Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New NA

Images
    I've used leaves to extend the rage of my sleeping bag in a sudden cold snap. They do work quite well for insulation. As far as the CCF pad, others here will disagree but I never hike without some sort of ground insulation (usually a CCF pad but sometimes a small inflatable) and a lightweight groundsheet. If I was injured or had an equipment failure or whatever, As long as I have a pad I can stay warm on the ground. It also doubles as a sit pad during the day and might come in handy for the places you will be planting you fanny in that jungle. I haven't been in a jungle in more than 20 years and even then it wasn't a peaceful situation. I envy you and know that you will learn a lot from your experience. Look before you step Stay safe and have a good time!
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    I'm not too concerned about what would be in the leaves. I am sure there will be a fair number of nights I will be sleeping on the ground in a primitive shelter I make myself.
    Wha...wha... whaaaat? Jungle = trees. Trees = hammock. Hammock = sleep. Why on earth would you be "sleeping" on the GROUND?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Jungle is right up at the top of my list of places I'm not sleeping on the ground. But, I think I'd be opting for a ccf pad over any type of uq. Not really the rain that bothers you. The tree canopy is generally so thick that the only thing that makes it down to you is straight falling rain; very little to zero windblown rain. So your quilts should stay dry under cover of the tarp. However, the humidity is permanent in most jungles and quite heavy. Nothing you can do to combat that, so your quilts are going to be perma-damp.

I suspect you're a pretty knowledgeable fella, but just in case. IF you use leaves for your insulation (good idea BTW) be sure you smoke them first. Not like rolling them up and relaxing smoking, but like putting them in a seine or netting of some kind and holding them above the fire to get smoked. Some horribly nasty critters live in those leaves, best to get them out before you use them.

Sounds like a blast! Should be a challenge to be sure. Safe Journey.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    2 months in the Jungle, I would go ccf. nothing can go wrong with a ccf pad that I know of.

Not an expert, but I would seriously consider getting the tropical rather than the NA for a jungle trip and skipping on the pad altogether..

I spent 4 nights over Memorial Day weekend in a brand new Clark NA in Texas.. My first hammock experience. Probably dropped into the 60's at night. Very still air, almost no breeze.

First night I opened up the mosquito netting to increase circulation. Pulled everything out of the pockets the following morning cause I felt like I was melting during the night. And I'm a cold sleeper!! Cranked the fly up as high as I could and slept on top of my 40 degree bag for the next 3 nights..

I think there's a reason Clark makes the Tropical....

If you haven't already, check out Jeff Randall's site for Jungle tips...

I agree about the Tropical. I bought a NA first and still plan on keeping it for cooler weather but my first hang in is was quite warm. Last week I got the Tropical and this past weekend hung in it. I could tell the difference. The tropical is not as hot as the NA. I still have yet to test the Hennesy Expedition I bought.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Here's my thought. Since you are going to be in a position where it could possibly rain for extended periods, how about more than one tarp? When it's really bad, and not letting up, hang one tarp over the other for added protection. When it's cold, if you sewed up some velcro tabs to the ends, you could fold the tarp up, fill it with leaves, and hang it under the hammock for some nice insulation. That way it could have a dual purpose. Would be lighter than carrying an underquilt and give you the extra tarp you just might need.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I think we may be all gear heads and are missing the point. He seems to want to go with almost nothing. Hack I don't know what you are up to but is sounds very brave. You better go somewhere with alot of vegitation to eat since you are a vegitarian. Can I suggest a mango field would be a nice place to set up. You and Kiwi don't have alot of body fat for reserves either. I hope you have a safe and fulfilling journey. I don't like to go 3 days without a resupply of chocolate. Let us know haw it went, that should be one heck on a trip report.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Wha...wha... whaaaat? Jungle = trees. Trees = hammock. Hammock = sleep. Why on earth would you be "sleeping" on the GROUND?

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    I agree about the Tropical. I bought a NA first and still plan on keeping it for cooler weather but my first hang in is was quite warm. Last week I got the Tropical and this past weekend hung in it. I could tell the difference. The tropical is not as hot as the NA. I still have yet to test the Hennesy Expedition I bought.
    Hello my name is Riverpirate and I am an hammock addict like most of the rest of you in this room.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast