

There are several post on this subject.

Ditto on watching Shugs videos, very funny and you might even learn something about hammocks

I would recommend a Warebonnet BB or XLC, or one of the Pappa Smurf Dream Hammocks. A bit more than you wanted to spend but very good hammocks.My wife (Terminator) and I use BB's and the next hammock I want to get will be from Pappa Smurf.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast