Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ / SS TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images

Gearing up for the cold...

For a new person such as myself, getting ready to embrace winter’s sometimes frigid weather can be a real challenge. A challenge made easier by being a member of Hammock Forums. Hammock Forums not only provides mountains of researchable material but also allows direct interaction with gear manufacturers/vendors that are not only active in the field but also active on this site.

To me going through the posts is a lot of fun. Especially when I find myself laughing at jokes and antics probably forgotten about by the tellers. However, I got to the point where I was finding more and more questions than answers. During my search, I read a lot of really good things about Jacks ‘R’ Better (JRB). So I reached out to Peter_Pan and Smee in the hopes they could help me. In less than half a day, I had heard back from the Jacks and was even able to get recommendations based on my individual needs.

I am very happy with the Jacks’ recommendations and look forward to discussing my purchase experiences in a later thread. Yet, as I looked through the “Newbie Hammock Setups” thread, I really didn’t see much about cold weather newbie setups. So I am turning you, the helpful forum members, for your recommendations. I am sure those who will follow will be appreciative.

Hammock
    GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Watty View Post
    Hello everyone, I really enjoyed reading everyones ideas on noob set ups. I was just wondering how many people have tried this tarp http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=254694
    and now good it is. i was also thinking about buying a kelty noah 12x12 http://www.trailspace.com/gear/kelty/noahs-tarp-12/ but it is a bit more expensive. Anyways any input would be great. Thank you. Watty
    I have a Noah 12x12 and love it. I like having a little more coverage just in case. Nice and strong, not too heavy.
    Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArsonHammockHanger

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 41vi4 View Post
    I am very happy with the Jacks’ recommendations and look forward to discussing my purchase experiences in a later thread. Yet, as I looked through the “Newbie Hammock Setups” thread, I really didn’t see much about cold weather newbie setups. So I am turning you, the helpful forum members, for your recommendations. I am sure those who will follow will be appreciative.
    We need specifics to answer a loaded question like that.
    The reason you don't see many "Newbie set-ups" for cold weather is because it's one brave newb that decides to learn to hang during the winter. Think of it as advanced training. Once the initial learning curve has flattened is when most new hangers venture into the world of snow and ice. It's a challenge to be sure.

Very doubtful the Jacks told you anything that would steer you wrong. I have yet to be unhappy with any of my JRB quilts.

How cold do you want to camp? What's the humidity and wind like where you want to camp? Is your credit card maxed-out yet?
    Trust nobody!

Just want to say thanks for starting this thread, up until last night I didn't know such a community existed.

This thread kinda pushed me in the right direction as I'm planning a longer AT hike. I'm definitely taking a hammock over a tent now!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ / SS TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images

Specifics...Specifics...Specifics...

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    We need specifics to answer a loaded question like that.
    I prefer to think of the question as overstuffed.

How cold do you want to camp? What's the humidity and wind like where you want to camp?
    Considering I am out and about at least one weekend a month, I might as well be in comfort. I will be typically hanging in New Jersey but occasionally have trips as far north as lower New York, west as far as Pittsburg, and south as far as northern Virginia.

I would have to say average cold temperatures range between 20 and 25 degrees with lows very rarely getting down to single digits. Hard to say about the wind but usually I will hanging in areas more sheltered by trees than not. Around here recently, it is usually moderate to high humidity.

Think of it as advanced training.
    I agree that this is more of an advanced approach. Perhaps it would have been better in a new thread but at least newbies can find it here.

Is your credit card maxed-out yet?
    I keep very busy at work trying to prevent that from happening... Through experience I have learned it is better to develop a sustainable system rather than purchasing the cheapest or most trendy stuff.

Yet, two words...

New Gear

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    A Warbonnet Blackbird hammock , http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.net/blackbird_h.htm a Speer winter tarp http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm , and the warmest Jacks are Better under quilt http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Quilt%20...on%20Chart.htm that I need or can afford.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    ENO Ember and Bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies strap
    I've found that 3 season camping in a hammock can be much harder to accommodate than some originally hope. I have never been able to use the blue pads with much comfort. What you don't pay for in dollars you pay for in lost vacation sleep. If you're on a budget, hey, you do what you can with what you've got. But by my accounting the cheaper way to go is to test out hammocking in the summer. If you like it and after you're committed grit your teeth and get an underquilt. No point in wasting an entire season just because you want to fiddle around with "cheaper" options.

The following setup has done well by me. For full on winter camping I plan to switch up to an enclosed shelter around the hammock, this will have to be diy because no such thing exists. Ideal concept. The typical mantra though is just to layer on the under/over quilting/padding to get to the temp rating you need.

The ENO Ember is a cheap quilt by underquilt standards. You can find it easiest using google product search. I found it for under $100!

Eagles Nest Outfitters Ember Underquilt $99.79

The mosquito net I use is a cocoon version. I favor this type because the one time I used an over net the little suckers bit me THROUGH the hammock material! Using the cocoon I can place a few separators at the foot and head, these can be tent poles or sticks I find wherever (properly rounded on the ends of course) and keep the netting away from the hammock just enough that this isn't a problem anymore.

Hammock Bliss No-See-Um/Mosquito Net Cocoon $34.99

Unless you wanna be flat on a 'bridge hammock' I think hammock bliss is the way to go. Cheap, light, and comfortable.

Hammock Bliss Single Hammock $39.99

Cheap, fairly light, big. It's decent coverage for 3 season.

Guide Gear® Tarp. $29.97

Whoopies are not incredibly tough to construct, and though amsteel is nice, it's often overkill, any single braid cordage of appropriate strength for your needs will do.

Ratchet strap webbing/diy whoopies $9.00

TTL: $213.74
    Shipping: $40.00
    Grand: $253.74

This is a cheap summer setup to get you started/interested. Here in Oklahoma the mosquito net is essential. Again, cocoon style is my preference because you can rig it so that it stays away from your hammock and you and the little buggers can't get you through the net. Like I said before, I think noobs should try out hammocking cheap before they decide to jump into 3 season. Quilting is expensive by any standard. Start out with a 10 dollar hammock, if it is sleepworthy for a backyard nap invest in the rest of the summer pack and go camping.

8 ft. x 10 ft. Ripstop Woven Polyethylene Tarp $5.49

Kalisto - Travel Hammock $10.00

Hammock Bliss No-See-Um/Mosquito Net Cocoon $34.99

Ratchet strap webbing $9.00

TTL: $59.48
    Shipping: $20.00
    Grand: $70.00

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images

My first set up

well I've sacrificed a lot but this is my first and dream set up... I have Redbeard to thank for the Top quilt, Quoddy to thank for the underquilt and Brandon for this awesome hammock...

Warbonnet Blackbird dbl 1.7 - $175.00
    OES Maccat Deluxe all black - $115.00
    Warbonnet Yeti 3 Season - $205.00
    Jacks R Better Cyclist Quilt - $155.00
    Camp Nano Biners for straps - $19.00
    MSR Groundhog Stakes x 4 - $8.00
    JRB Self tensioners - came with tarp
    Total - $677.00

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    9x4 Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock - $20
    Polyethylene Tarp - 12 x 9 - $7.50
    4' Strapworks Simple Sling 1" Polyester Webbing - $7
    6' DIY Whoopie Slings - $2.40
    Closed-cell foam pad, cut in half - $6

TOTAL: $42.90*

*Does not include shipping costs

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Here was my first setup many moons ago

Byer Mosquito Traveller $40
    Blue Poly Tarp 10x8 $8
    Nylon Line $6 for 100 feet
    CCF Pad WallyWorld $6
    Truck window sun screen $10
    Milspec Mini Comp. sleeping bag $25

Total $95

This is another setup i had

HH Expedition Asym $120
    CCF pad $6
    JRB Hudson river $250

Added a Super Shelter down the line $140

$376 without the SS
    $516 with the SS

my Setup i run now 2+ years later

WB Traveler Dbl 1.7 $75
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp $120
    JRB Hudson River $250
    J-Pad $0
    Crowsnest $185 (on the way )
    Whoopie Slings & webbing $25
    STL for tarp $12
    Camp Pillow $6

Total is $673
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast