Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clean View Post
    Ok first sleep last night. I had trouble laying flat, even though I was diagonal. I'm guessing I had too much sag. That would do it, right?
    That very well could have been the issue. Make sure you have that 30 degree angle on your suspension with 12-15 feet apart trees. That should give you the sag you need for a flat diagonal lay.

Re: Newbie Hammock Setups.

Here is what I plan on ordering Friday. The ENO double nest (I am a big guy, I look like I weigh 250 but I actually weigh 300) and a texsport 10x12 camo tarp. I have a cheap wally world pad and a sleeping bag already, plus it'll be in the mid 70s here on my first trip. I'm also getting a roll of polyester and some repel rings for my suspension. Throw in some cords and tent stakes and with shipping I'm looking at $100.00. This is my first setup. Good way to go or is something in there not a good idea?

Elk Hunting trip in October

This will be my first hammock hunting trip. I am looking for my first hammock for this trip and plan to use during hiking trips this spring and summer. I've always felt that to enjoy your adventures you need good gear,what ever you are doing,I need a hammock that sets up and takes down relatively quick. I was wanting to go with a clark northern hunter,hennesy expediton, or a warbonnet birdseye. Looking for advice. Staying warm will be a must,that will be my next search is insulation.

Hammock
    DH Freebird, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Tadpole, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ Tewa Antifreeze
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    Looks like a nice set up Brains.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR

Re: Newbie Hammock Setups.

I've come to the conclusion that the sag is the most critical item for comfort. I've put a SRL on all my hammocks. They are all good, but the Dangerbird is the best. I've made no changes to it, The Srl on it is perrrfect.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .

Help

I have been avoiding hammocks since 1968 when I had a bad experiance with one . But I have recently decided to bite the bullet and start hanging . Because
    1 I need a lighter kit . Not too light but better then my air mattress ground pad etc etc .

Disclaimer .... It does not have to be too light since I don't do much more then a mile or two and then I use a rickshaw or a sled . I don't like that real thin flimsy material . I was even thinking of one of those semi cotton Nicarauguan jobs .
    2 10,000 Bushcrafters can't be wrong
    3 I need a better nights sleep .

Special needs .
    Full figured . 5'll'' 250 pounds .
    Best sleeping configuration . I want one that is like a lazy boy in a semi reclined state .
    or if I can't have that at least I must sleep on my left side with my upper torso elevated .
    Feet must not be elevated so Im thinking something big enough to sleep diaganolly but then can I elevate my torso do you think
    ( wait til your 65 .... you'll understand )

Im thinking of a double such as Dicks Sporting goods Eagle something ...... Ill go get the pic

Here it is .. Eagles Nest double eagle . I kind of like the Byers of Main job with the spreader bars too .
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fa...goryId=4418100

What do you think

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    ENO is a great brand with a lot of people on here that used/still use them. They are a great entry hammock, but I personally think they are over priced for what they are. You can get much higher quality stuff from our cottage guys on here, such as buttinasling, dream hammocks, warbonnet, and more. These are all hand made one by one in the good ole us of a, and should you ever have any problems at all in the future with a product, these guys will bend over backwards to keep you totally content in their hammock/ accessories.

Just to reiterate, ENO is a good hammock, I just prefer the top notch customer service and keeping my hard earned dollars in the US.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

I just picked these up at Harbor Freight, to make some tree straps with. The packaging says the breaking strength is 1200lbs. I cut the buckle off and Swed loops on tot he end. Figured they would work for now till I place an order for stuff. I cant find Poly webbing anywhere around my by the foot.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH UL
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB TQ&amp; UQ
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguy View Post
    I just picked these up at Harbor Freight, to make some tree straps with. The packaging says the breaking strength is 1200lbs. I cut the buckle off and Swed loops on tot he end. Figured they would work for now till I place an order for stuff. I cant find Poly webbing anywhere around my by the foot.
    Try strapworks.com. There cheap and sell every material under the sun, reasonably priced.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    AHE TOXAWAY
    Insulation
    HG INCU/ EE REV X

First hammock set up

I'd prefer not think of what I spent but my first hammock is as follows

Warbonnet Xlc 1.7
    Web suspension
    Hammock gear incubator 20 degree uc
    Enlightened Equipment RevelationX 40 degree summer quilt