Hammock
    TX-270, TTTM
    Tarp
    CCS, Vertex
    Insulation
    HG, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    HammockFan &Straps
    I made the decision you are thinking about. I do not know, yet, if it was a good decision or not. Time will tell. I just posted a 'teaser' clip in the Clark Jungle Hammock sub forum and hope to provide much more detail regarding the Flex-180 and its viability regarding a two person hammock for an adult and child. I recognized that the child would feel more comfortable being right next to me. I understand that the "same" result can be obtained with a large tarp and separate hammocks but it still creates a feeling of separateness to the child, good or bad. I don't know when you plan to make your decision but I hope to have more info, from personal experience, over the next few months.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Welcome from a dad of 3.

That sounds like a good 2 person hammock so far. My initial thoughts were that when you get up 1 time or several times at night to pee, it may severely interfere with getting in/out/comfortable again for 1 or both of you. But, if the hammock has a separation in the middle, it may be worth it.

For me, I would rather hang 2 separate hammocks from the same 2 trees using a small bar(sticks, pvc, etc) at the head and foot suspensions if trying to maintain a very minimal separation. I think that would allow you to stop the anxiety of separation(your still touching) and also allow for both of you to grow into future separate hammocks.

You could always get a large bugnet zippered on both sides for easy access by both hammocks. You would also be able to use a single tarp. And, when your on your own, you have your own hammock with no extra weight added from a double hammock.

The con is you still need individual insulation for both rigs.

Good luck on your search.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I am not familiar with the Flex-180, but it looks like it would do well. My only concern is insulation. Can you hang 2 UQ's under it? The Vertex, while more expensive may be a better option. I did have one of these, and I think it would fit your need better. Two seperate beds and each with their own insulation. (this will cost more, but will be worth it) Your daughter will be right there near you, and easy to get to in case she crys out for you. Also with the vertex, your tossing and turning and getting in and out will not bother the other sleeper so much. Good luck in your hammock purchase, and I wish you and your daughter many enjoyable camping trips.

Also, in reference to the nose bleeds. I also suffer from this since my nose surgery. Get some saline nose spray, it does wonders. Just a squirt in each nostral before bed, and she should be fine and no nose bleeds.
    "No whining in the woods"

Agree, think easier if can have own space but yet be able to check on her. Here's a pic (hopefully shows!) from last summer of my kiddos, granted was just a local area camping couple of nights, not a distance hike or backpacking in, but they loved trying it this way!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    TX-270, TTTM
    Tarp
    CCS, Vertex
    Insulation
    HG, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    HammockFan &Straps
    For reference, the following (2012) thread has some good pictures and thoughts regarding the Flex-180: http://hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51720

The Flex-180 is a single person hammock with 'extra storage space' that can be used for a person or gear. The Vertex is a designated two person hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    +1 for 3 trees an 2 hammocks.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Z-Liner 250
    Suspension
    Stock (for now)
    No the Flex and Vertex are two different models The Vertex is a true 2 person hammock with connective space linking the two pods together
    The Vertex is more like a 1 1/2 person hammock ( your option of having one person sleeping solo and diagonal OR one person and one small adult sleeping in the other half pod)

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Z-Liner 250
    Suspension
    Stock (for now)
    Wow thank you all for the comments many great answers and I am new here so I thought my answering of the " are they the same hammock" likedcto the post... now I see it here and it just looks so out of place grrrr....

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Is the Vertex and flex180 the same model?
    OandB,

The Vertex and Flex 180 are not the same. The Vertex is for two, the Flex 180 is for one.

www.junglehammock.com

Personally I'd take your way, ie., three trees and one tarp, but I unerstand the OP's point about the nose bleeds and getting to the little one. Trade off I guess.

All the best.
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12