Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Personally I think the far better and easier method is to simply insert wooden dowels inside the trekking pole being used to limit compression to the desired length.

There would be no question of the integrity of the pole and by the simple expedient of removing the dowels, the original integrity would be restored.

but i'm thinking to hang from it you'd need the poles at max length, i don't use hp's so don't know how far they extend, but it seems like you'd be packing around some really long dowles while you were hiking with your shortened poles

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    If you were going to use dowels inside of a hollow pole, there's no reason why you couldn't cut the dowels down into smaller pieces. I would think they would stack just fine inside the hiking poles, and they're not going to go anywhere.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    For those of you inclined to use a hiking staff and who also have a lot of $$$ you might consider the LuxuryLite Big Survival Stick

http://www.luxurylite.com/ssindex.html

It looks stout enough, is 54 inches (1.37m) tall, weights about 9 oz (255g) and breaks down to 23 inches (58 cm). Apparently can also be used as a spear or knife so you could save weight on your food by hunting

At $199 it's a steal

-SlowBro

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    If you were going to use dowels inside of a hollow pole, there's no reason why you couldn't cut the dowels down into smaller pieces. I would think they would stack just fine inside the hiking poles, and they're not going to go anywhere.
    i guess they might stack if they were the same size dia. or close to the inside dia. of the pole.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Agreed and the fact Basic Math was the limit of my understanding in Junior High, Physics would have blown my head off.
    RTR, based on the picture in your avatar, I would wholeheartedly agree.

Hammock
    DD camping hammock 2008
    Tarp
    NONE
    Insulation
    a blanket
    the staff idea looks great... but i was reading one thread where on guy said the best thing to do when you don't have enough is just to setup the tarp using ski poles or the hiking staff and sleep on the ground. and thats what i am intending to do. this is way to complicated for me to setup.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Ok, so I've been playing with this for a while. sorry no pictures. My biggest issue was anchoring. I found some nice sturdy old ski poles and set my rig up. First major problem, It required two decent sized stakes to anchor in. I'm not a heavy guy by any means and the thought of trusting those two stakes overnight did not sit well. So I went out into the desert to run a test or two. Yanked out a sagebrush the first time. Luckily I wasn't hanging on a hammock I cared about either. Second time I ties off to the base of a juniper that was too small to hang from and used that as an anchor. That did better, but I had to really search to find the right spot.

Images
    you might be ok if you used more stakes, this it the major issue i believe though, especially if the soil is poor. someone noted that you could severely reduce the force on the stakes by angling the support a good bit.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Yeah I read that on here somewhere as well. For me it is the weight issue. How much more weight do I have to carry in order for something like this to work. We've already talked about reinforcing the poles and using a hiking staff instead of poles.

I still think this is a viable idea if you are in a situation where the trees are too far apart to hang, but you can still use a second tree to anchor yourself.

Images
    i'd gladly carry 10 extra groundhogs if that's what i had to do to hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast