Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, Toxawa
    Insulation
    yeti, Leighlo
    Suspension
    Straps and sticks
    I sleep at home on a tempurpedic foam mattress 8"'thick. It must have an r-value several times what the best underquilt or pad would have, yet I sleep on it from at least 60 to 90 degrees. I certainly would use it down to zero, and I have one in a camper I've used to zero. I do this only regulating my top covers. Other than the weight penalty I am inclined to think a really warm underquilt or insulated hammock could be used from zero to 60 anyway, just based on my experience in my home bed. I've never done it so I don't know, but what would be different?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Bigmuddy, there is truth in what you say, but don't forget that a hammock wraps around your sides quite a bit, so it's in close contact with a much larger percentage of your surface area, and air circulation (when you want it) isn't as good.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    These are all solid points on the pros and cons of insulated hammocks. I've taken into consideration each of these when designing my Sheltowee Hammocks.

First the venting issue. My integrated quilt is really only attached about 6 inches along the sides of the hammock, but is attached along both ends, and incorporated into the whipping or gather of the hammock. The quilt layer is sufficiently longer than the hammock bed, so it hangs well below, solving the compression issue (for many different body shapes and sizes), and also allows total venting; you can pull the quilt completely out from under you for a quick cool down.

Next, the hammock repair issue. Because the hammock body is only attached along the ends and a bit along the sides, repairs or replacement are easy, and cost effective. It is no trouble to ungather the ends, rip the seams where the two layers are attached, and replace the hammock bed with another.

Ease of use and quick set-up are definite pros; as is modularity. One product reviewer likened the Sheltowee 40° Boone hammock to a base layer. Because insulation is needed in pretty much all seasons (deep south and tropical summers excluded), the 40° could be used in all seasons, easily stacking traditional UQ's inside the integrated quilt, when the temperature drops. Weight isn't really saved because there are still three layers of fabric, but what is gained is a hassle free, guaranteed warm hammock that can be used all year long.

I still consider Sheltowee a start up company, serving an niche product in a niche market as RR said... but there will be those who are early adopters and there will also remain skeptics. There is more work to be done with Sheltowee, but I'd like to offer a rental program of my hammocks, where you can try out an insulated hammock for a week or weekend or however long, essentially for free (just pay shipping both ways) to try and get as many people trying them as possible. Also, look for hosted hangs in the KY and Southeast region of the US where you can try out a Sheltowee!
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by Wlb007 View Post
    Since seeing several posts about insulated Hammocks, I am wondering more and more if it is not the better solution. A hammock with a sewn on underquilt would eliminate the extra suspension and any problems with placement or compression.

Why has this not taken off? Having never seen one I do not know the down side. Is it the expense of having multiple hammocks for different seasons? All that I have seen posted were deep winter hammocks. I am interested in one with just a light weight under layer good to about 50°.

I wondered, why not have a zipper on both sides of the hammock - bug net zip on i the warm months, and underquilt zip on when it gets cold enough to use an UQ? If you need a UQ does that not normally say its too cold for bugs?

I am still trying to work out my first system, and need a bug net, would love a zip on but don't have a sewing machine.

What about a zip on UQ/Bugnet convertible?
    Scott
    Herndon, VA
    (Looking for others to see how their setup works locally)

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sdveirs View Post
    I wondered, why not have a zipper on both sides of the hammock - bug net zip on i the warm months, and underquilt zip on when it gets cold enough to use an UQ? If you need a UQ does that not normally say its too cold for bugs?

I am still trying to work out my first system, and need a bug net, would love a zip on but don't have a sewing machine.

What about a zip on UQ/Bugnet convertible?
    you could probably DIY something like that, the trick will be making the UQ long enough to accommodate the stretch of the hammock; maybe a pleated zipper??

but I think you'll find that although you don't always need a bug net, you WILL need insulation 90% of the time. you'd be surprised how warm it can be and still feel a chill on yur backside (at 70 degrees for most).

although, using a synthetic sleeping bag and zipping into it then laying down could get you into the 50's potentially... (BC synthetic resists compression more do than down) but that's bulky and IMO, not as comfy as a UQ (or insulated hammock) / TQ (or sleeping bag draped over yu) combo.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge Hammock
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobertson View Post
    I like being able to adjust my underquilt, and you cant on a sewn on quilt. Not only this, but you can vent an underquilt, or remove it during warmer temps. cant do that with the latter.
    I think the idea behind a sewn in quilt is that you don't have to adjust it. and as for venting, heat rises so you can vent with the top half. I would have a cold weather hammock and one for warm weather without the added insulation.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Every time I go cold weather camping it seems that somebody is adjusting their underquilt because they're cold . I think I had gaps is what I hear the most . I was trying to help a guy dial iin his underquilt last week and he had gaps for sure . That's because his UQ was meant to seal against a perfect semi circle and the bottom of his hammock looked like a mountain range with big ravines where air could get between the UQ and the hammock . I'd just as soon make adjusting all the time unnecessary .

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234