DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Not sure if the gore Tex sock is the best way to go but I sure would like one

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

gore-tex alt uq

My 2¢ ever since Gore-Tex patent expired there have been many alternatives to this fabric. Some are much better. Google up the sticky HF article on sensible & insensible persperation, condensation etc. It is not simple.

I actually own the Gortex sock in question. I used it early February for a weekend camping trip with a group of friends. I decided at the last minute to put up a tarp because of the freezing rain that we were slated to get, and this was my first time using the sock. Ultimately, I think it was unnecessary, but a drip line is a good idea in such weather.

Temps got down to 19 degrees, and I know the sock helped. I was using a 20 degree JRB underquilt with a WBBB. I had more trouble keeping the underquilt snug to the hammock within the sock than with anything else. I ended up using a bungee cord to hook the JRB tabs over my ridgeline, and that did the trick.

The first night I kept a small portion of the zipper open, but closed it midway through the night. The second night I tightened up the suspension holes too - and never had any air quality issues.

I did collect some water in the bottom of the sock, but that may have been from my lack of a drip line and the rain getting inside. (my hammock stayed dry)

It is both heavy and bulky and not something I think I'd carry with me on a backpacking trip - but we do a lot of car camping with friends, and we're ramping up our winter hanging experience so I felt this was a worthwhile investment. (especially as I sleep colder than cold)

Last edited by Tau; 03-13-2014 at 03:52.
    Our hiking blog: http://tauspotting.com/

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I can't find the thread, but wasn't there a hang on Roan Mt a few years ago where all the tarps were pulled off their stakes and only the folks with socks (only, no tarp) were snug in their beds? Was it Medicine Man?

Anyway, obviously they can and are being used. Seems to me a hammock and sock would be a lot better in snow than a tent. I'm sure their are winter campers who might disagree, but I wouldn't think snow accumulation would be much of an issue with the sock.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Vapor Barrier Liners sticky article

Brock, be sure to read dejoha's sticky HF article "Illustration - Vapor Barrior Liners (VBL)" along with his book and years of experience with countless gear; he and Shug have tried out almost every variation some of us can imagine. These solutions all have their pros and cons. I have experimented with candles (home made multi-wick in tuna or altroides tins) in Ti or Alum wood stove, inverted clay pot, river stone suspended in fiberglass fabric etc to dissipate moist air and add heat. I'm not eager to recommend these because someone lacking in common sense will probably ignite their hammock/tarp and cause themselves serious injury or death. But you get the general idea there are hundreds of ideas and variations on dozens of concepts to experiment with in your own backyard then field test. Finally share with HF community.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12