Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Any suggestions for a 3 day trip to the Sipsy wilderness?

Hey guys, I am thinking about a trip to the Sipsy wilderness in AL some time in April. Looks like a 3 day trip -------I've never been there and was wondering what you would trails you would suggest. I love to hike, but usually keep my days to 10 miles or under (knees are a dodgy, and I have to be very careful with them--lots of breaks, stretches etc.) What are some of the highlites or must see areas of the sipsy?
    Last edited by stevebo; 03-01-2014 at 12:06.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Hey guys, I am thinking about a trip to the Sipsy wilderness in AL some time in April. Looks like a 3 day trip -------I've never been there and was wondering what you would trails you would suggest. I love to hike, but usually keep my days to 10 miles or under (knees are a dodgy, and I have to be very careful with them--lots of breaks, stretches etc.) What are some of the highlites or must see areas of the sipsy?
    Hey Stevebo, thinking about heading over this way, eh? If my health is back up to par, maybe I can meet up with you, unless you are wanting to go solo or something like that.

In that case, there are a bunch of good ways to go. But the first and simplest that comes to mind is, if you are coming in on 278 from over GA way, is to go to Double Springs AL(N34.1602 W87.4116) and turn north(RT) on Hwy 33(or if you are coming by a more northerly route from GA go to Moulton, AL and turn south on 33). After turning north from Double Springs, drive roughly 12 -13 miles to Hwy 60/CR6(N34.31303°, W87.34635) and turn lt(west). ( roughly same distance south from Moulton)

You are in the middle of it now. You can go ~ .6 mile to CR5(N34.3116, W87.3571) and turn rt(NW) and go about 2.5 miles and park at Borden bridge(~ N34.30975°, W87.39462) over Borden creek. Hike from there roughly 2 miles south on trail 200 to the Sipsey river by a well developed trail on the lt(east) side of Borden, but you will have to crawl through a little cave called dead mans squeeze, and if it has been raining much you will have to do a maybe waist deep crossing at the Borden/Sipsey intersection( N34.29222°, W87.39996). (There is a current thread here showing this.) If the water is real high you can just go down the other side of Borden(on the west side still heading roughly south). Trail is not official but is not too bad. just follow the creek more or less to the Sipsey River.

Then you can turn rt(NW) on trail 209 for roughly 1/2 mile to Fall Creek falls, and camp in that vicinity or keep on going and going.

You can follow 209 west roughly another 3.5 miles to Bee Branch(N34.31831°, W87.45073) and follow that creek to north to east Bee Branch falls and the Big Tree I think is about there. Or keep on another mile or two from Bee Branch to Eye of the Needle/Shiprock(N34.32172°, W87.46865). All of this is still on 209 if you stay on the Sipsey.

And you can do almost the same route to start with, but if you prefer, rather than parking at Borden Bridge, keep on driving on Hwy60/CR6 from Hw 33 about 3.6 miles too the Sipsey Recreation area parking area and park on the Sipsey River. You can then hike north about 1/2 mile or so on trail 200 and you are back at the inersection of Sipsey/Borden creeks and trail 209.

There's a couple to get you started! You need this map for one:
    http://www.briartech.com/sipseyonepagea.pdf
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-02-2014 at 09:24.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    http://www.sipseywilderness.org

Requied reading for someone that's never been there. Check out their trail descriptions.
    Been trying to get a hang together for sometime in early April. Maybe 4,5,6.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post

Requied reading for someone that's never been there. Check out their trail descriptions.
    Sounds like a plan! Because if I can get recovered I am ready to get out!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post

Hey Stevebo, if you want to join up with some folks some of the guys are trying to get a trip together in April over on this thread:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...71#post1211071

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Billy bob and squidbilly, thanks for all the great info! I'm not sure about April 4,5 6------I need to talk to the wife about plans. I would love to hike with you guys some time (never been to a hang before!)--------Thanks!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    $25 Walmart special
    Tarp
    Custom Squidbilly
    Insulation
    DYI UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/huggers
    If you have dicey knees I'd suggest doing that Bee Branch section north to The Tree lightly loaded. Lots of log jumping on that trail. I got half way and ditched the pack. Wish I would have dumped it earlier at the start near Sipsey Creek.

• + New Posts