Hammock
    Byer mosketo traveler
    Tarp
    Wal-lys 5$ tarp
    Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    Micro hanging kit
    I am going to Buy a Byer of mane Mosketo Traveler.... i am going to try it out this weekend, it will be my first time sleeping in a hamock i will post how i like it and kinda a review... Keep Hnging
    Hang'in Scout

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Dream Set-up

My dream set-up. Clark Jungle Hammock NX 150 w/o tarp. 329.00
    HammockGear.com Cuben 4 season tarp. 309.00
    Whoopie Slings 14.95
    6 Aluminum stakes 14.95

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/nx250/index.php
    http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/

Startout with a HH Scout-zip, Get the Hex tarp!

Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    My set up is great for me
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 double adjustable webbing strap $175.00 http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php

Kelty Noah's 9 Tarp $60.00
    http://www.kelty.com/p-518-noahs-tar...tents-shelters

te-wa "freeze" three season Under Quilt $190.00
    http://tewaunderquilts.webs.com/apps...s/show/1216221

Total: $425.00

Throw in some clips and line, some cheap padding for summer and I'm around $500. It adds up quickly but buying quality pays off in the long run.
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Te-Wa Under Quilt Length

Quote Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
    My set up is great for me
    te-wa "freeze" three season Under Quilt $190.00
    http://tewaunderquilts.webs.com/apps...s/show/1216221
    Do your feet or head get cold using the te-wa under quilt? Or do you feel that it provides enough coverage? It looks like my head would probably stick too far out...

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelMalone View Post
    Do your feet or head get cold using the te-wa under quilt? Or do you feel that it provides enough coverage? It looks like my head would probably stick too far out...
    I obviously can't speak for MotoBoss, but I use a Te-Wa UQ and an inflatable pillow for my head and a short section of foam pad for my feet. Warm as toast into the upper 20's with that setup. The 2/3 and 3/4 UQ's seem to fit me better than the full length ones. Probably fewer air gaps underneath.
    -Mark
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

This is the type of hammock I have, I dig it! Very comfy and light. The worst bit is the netting, however I tie it up it just seems to flop down, so I modded it with "boneing", the type of plastic ladies sew into corsets, or dresses of similar structure. Its light and flexible and neatly fits in the pockets on the inside of the netting. Pretty quick fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Hang'inScout View Post
    I am going to Buy a Byer of mane Mosketo Traveler.... i am going to try it out this weekend, it will be my first time sleeping in a hamock i will post how i like it and kinda a review... Keep Hnging
    Hang'in Scout
    This is the type of hammock I have, I dig it! Very comfy and light. The worst bit is the netting, however I tie it up it just seems to flop down, so I modded it with "boneing", the type of plastic ladies sew into corsets, or dresses of similar structure. Its light and flexible and neatly fits in the pockets on the inside of the netting. Pretty quick fix.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great info and suggestions in this thread. Thanks to all that have contributed.

Living in west Texas, I suspect the majority of my hanging will be in the south. As such, I have come to the conclusion that I need to get a quality hammock and tarp as a good starting point and also from a cost perspective.

From there, I am thinking that I need to first start with a ccf pad and move up to an under quilt if need be, but it seems to be about half and half as to the people who like a pad versus an under quilt.

I appreciate that that I could get a less expensive hammock and tarp to begin with, but I feel that I might as well go with a Hennessy or Warbonnet from the beginning and not have to worry about an upgrade in that area any time soon. And if it turns out that I hate hangin' it appears that I could unload either of those here pretty easily at a fair price.

Same goes for the tarp, for the most part. I see the tarp as a multi-function item that, truth be known, would be the one item out of the four groups that I mentioned that I would view as a 'must have' in a survival situation.

I am just having a hard time the the pad versus under quilt and top quilt part of all this as I want to get the most useful items for where I live and the types of climates I expect to be hangin' in the most.

Sorry if I rambled on too much and wasn't specific enough. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can organize my thoughts a bit better.

Thanks!

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I appreciate that that I could get a less expensive hammock and tarp to begin with, but I feel that I might as well go with a Hennessy or Warbonnet from the beginning and not have to worry about an upgrade in that area any time soon. And if it turns out that I hate hangin' it appears that I could unload either of those here pretty easily at a fair price.
    I'm of that mind also. Mosquitos and gnats are a problem here in MN, rain is never warm, and a fall trip to BWCAW can have surprise snow and ice.

So the question is what is the least risky hammock (in terms of comfort) and resale value.

I'm anxious to hear opinions from experienced users about this.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I won't claim to be 'experienced'...but here's my thought.

You won't go wrong with most of the "higher end" hammocks you see people use here. Clark's sound great, many people LOVE their WBBB's, and I've got NO complaints at all with my HH Explorer Deluxe.

My suggestion would be to go with any of those hammocks...given the built in bug netting on all of them, it's a HUGE bonus against the skeeters.

Get a larger tarp if you're worried about storms/snow.

Make sure that you get decent a insulation system...TOP AND BOTTOM.

My rig has worked great for me in 90 degree weather this summer, and in 30 degree weather this past spring.

HH Hex tarp, HH Explorer Deluxe hammock, and I use the HHSS undercover and a good sleeping bag. Slept like a baby every time out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast