Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Lightbulb

I was thinking about something like this a couple nights ago. What if you had an aluminum or carbon fiber staff (or pair of them) long enough to hang a hammock from - instead of the length being adjustable, the handle could be moved up/down the shaft to change the effective length for up/down hill hiking?

For extra stiffness without too much weight, the hollow shaft could be filled with expanding foam. Maybe the handles could be attached/interlocked to make a bipod, and the tips could have loops to attach a length of cord so the base of the bipod wouldn't spread apart under load.

It works in my head, but so far, I've spent more time reading about hammocks than hanging in them. I should probably hang from some trees before trying to figure out more advanced techniques!

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    What about using a composite hockey stick shaft? They're about the right size, and the kevlar/carbon-fiber composites are stronger and lighter than any comparable wooden staff. They'll also be quite a bit cheaper (and I'd wager stronger) than the previously mentioned sectional staff.

I just dragged my old stick out of a closet and it measures about 50-56 inches, depending on how I cut the blade. Better yet, it is designed to take the wooden handle and blade inserts at each end, so if I buy a couple extra handles I'll have solid wood sacrificial ends that I can modify/abuse and later discard without damaging the structure of the shaft.

Buying 2 shafts might get expensive, but it would be easy to get identical pairs for those who wanted to use 2 like trekking poles instead of staffs.

Edit: The more I think about this the more intrigued I am by the possibilities. Have done a bit of research and have come up with some interesting numbers. Composite shafts for hockey sticks weigh on average between 270g and 350g, or 9.5-12.5 oz. This will go up some once wooden end plugs are added, but base weight is on par with the collapsible walking staffs and less than a pair of trekking poles. Prices are about the same and often much less than hiking staffs and poles. I have decided to play with this a little more and just ordered a 51" titanium-reinforced composite shaft for $20. https://www.hockeyworld.com/prodHome...tID=173&shop=1

These things are designed to take far more punishment than anything the average hiker will ever dish out and are especially strong in compression and when taking lateral loads. I'm a little worried that they might not hold up my fat butt, but I can't imagine someone below the 250# range having problems.
    Last edited by salmonofdoubt; 07-31-2009 at 00:30.
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    This is interesting. I've only seen this idea come up one other time. Keep at it and keep us posted.
    Hangin' Burrito

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Interesting but I do not think I'd feel comfortable that a pole or stick would be very reliable in holding the hammock up with me in it. If I didn't have any good trees to hang from I guess I'd...do I dare say it...go to the ground.
    Last time I was out west (some time ago), I used large rock formations to hang from. among other things, we were climbing so we had nuts and bolts that we used to give us the tie off points - I've also seen folks just tie around the rocks themself (is you have enough cord).
    -b

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - Dr Who

my scouting resources

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by six30nine View Post
    ... instead of the length being adjustable, the handle could be moved up/down the shaft to change the effective length for up/down hill hiking?
    I like this idea - any suggestion on the mechanics to do this quickly and securely?
    -b

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - Dr Who

my scouting resources

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    instead of the length being adjustable, the handle could be moved up/down the shaft to change the effective length for up/down hill hiking?
    To be most effective The strap would need to movable as well. May not be a problem with the proper mechanics but it is another consideration.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I like this idea - any suggestion on the mechanics to do this quickly and securely?
    Maybe I missed something, but depending on the "handle," what about a plain ol prussik knot?

Rain Man

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    CCF pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Or a Kleimheist type Knot (It would get the handle to the top, not coming out of the middle of the knot)

Just a thought

-CS

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    Originally Posted by six30nine View Post
    ... instead of the length being adjustable, the handle could be moved up/down the shaft to change the effective length for up/down hill hiking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    To be most effective The strap would need to movable as well. May not be a problem with the proper mechanics but it is another consideration.
    If we're talking about a hiking staff then the simplest solution might be to just use an extra long handle section (instead of wrapping just 6 inches for a handgrip, wrap 12 or 15 to accommodate multiple grip heights.) For the strap, you could use a loop of webbing that would be long enough for ascents (lowest handle position), then double it back on itself for descending (highest handle position), and for everything else in between just wrap half-hitches around the shaft to take up the length and make it as long or short as you desire.

Do prussik or kliemheist knots still bind properly when using webbing? Also, since they're designed to only bind under load, will they slip when you lift the staff to walk?

Speaking of handle wrapping, I need to find something to help round out the rectangular profile of my hockey-stick-staff. As is, hiking with it would quickly become very uncomfortable due to the squared edges hitting pressure points in your hand. I have been thinking about using cork blanks or cork tape for fly fishing rods, or perhaps the synthetic cork tape used for bicycle handlebars. Weight is of course a concern, but at this point I'm more worried about proof of concept than shedding ounces. If push comes to shove I can always epoxy some wooden strips on the flat edges, sand them to shape, and then cover with grip tape, but I was hoping for something that would give a little and minimize vibration since the hockey stick in question is VERY rigid. Any thoughts or suggestions would be most helpful, thanks.
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by six30nine View Post
    For extra stiffness without too much weight, the hollow shaft could be filled with expanding foam. Maybe the handles could be attached/interlocked to make a bipod, and the tips could have loops to attach a length of cord so the base of the bipod wouldn't spread apart under load.
    The foam would add weight with no structural benefit what-so-ever. If the tubing is bending the foam will merely compress and be useless.

As for a bipod, Stony Point makes an attachment for their hiking poles for forming 2 into a bipod.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast