Callin FishinFinn>Need some Hammock Doctorin'

Well,
    My "throw away hammock" arrived from Thailand, and I should have followed you guys with the suggestion of buying the Skeeter Beeter. What can I say?
    It does have two layers of fabric on the bottom, but it is NOT a sleeve, as the seller claimed, so I could slip in a pad.
    Now I should use the blue nautical rope, that someone suggested I buy, and those rings to rig up a decent hanging system on this POS.
    It has some sawed off aluminum poles to stretch out the mosquito netting, and I am wondering on using those, or following someone else's suggestions
    on buying two Walmart arrows and sawing those off instead. I just don't want any hassles with international check in when I fly to Dallas>Belize next Monday.
    Lyndon
    Salt Lake City

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon View Post
    Well,
    My "throw away hammock" arrived from Thailand, and I should have followed you guys with the suggestion of buying the Skeeter Beeter. What can I say?
    It does have two layers of fabric on the bottom, but it is NOT a sleeve, as the seller claimed, so I could slip in a pad.
    Now I should use the blue nautical rope, that someone suggested I buy, and those rings to rig up a decent hanging system on this POS.
    It has some sawed off aluminum poles to stretch out the mosquito netting, and I am wondering on using those, or following someone else's suggestions
    on buying two Walmart arrows and sawing those off instead. I just don't want any hassles with international check in when I fly to Dallas>Belize next Monday.
    Lyndon
    Salt Lake City
    I wouldn't worry about bringing the "net stretchers" with you on your flight. I'm sure you can find something to use in Belize, like a stick, to stretch out the mosquito netting.

The two layers are sewn together, completely, all the way around? I think that sounds like the "new" Claytor, but I thought they went back to the leaving the opening open for the pad? I know there is a thread here somewhere about Claytor changing the way the bottoms were sewn, and modifying them so you can use them with a pad. Kind of useless to have a double bottom, and no way to slip a pad between the layers.

Agreed about useless, unless this nylon is so thin that using the double layer is protection against bites.
    Yup, I'll need to get some light line to make a ridgeline tomorrow. Any good links in the Claytor thread on that?
    I'll follow your suggestion about not including the aluminum spreader bars.
    Make no mistake, FishinFinn, this is NOT a Claytor, not even close in quality.
    But it was dirt cheap as well. I think the tarp may be the best part of it.

I'll try to post up some photos tomorrow in the daylight.
    Lyndon
    On a side note, has anybody used the Grand Trunk's silk sleep sacks? And what is the quality of the Alps Mountaineering closed cell foam
    pads vs. the basic level ones? I can't find any reviews anywhere on it.
    Last edited by Lyndon; 06-05-2009 at 21:46. Reason: Adding two questions

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

That was very interesting reading, FishinFinn.
    I noticed that one person wrote, "if I had known there was no sleeve for the pad, I would have bought the Skeeter Beeter"
    Yup.
    I'm heading out tomorrow to the local camping store for line. How long should I get for the ridgeline?
    And on that real long webstrap that is looped on the ends. Where do I cut it?
    Don't I need to sew a second loop, or do a thing with a carbiner?
    Lyndon

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon View Post
    Lyndon
    Salt Lake City
    I fly a lot. In my experience the TSA people are trained to look for certain things, and sawed off aluminum poles (or arrows w/o tips) aren't on their list of things to check out.

I've carried hiking poles with a pretty sharp tip through airport security several times.

Grizz

Thanks, Grizz. I'll keep that in mind.
    Lyndon

• + New Posts