$20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    Quote Originally Posted by rick417 View Post
    I have been wrestling with bulk issues myself. I want to pack my gear with my bicycle. ...
    I too like to put my hammock kit on a bicycle. (Are you riding long distances like 50+ miles per day?) I'm still working on the bulk problem (only have a few campouts under my belt). I've got a full size rear rack, and nicely sized panniers. I will still end up rolling something up within my cheap blue tarp and strapping on top of the rear rack. It will especially be a challenge as winter comes with the bulk of extra insulation, thicker clothes, etc. If I get it dialed in I'll try to reply again to this post with a picture

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    The Ultimate Budget Setup: Under $50

Oooh I think I found the right place for this post (apologize for the length, I'm a newbie)

I think I like my “basic” setup… I’m trying to demonstrate “thrifty” to my 11yo & his scout troop:
    $10 9x12 cheap blue/green tarp, laid diagonally & prussic-ed to a cheap 550 cord ridgeline, tied to stakes or small trees w misc cord
    $20 “Golden Eagle” double hammock
    Structural ridge line=cheap 550 cord
    $5 harbor freight straps, cut off buckle, use beckett hitch aka “slippery sheet bend” (so no hardware)
    Bug net – long story (a modified "cot" net...)
    Old small 2’x2’ tent fly tied into a mini-hammock gear shelf attached to SRL (so NOT under the hammock)
    Old 50F (I think) sleeping bag, small camping pillow

Weight is not that important, as most of my camping is NOT of the “carry everything on your back” variety.

Any comments or questions about the “basic” setup? Any suggestion for the next $20, or maybe $40 spend?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGravity View Post
    I too like to put my hammock kit on a bicycle. (Are you riding long distances like 50+ miles per day?) I'm still working on the bulk problem (only have a few campouts under my belt). I've got a full size rear rack, and nicely sized panniers. I will still end up rolling something up within my cheap blue tarp and strapping on top of the rear rack. It will especially be a challenge as winter comes with the bulk of extra insulation, thicker clothes, etc. If I get it dialed in I'll try to reply again to this post with a picture
    No. Unfortunately I had to put this all on the back burner due to relocating for a new job. I doubt I will ever get up to that kind of mileage. My initial goal before job changes took over was 20-30 miles per day. I have added proper underquilts and lighter, less bulky gear since my post, though. I hope to get back into it soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGravity View Post
    Structural ridge line=cheap 550 cord
    paracord has more stretch than you want for a structural ridge line, or for a tarp

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    Quote Originally Posted by rick417 View Post
    ... My initial goal before job changes took over was 20-30 miles per day...
    I've done RAGBRAI (75ish miles per day, July, paved roads, Iowa) with a tent on top of my rack. 15+ years ago though!
    But lately, it's bike anywhere from 100 feet to a mile from a van to the troop's campsites, and unload half the stuff.
    So I too hope to work up my distance. Good luck.

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    paracord has more stretch than you want for a structural ridge line, or for a tarp
    Thanks, different SRL cordage is high on my "what's next" mental list, but I hadn't thought about stretch on the tarp ridgeline.
    I just found a good discussion here: What-kind-of-cord-is-your-tarp-ridgeline

My feeling is if you can afford to spend $400 as opposed to $100 you are better of and here's why.

If you spend $100 on cheap stuff and like the experience you will want to upgrade almost instantly and good luck getting your money back selling the lower end stuff. If you spend $400 and don't like it then you can probably recoup at least $300 selling the good stuff on here.

So the worst case in both scenarios is you are out $100 if you decide this is not for you. On the upside however, if you spend the $400 up front then you should be able to enjoy your set up for years to come. Not to mention, you will not walk away saying "maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I was warm, comfortable and dry when I first tried it".

$400 (aprox) -> DH Darien, HG Incubator Econn, WB Superfly (with your own sleeping bag)

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    Too hot in FL
    Suspension
    DIY dyneema D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer96815 View Post
    My feeling is if you can afford to spend $400 as opposed to $100 you are better of and here's why.

If you spend $100 on cheap stuff and like the experience you will want to upgrade almost instantly and good luck getting your money back selling the lower end stuff. If you spend $400 and don't like it then you can probably recoup at least $300 selling the good stuff on here.

So the worst case in both scenarios is you are out $100 if you decide this is not for you. On the upside however, if you spend the $400 up front then you should be able to enjoy your set up for years to come. Not to mention, you will not walk away saying "maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I was warm, comfortable and dry when I first tried it".

$400 (aprox) -> DH Darien, HG Incubator Econn, WB Superfly (with your own sleeping bag)
    I strongly agree with this, it’s exsctly what happened to me. Within a month of buying cheap stuff I started upgrading immediately. Now my cheap stuff is my “beater” gear that I use when I don’t want to mess up my good stuff, or I let other people use it when we’re hanging out in the back yard drinking beer. I could have saved prob 200$ if I would have just done some research and was willing to spend the extra money.

It’s even more true now, where you can buy things separately in stages from cottage vendors ie: a chameleon, then the bugnet/top cover, then a better suspension, then a sidecar, etc.

• + New Posts
  • Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast