Tablecloth DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ- 32F
    Suspension
    m'spike hitch, web

cheap netted hammock

Get the Mosquito Free Hammock bliss or the noseeum hammock bliss. They are a full 10' long and 60" wide. Been using one for two years and I weigh 250 when I started. No worries. You used to be able to find them for about $50.00-60.00.

Good Luck and be one that enjoys the great enthusiams

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

Finished Orders for Now

I just finished ordering the last pieces of my newby set up. Will switch out the steel s-hooks on the new Grand Trunk Ultralight with two Ti carabiners from REI but will swap ends: the carabiners will attach to the Hammock Bliss straps at the tree while the loop end of the suspension from Whoopieslings.com will attach to the hammock with a lark's head. My costs were approx. $85.

My tarp system will have to wait because I am particular and have not quite found what I want. Will use what I have for now.

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    wow thats a lot to take in as a noob. All good info, thanks much.

now to start plotting the initial trial run, Just wish i had a second tree in my backyard to try some out before hitting the trail.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I wish I would have found this forum before I purchased.
    I may be lost but I am making great time.

“It was so cold that If the thermometer had been an inch longer, we'd have frozen to death.” ~ Mark Twain

Hammock
    Danger bird
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    Incubator /Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    That's what I'm talking about dadman

Fantasizing about my first rig

Hey all. I got bit by the hanging bug on a recent 4-day backpacking trip where one of my friends brought his new hammock. He let me have a lay in it one night and I immediately knew I had to have one of my own. I do NOT sleep well on the ground.

So I spent the last week devouring any and all hammock-related knowledge I could find in the pursuit of putting together my first rig. I've watched Shug's videos, WBG's videos, Grizz's videos and have read tons of threads on this fine forum.

Now after all that exhaustive research I've put together a list of gear that I think will make for a pretty sweet 3-season rig. My goals for this rig were for it to be: reasonably light, easy and quick to set up and take down, adjustable, and fairly economical.

Let me know if you think I've met my goals and if I've forgotten anything essential. Thanks!

Click here to go to the Google Docs file.

FYI: the 1.75mm Zing-It and shock cord would be for making a set of self-tensioning tarp guy lines.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Widerness Logics
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Wow! I thought I did my homework!

Hammock
    homemade
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    homemade UQ
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images
    oops wrong thread
    Last edited by kiwi; 10-12-2012 at 19:09.

Since this began with a challenge...I'd like to perpetuate one. I just missed buying a Guide Gear tarp last year, as they ran out of them late-season. I was pleased to see the excitement here when the news came out that they were back in stock! I immediately went to SG and ordered 2 of them...and then came back here and read the REST of the 80+ reports about the incorrect dimensions, how different they were from the original white ones, etc. etc. etc. I went back to the SG site and wrote them a note that read something like "you guyz are getting KILLED on HF and if what they are saying is accurate (I posted a link) then cancel my order. They did cancel my order. I followed up with a few more E-mails about how they were STILL getting killed here for their inaccurate sizing statements, non-waterprooof qualities, etc.

I'd still like to see them offer the original tarp again...even if they had to bump the price up a little. I wrote them about a week or so back after I saw they are now sold out of their current 2012 tarps and encouraged them to go BACK to their white tarp quality. I know there are any number of other options out there, but being able to start out with a decent tarp at an affordable price will go a long way toward getting a newbie into a decent set-up. I'd like to encourage you to also shoot them a note and let them know that there is a VERY ACTIVE bunch of people (AND outspoken) here on HF that would really like to see them bring their original tarp back again. Here's a link to their contact page: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/m....aspx#email_us

JMHO,
    4 DOG

On the question (an responses)on the Byer Moskito...I've owned and slept in one for about 6 yrs. Now...I don't know what I don't know, but I've sure had some great nights sleep in it. In fact I bought a second one and introduced our S.I.L. to Hammocking and he thought it was great as well. At under $40 online it's hard to beat, IMHO. Don't want the netting, flip it over and lay on the other side without it. I'm around 170 lbs. so maybe I don't stress the individual paracords too much? All I know is it works for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast