Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH

WTB Hiking Staff

Hi,

I'm new to HF and hammock camping in general. I'm recovering from spinal surgery and have a bad leg with a limp. I currently use a closet rod as a hiking staff but am hoping someone has a used collapsable staff they aren't using any longer.

I watch eBay but those go for more than I can afford - so I'm hoping someone has a deal gathering dust in their closet.

I'd like something about 54" extended (or longer?) and can collapse down to fit my backpack straps when not needed.

Thanks for your consideration.

I live in PA and can do PayPal.
    Last edited by SonOfMartin; 02-28-2014 at 12:09.

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    There are tons of cheap telescopic walking sticks available on ebay, just like
    This one

Or, Walmart has a collapsible for less than $20. Might be cheaper than purchase and mailing.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The other question is whether you want a staff or 2 poles. They might give you better support. It depends what you need. If you want low cost poles I would check places that sell used ski equipment as well as the Walmart poles. pop the baskets off and you are in business.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH
    I've looked at the WalMart poles and they don't support my weight. They collapse when I lean on them. I need to be able to put my weight on the pole when crossing uneven terrain or a creek. Part of my new medically induced life.

I will look at the ski pole idea - those long cross country skis may be the ticket - and with ski season ending I just might snag what I'm looking for.

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfMartin View Post
    ...I will look at the ski pole idea - those long cross country skis may be the ticket - and with ski season ending I just might snag what I'm looking for.
    If I may - depending on your height, you could look into golf drivers. The woods are long enough for me with their heads cut off and a replacement hiking tip JB-welded in place. Tips are a few bucks online and clubs are $1 at my local Goodwill.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfMartin View Post
    I've looked at the WalMart poles and they don't support my weight. They collapse when I lean on them. I need to be able to put my weight on the pole when crossing uneven terrain or a creek. Part of my new medically induced life.
    I bought a pair of the Walmart poles for my grandson and had the same slipping problem. In looking at the connectors the screws were not tight on the clamps. Once I tightened them up they worked great.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    My WW poles work very well, but I'm not the biggest of hikers. Really don't care much for their products or practices in general, but sort of glad I didn't spend for the larger points at this point.

I still have lots of places to spend $$
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH
    Great ideas - never thought of a golf driver and JB Weld(ing) in a carbide tip.

I'll go back to WW and check on their poles and see if I can tighten up the screw and then lean on it.

Really looking for a collapsible type pole that I can keep in my backpack and use when needed - but that golf shaft idea may be just the ticket - can also use to prod spider webs and coax snakes along their merry way...

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    The ones I bought for 20 bucks do have a shock system. Once you get or find a set with tight screws, make sure it's not the spring shock absorber your feeling. The shafts are graduated so you will be able to see for sure if one or the other are not locking.

Good luck. They really make a difference for my knees.

There are some neat DIY's on walking sticks. I'm sure there's one or two here in the donating section. and Youtube should have some as well. My problem with a staff, is tendency to want all the bells and whistles, secret storage compartments, that of course have to be filled with everything from survival gear to snacks. Compass, whistle, light, swordcane.

I'd probably need all of that, and I'm already starting to put everything on a scale. The weight of something like that would make me have to go lay down for a bit.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast