Tarp
    1.1 DIY CatCut Hex
    Insulation
    DIY 4-season down
    Suspension
    Dutch!

Climashield Darts?

Hello!

I am about to make a 5.0 Climashield Apex UQ. I have previously made IX UQ as per Scotts instructions at DIY Gear Supply. I have read the KAQ tutorial, which was fantastic to see how to manage Climashield, I think it will work like the insulation he describes.

My question is, should I use the darts on the head and foot ends like the IX quilt, instead of a taper? That is the method I would prefer, because I am going to be doing these quilts with 6th graders, 13 of them I believe the dart method is easier, and neccessary to insure a tight fit. But what I am worried about is that the Climashield will bulge too much, even if I cut out the material for the darts and sew it together by hand, I don't know if it will be flat enough.

Anyone tried this? According to the pictures of the KAQ quilt

https://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq

it appears to bulge right where the darts are on the long sides.

How have you others solved this problem?
    Last edited by Swede2378; 02-28-2014 at 08:17.
    My Swedish/English YouTube channel:

HamelinHammocks

Our Facebook page:
    @hamelinhammocks

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Swede2378 View Post
    ...I am going to be doing these quilts with 6th graders, 13 of them...
    I was going to suggest sewing the dart/pleat and then cutting the excess away with large extremely sharp huge deadly shears... until I saw "6th graders" and remembered how clumsy I was back then.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    Scissors are perfectly safe, till you try to run with them....

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by e_2 View Post
    I was going to suggest sewing the dart/pleat and then cutting the excess away with large extremely sharp huge deadly shears... until I saw "6th graders" and remembered how clumsy I was back then.
    That's the way I did a primaloft UQ a couple of years ago and it worked well.

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    I can almost hear it now... "I'm sure there are bandaids around here somewhere"

Hammock
    HamelinHammock
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY CatCut Hex
    Insulation
    DIY 4-season down
    Suspension
    Dutch!
    So, I got my delivery from DIY Gear Supply with 14 hammocks, underquilts and tarps worth of materials!

Now, I am just about to get started on the first demonstration model of the underquilt, just want to run a final question to all my friends on HF:

I have read that many have done a CS UQ without any kind of darts, but haven't seen how well the fit is. I have used Scotts design from DIY Gear Supply for four IX UQs, I was thinking of putting darts on all three layers, do I even need them? I have read that CS lofts much better than IX, which really doesn't loft att all, hence the darts. If I just sew this bad boy straight, won't the CS loft well enough without darts? I am using 1.1 ripstop, I imagine the darts will just make the outer layer wrap around the CS better, but with 14 quilts and sixth graders, is it really worth the trouble? I plan on doing the inside out method to give me nice seams at the edges, I am mostly looking for input about what shape the final product will have with the darts in it, will it make the UQ "rounder", as in more form-fitting?

A bit of an inexact question, just a little leery before I make a model for my students to follow, you know who they will blame if it doesn't sit tight. I am planning on using Dutch's ridgeline quilt hangers so I won't be using draft collars, have had great experiences with these hooks.
    My Swedish/English YouTube channel:

HamelinHammocks

Our Facebook page:
    @hamelinhammocks

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Glad you asked the question. It's clear to me what you are asking, maybe because I have the same question. I'll soon make a CS UQ for my son (6'-3" tall) and wondering whether or not to follow the IX pattern on DIYGear website.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swede2378 View Post
    I was thinking of putting darts on all three layers, do I even need them?
    With insultex, as you said, there's really no loft, so the darts are quite helpful for getting that hammock curve fit. For Climashield, the darts will help form to the hammock a little - but because Climashield is such a nice lofted insulation I do not think it is necessary. That said, the ultimate in loft insulation - DOWN - we see most gear makers using darts.

I've made a Climashield underquilt and did not use darts and it works great. I think you'll be fine without them, it's a lot of extra work - especially for that many quilts. But if the kids are up for the challenge (not sure how much of it they're doing) then go for it - it can only help.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Thanks for your input, Scott.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon SilHex
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Images
    IMO with Down you want darts, all the manufacturers working with down use them.
    However, with Climashield (which I am a huge fan of), I personally don't think you would gain anything by adding them. Look at some of the top manufacturers making some very durable, high performing products using Climashield and they don't do the darts. Kifaru just cuts to size and sews on the sides. When I spoke to them on how they make the wide/long zero degree Slick bag I have and the Doobie I just got, they are completely confident in the Climashield product being a continuous filament and just sewing around the perimeter of the product. That means there is no stiching or baffles in the middle of your project. If you think about it, when you have stiching from one side to the other, you create an area (although it may be small), where you have a lower insulation area. I've depended on both down and Climashield and they both have their pro's and con's, but from a sewing project standpoint, you will LOVE working with Climashield compared to down.

I will mention that Kifaru uses Combat Climashield, which is a slightly different product than Climashield APEX
    http://store.kifaru.net/slick-bag-p73.aspx (I have the zero degree wide and long slick bag, 3 layers of combat climashield)
    http://store.kifaru.net/woobie-p72.aspx (I have the doobie, which is 60"x93" and 2 layers of combat climashield, though I fold in half for 4 layers ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast