Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    To be clear that offer is open for anyone, not just HamMike. PM me with any posts that are bothering you and what specifically you find problematic. I may or may not agree with you/act on it but I am interested in your feedback.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I have noticed no such thing, but am not saying that to disagree, only to say here's a member who hasn't seen such a change. Perhaps I don't visit all the forums y'all do. I'll pay a little more attention.

I definitely agree that the members and mods do need to keep this the family-friendly, and collegial place it has been. If you see an objectionable post, report it. I trust you each have done that with the objectionable posts that you saw. And, I thank you for that.

Rain Man
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I've not noticed much of a change either. Nothing that would require significant changes by either the mods or the members, anyway.
    Same here, I have not really noticed a big difference, minimal if at all. But then again, I don't read or interact on the vast majority of threads. I can scroll down an entire page or two before I see a thread that might interest me with something different or on which I feel I might have something useful to add. So, I could miss it easy.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    To be clear that offer is open for anyone, not just HamMike. PM me with any posts that are bothering you and what specifically you find problematic. I may or may not agree with you/act on it but I am interested in your feedback.
    Well said Octo, I'll have to dig up specific concerns. My post is a general call to revisit our kinder gentler ways not an attack on the mods. I know you guys are unpaid and can only do so much. I will be more active in addressing concerns as I see them. Maybe thats part of my problem as I tend to hold my toungue and let things build up.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7d
    Tarp
    HG WinterPalace
    Suspension
    straps whoopie
    I have always found the folks on this forum as kind and patient and understanding. I come to this site because of the way people treat one another. On other outdoor site its like a constance argument and a whole lot of drama. That is not the case imo here

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I would also like to piggy back was Octo said. With the influx of new members and the rapid increase of postings it is very hard for the mods to monitor everything. I would personally thank those that silently help out with the policing of threads, report them and explain what is wrong with the post. You know who you are and you have my sincere thank you.

Folks the mods are greatly out numbered. Regardless of how well we police the forum, the general population has a greater influence then the mods. By your actions, behavior and attitude you all help mold this forum. With that said having been part of the new team for a while now, for the most part the majority of you have stayed on course. I haven't seen too much change in the overall attitude but thanks HamMike for reminding all of us in what everyone cherishes on this forums. Respect for one another and a welcoming attitude. Thank you all who show this every day.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Ask not what your forum can do for you but rather what you can do for your forum!

Going back to picking lint from my belly button now.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Forum Civility

As a member of the general population i am far more receptive to a private message that assumes that my "rude" comment was misunderstood and meant no harm. Thus i would never call out someone publicly and hopefully be very tactful in suggesting a better way to do something (if i'm not very sleepy).

But if i see something that strikes me as inappropriate i hope i always treat them as i wish to be treated myself and do not escalate it, but PM them very graciously and with a polite message and not just expect a mod to "catch' it. Like the US Federal Gov, this forum requires a lot of energy to maintain, not perfect but better than virtually all others in the World. Go live in the Ukraine if you doubt it, my Grandmother was born there, God bless my relatives...

Keep up the great work mods!

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Words are cheap and words on the internet are dirt cheap . As long as you can type a comment and send it without looking a guy in the face you'll have some rudeness .
    As a veteran of a couple of other forums I admit this one seems awfully polite .
    One forum I was on was so full of ridicule I asked the moderators to please ban me for life so I wouldn't ever be tempted to return .

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I am anothe who has noticed a substantial change. It is in part why I have chosen to post less and even frequent less as of late. However, I feel it begaan before the last mods left (there was a stip to some ideas being exchanged due to othes taking them and incorporating them as part of thei business). But it really seemed to jump after the change of mods. That said they can only do so much and it will be an uphill battle to keep the true nature of HF strong with the number of new members.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    I've been here practically from the beginning, and I admit, I don't post very often, but I do sign on 360 out of 365 days a year. That by no means makes me an expert, but I, like others have seen a change. Not huge, but a subtle one. All the Mods, past and present do a great job controlling the masses. It's a job that I would not want. With that being said, it is up to each member to be within the HF TOS and be civil. This forum has a uniqueness that I would hate to see diminish.

Prior to HF, the "other channel" was the place to be to discuss this phenomena called hanging. I can't tell you how many members got blasted for ideas, opinions, and whatever way you hiked your own hike stuff. I was PM'ed once and was called a "horses @**" for sleeping in a fold of nylon suspended between two trees, and was told that with a little luck, my straps or biners would fail and I would crack my skull open. I was done there, right then.

This place was then, and is today, a breath of fresh air, forum speaking. The ideas, talent, expertise and knowledge is amazing. A hanger has his car broken into and gear stolen, the community replaces it. An idea is shared on a new suspension system with an adjustable line consisting of a fixed eye splice on one end and an adjustable loop splice on the other end, it's embraced and marveled. Just two examples of why I come here.

I just hope it stays the course......and I'm sure it will.

Thanks. I'll step off my soapbox now..........
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast