Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt

Peapod

Hi all,
    Recently returned from a 3 day trip using my new peapod. It performed perfectly, keeping me warm, too warm infact. Coupled with my homemade bugnet, I had to vent the peapod to my waist.

When the temp dropped in the early hours, I just pulled the sides of the peapod together, sealing the velcro. I didn't feel the need for a top quilt at all.

The odd thing is I don't see much being written about the peapod. To me, having a huge lofty sleepingbag round the hammock seems like the easiest, simplest way to stay warm. Why has it not caught on?
    People are continuing to search for new, slightly complex ways to stay warm, which I think is great. The more innovation, the better. But it seems to me that the simplest answer is already here.
    Any thoughts on why the peapod isn't more popular?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    You are correct in your observation of the PeaPod. It is a wonderful and highly useful piece of gear that can be adapted to a wide range of conditions. I am a happy user of one, and find it to be a versatile piece of gear.

It's weight/bulk is probably the biggest drawback for most, though. It's hard to justify carrying it in conditions where it would be likely overkill in warmth.

But for known cold conditions...I agree. It's a fantastic choice.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    You are correct in your observation of the PeaPod. It is a wonderful and highly useful piece of gear that can be adapted to a wide range of conditions. I am a happy user of one, and find it to be a versatile piece of gear.

It's weight/bulk is probably the biggest drawback for most, though. It's hard to justify carrying it in conditions where it would be likely overkill in warmth.

But for known cold conditions...I agree. It's a fantastic choice.
    What A.S. said! I have owned and used several different approaches to keeping warm, including the PeaPod. I also consider it right at the top of the heap as for sheer efficiency at keeping warm, though there are def several dif approaches that can also do the job very well. So it comes down to a set of pros and cons among the different approaches.

As to why seldom used, first of all, the PeaPod will only work with certain hammocks. A year or two back, the Hennessys were the most popular by a long shot, and the pods were a no go with those. At least until 2Q's zipper mods became available. And it is useless with the Bridge hammocks.

In addition, when used with hammocks it does work with, it works better with some hammocks than others, IMO. Though it can be made to work satisfactorily with most top loading hammocks, at least those with no nets or where you can get the net mostly out of the way.

I think perceived price- way expensive- is also a factor, and perceived weight. At first glance, it seems to be expensive and pretty heavy compared to an equally warm under quilt. But, what is often not considered with this is that the pod includes a top quilt, and in many ways actually functions as a sort of roomy mummy bag. Not exactly and not with all hammocks, because some hammocks will cause the top to be lifted up, causing a gap, which will allow heat to escape out of any breathing hole. So it will not be as warm on top as on bottom, with most hammocks, not by itself. But, as you know, it is still pretty warm even on top even used all by itself, and I think people forget this when looking at the price. If you add any kind of top quilt to this, even the lightest summer TQ, you are looking at a serious cold fighting machine. In fact, using ONLY some puffy clothing and a narrow hammock has got me through the mid 20s just fine. The puffy clothing allowed me to "seal" off around the neck so that all my warm air diod not escape out of the breathing hole.

The only other thing I can think of would apply more to people who are using one, rather than some one trying to decide on a pod vs other approaches. Compared to a separate top quilt/under quilt, if you have the pod mostly closed up, it is therefore not "open", IOW it does not feel open and roomy, but is a bit tight and closed in by comparison. Especially for the bigger guys. Some, especially the claustrophobic, might not like that.

OTOH, for those who don't suffer from that so much, the very fact that your entire face and head are covered or mostly covered, plus the edges of the hammock along the full length are covered, plus the fact that you can add most anything underneath ( clothing, pads, space blankets, dry leaves, all of the above) makes it awful easy to keep warm at whatever temp.

Great piece of gear, unless your haammock won't work with it.

• + New Posts