Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplenewton View Post
    You can lie flat In a basic DIY gathered end hammock sure it doesn't have the footbox of a blackbird but if you get 10' of 60" wide ripstop when you get on the right diagonal with the right hang its heavenly.
    not to be a pill but 10' unfinished length is a little short for me. My home sleeper has a finished fabric length of 10'. To each their own. If you opt to go DIY do a fair amount of research on lengths and widths before you take the plunge.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    I didnt really have an option on width I chose thows measurements because I made it before i found this forum and jeff's page recommended it
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    Another reason I don't want to really attempt a DIY is the cost, I don't see myself using something I made, I would rather spend a little extra and get a whole new level of quality, plus it is real cold up here in Canada so there is very little real warm camping time. I don't mind the cold (cold on hot nights is a plus for me since I sleep hot) but I was thinking the HH with super shelter would extend my season more than some shifty homemade thing I attempted.

I think I will rent the Expedition, try it then shell out my savings for the Explorer if I like it.

Thanks for your feedback. Sorry for getting off topic.
    Kasuko

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    Another reason I don't want to really attempt a DIY is the cost, I don't see myself using something I made, I would rather spend a little extra and get a whole new level of quality, plus it is real cold up here in Canada so there is very little real warm camping time. I don't mind the cold (cold on hot nights is a plus for me since I sleep hot) but I was thinking the HH with super shelter would extend my season more than some shifty homemade thing I attempted.
    I remember saying something similar to Coffee. Don't worry, we won't hold it against you when you start talking about your DIY gear in a few months. It is really pretty basic stuff, just tedious and time consuming. But, there is a great reward when using gear you made yourself. Gives you a whole new level of pride and should not be discounted. At least, not so soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    I think I will rent the Expedition, try it then shell out my savings for the Explorer if I like it.
    Careful with that thinking. I am really not comfortable in my Expedition for more than a day or two. I'm 6' and feel cramped in it. My Explorer models are much more comfortable for me. There really is a big difference in feel between those two models IMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    Ok, I would like to continue but I dont think this is really along the line of a newbie setup and I don't want the first thing I did after joining was derail a sticky post. Please follow here. http://hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=141992

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    My Explorer models are much more comfortable for me. There really is a big difference in feel between those two models IMO.
    If you are a "big guy" you don't want to try the Expidition. I am ~250 and the explorer is as low as I would want to go in terms of size. If you want to go with the Explorer then try to rent that first and check it out.

I had better luck with my DIY hammocks after I had used a commercial hammock and knew what to expect. I currently sleep full time in a DIY hammock made to the dimensions of an ENO double nest. I can do that at home because I can rig up assist lines to get out. It is bigger than my Explorer but I was in the explorer over the weekend and really like it for camping.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    I have just finished my 3rd DIY. 1 Bridge type (that I love but not yet ready to take into the woods) and 2 asym gathered ends. All the plans, directions and advice have come from here ..... thanks to all that contribute.

My setup
    DIY 1.1oz digital camo ripstop $30
    DIY matching bug netting $20
    DIY tree huggers $4
    5mm cord $3 (found a local supplier and got a great deal)
    Misc thread/velcro $10
    Synthetic sleeping bag $35 (rated for 5*C)
    Therma-rest $75
    DIY tarp $60

Total - $237 ($127 if you concider that I already had the sleeping pad and blanket)
    5'9" 130lbs

Let's not give the wrong impression here. I was out this weekend (Sept 12) in my hammock (about 4 hours from Ottawa) and had to take my sleeping pad out of the hammock because I was sweating. If the key phrase is "warm camping time" ..... I agree that our season is shorter but I can comfortably camp (in my 3 season ground setup) for 9 months of the year. Not yet tested the hammocks to the exteme ends of our camping seasons, but we are going to push a little each time to find out limits.
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I thought it might be fun to post your very first hammock setup including prices if you can remember.

This was the setup that changed the way I hike.

HH ULBA w/ stock suspension 100.00 (used)
    Walmart CCF pad 7.00
    Gear Guide 9x9 Camo tarp. 30.00

Total 137.00
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The hammock that changed my world:
    UL Traveler $20

The hammock that converted me for good:
    HH Ultralight Explorer Deluxe Asym $40 (used)
    Walmart CCF <$10
    'Neo Tarp' $30 (I think)
    Trust nobody!

First time caller Long time listener
    After twenty years on the ground I have decided to move to the trees. Would very much like to get some imput on my gear choice. Planning a 2010 thrue hike leave March 1

Hammock BB
    Tarp McCat Deluxe (are doors an option)
    Insulation Yeti 3 season, pad, 20 degree bag w/bivy
    sock ? , is this neccessary

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast